Weekly Recruiting Update 3/24 - 3/30

PassedOutAwake

R.I.P RichRollin
2014 Recruiting:
Saturday:
  • Gavin Bryant grades looking good and expected to clear. Hendrix may have to take summer classes.
  • Regarding Kameel Jackson walking on: "Hearing it is a possibility and he would like the opportunity. It's just something we are going to see if it works out for all parties involved." -Fortenberry

Current Commits:
Monday:
  • Preston Williams: He said he’s still “hoping to visit UCLA, USC and probably Syracuse,” and he “might take two” official visits later this year. But Williams, who’s planning to be an early enrollee, said he’s still sold on Tennessee at this point. “I mean, if I could sign now, I would,” he said. -247
Tuesday:
Saturday:
  • "First off, Tennessee's three commitments had nice days today. I know coming into the even some wondered how Dylan Jackson and Zach Stewart would do coming into Georgia going against a lot better talent than they were used to. Both faired really well, today, particularly Stewart. Stewart weighed in at 322 pounds and when he got his hands on you the rep was over. He was beat a few times by smaller guys, but when he went against true defensive tackles he won the rep. He has good feet for someone his size and really had a good day today." -Fortenberry
  • Dylan Jackson: "Jackson still has to continue to get bigger and stronger and play a little lower, still plays a little too upright, but he comes off the ball quick for a guy with his length. Those long arms make it hard to get into him and he was able to get around the edge several times today." -Fortenberry

QB Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Zach Gentry: "Four-star QB Zach Gentry will visit Tennessee this weekend. He hopes to have a commitment made "by the summer." Other remaining visits for Gentry include Oklahoma State, Alabama and possibly Texas." -Rob Cassidy, Rivals
  • Zach Gentry: "I know whole lot more about Texas than a lot of the other places because they are the same staff that offered me at Louisville," Gentry said. "I actually went and met them I in person last summer. I'm just familiar with them. I have a good relationship with Coach [Shawn] Watson, who is the quarterback coach there now. Then, with the facilities and the tradition, it's hard not to like it." Gentry may visit Texas this offseason and is in the process of discussing those details with his father. Other trips, however, are already set in stone. Gentry will visit Tennessee on Mar. 29 and Oklahoma State on Apr. 5. "A couple weeks after Oklahoma State, I'm going to visit Alabama for the spring game. After that, we'll probably be able to fit Texas in somewhere. I'm pretty sure we will." "Quarterbacks commit early and I just want to be able know where I'm headed going into my senior year," Gentry said. "I'll have a commitment by the summer." -Rivals
  • Zach Gentry: "Zach Gentry is scheduled to be at Tennessee this weekend and will be in town some time on Friday. Gentry definitely has a good relationship with the Tennessee coaches and it will be a pivotal visit for him." -Fort
  • Torrance Gibson: "Florida quarterback Torrance Gibson is expected at practice on Thursday as he's making his way around to several schools this week. He's at Auburn today." -Fort
Thursday:
  • Lorenzo Nunez: According to Clemson Rivals article Nunez's top group is believed to be UT, OSU and Clemson and they believe UT is the front runner due to "the depth chart and the presence of Josh Dobbs". It says he will be visiting UT next weekend and plans to make a decision after spring. (summarized by Ron Swanson)
  • Lorenzo Nunez: "I think he's very interested in Tennessee. He's been on campus at Tennessee probably more than any other school. I think he may be in the group right below the No. 1 target guys like Gentry, Gibson and Winbush. But, I'm hearing Tennessee is likely to try and take two quarterbacks so that may change where everyone is on the board a little." -Fortenberry
  • Torrance Gibson: “I don’t have date, but I’ll be making my decision most likely a little after the spring or summer,” Gibson told 247Sports.com’s Ohio State affiliate. “I just feel l need to commit early to help recruit my class in order to build a team and win a national championship.” - SDS
  • Torrance Gibson: "Gibson had a lot of positive things to say about his Tennessee visit from last night today. He said he really liked Tennessee's academic program for their athletes and liked getting to spend one-on-one time with Butch Jones and really believed in his plan and what he's trying to build at Tennessee. Gibson said he plans on being back at Tennessee in two weeks for the spring game. He also is hoping to see LSU's spring game next weekend. Don't look for anything soon to happen as he wants to take his time with his process and as of right now his plan is to take official visits during or after his season and then commit. But, he left impressed with Tennessee and what they had to offer. I'll have the full story later this evening once practice is finished." -Fortenberry
  • Torrance Gibson: "First, they have great academics. That's the first and most important thing," Gibson said. "Then, they have a great football team and a great coaching staff and I feel like coach Butch (Jones) is getting the team in the right direction and I believe in his plan." "I talked to all the coaches and a lot of players believed in his vision and his plan and that's why he had so many top recruits in the nation in 2014 and he might have another top recruiting class in 2015 when a lot of players commit, like myself, but I still have to take these official visits," Gibson explained. "Just the vision that coach Butch has for this program. The program started from the bottom and now they are going to rise to the top and I can see that in his vision. Also, just the campus and the fans are crazy. They're excited about their program and they are seeking a national championship, too, and I can feel it. "They told me they didn't take a quarterback in the last class and I was surprised because every college takes a quarterback and they said they were waiting on me," Gibson said. "A lot of coaches don't say that, they always take quarterbacks and so I was surprised they didn't. That's a big opportunity for me and for me to work my way to a starting position." "First, I want to finish out my senior season so I can win another state championship and then I'm going to take my official visits, either after the season or during," Gibson explained. "Then, I'm going to narrow it down and then just tell everyone I'm going to commit and it will be after my senior year." -VQ
  • Torrance Gibson: “I thought (the campus) wasn’t even that big,” he said. “I thought it was, like, a small campus, so that stood out to me. And (I liked) just everything — the coaching staff, the football team, the locker room, the weight room. ... There’s not one part I didn’t like about Tennessee.” Gibson said Tennessee coach Butch Jones, offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian and wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni all made it clear to him that he’s a high priority for the Vols. “(Jones) was just telling me how I’d fit in the offense and just telling me, ‘If you need time, just take your time. We’re not rushing you or anything like that.’ They’re just waiting on me,” Gibson said. “He told me I (could be) a key part of their offense and a key part of their ‘Dream Team.’ “Coach ‘Jake’ said I would fit in the offense great. ... They want to make me throw the ball a lot, and I can respect that, because I don’t like running the ball every down. But sometimes they’re going to need me to run the ball, which is a great idea.” Upon arriving in Knoxville on Wednesday night, Gibson discovered that his name had been painted on “The Rock” located in the middle of Tennessee’s campus. “Man, that’s crazy,” he said. “That shows that Tennessee really wants me, and they have an awesome fan base and awesome football team. They didn’t have a great season last year, but those Volunteers, they’re rowdy about their football team, and that’s the type of fan base I like — win, lose or draw, a fan base that’s going to be there.” Gibson said he said he’s planning to finish his road trip with a stop at Florida on Friday. So far, he said, his trips to LSU, Auburn, Clemson and Tennessee have “really stood out,” and he’s hoping to return to Tennessee and LSU for their upcoming spring games. “Tennessee really made a big impact,” he said. “I believe in Coach Jones’ dream, because he had the number-three recruiting class in 2014, and I believe in his vision and his dream. Tennessee didn’t win many games last year. This year, they’re making a big move now, and I can’t wait to watch them play — and other schools, as well.” While Gibson recently has gone back and forth on when he will make his college choice, he said he’s currently planning to wait several more months before deciding where he wants to play. “After my senior football season and (after) I take my five (official visits),” he said, “then I’ll make my decision.” - 247
Friday:
  • Zach Gentry: "On Friday Tennessee will welcome four-star New Mexico quarterback Zach Gentry is making his way across the country to see the Vols and Is expected to be in Knoxville from Friday evening until Monday morning. We caught up with Gentry Thursday night and he called it a 'huge' visit for himself and he will be accompanied by his father on the trip. Tennessee, Oklahoma State and Alabama are all set to receive visits as of right now with Tennessee this weekend, Oklahoma State soon and he hopes to be at Alabama's spring game on April 19." -VQ
Saturday:
  • Torrance Gibson: "Five-star quarterback Torrance Gibson just wrapped up a long Spring Break road trip. He visited several schools including Oklahoma, LSU, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida. Gibson hopes to return to LSU and Tennessee and said the Volunteers are now his leader after the trip. The Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage standout also plans to visit Ohio State this summer." - Scout

ATH Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Jauan Jennings: "Philip Shadowens, the football coach at Blackman High School in Murfreesboro, Tenn., has confirmed that Top247 athlete Jauan Jennings is scheduled to announce his college choice April 7 at approximately 10:15 a.m. EDT. Shadowens said he hasn't spoken with Jennings about his top choices over the past few days, but he believes Jennings will be deciding between Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State and Northwestern. Ohio State also still might be in the mix, but Shadowens said he's not sure whether the Buckeyes will be one of Jennings' finalists." - Callahan/ 247
  • Jauan Jennings: "Vanderbilt isn't listed among his finalists. According to his coach he's choosing between Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Northwestern and Ohio State. From what I'm told so far today is that Alabama and Mississippi State both want to take him as an athlete, not a quarterback. I believe Tennessee is in the same boat but I've also been told that there's a possibility that the Vols could take a "change of pace" quarterback in this year's class. Still waiting for answers back from those in the know at the other schools." -Woody Wommack
  • Jauan Jennings: "One last thing, as has been noted and discussed on the board Jauan Jennings has announced his final group of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Northwestern, Miss State and Ohio State and will make his decision on Monday, April 7. From talking to some people this afternoon the feeling is right now Tennessee and Auburn are sticking out. One thing to keep in mind is Jennings is likely to make a visit to Tennessee on April 5 for the Vols' practice. Still trying to figure out if he's taking a visit to Auburn between now and his decision." -Fort
Wednesday:
  • Jauan Jennings: "Yes, he's being recruited as a quarterback." -Fortenberry
  • Jauan Jennings: "Tennessee certainly isn't the only school recruiting him as a quarterback. Auburn and Mississippi State are very much in it and are recruiting him hard as a qb as well." -Fortenberry
Saturday:
  • Jauan Jennings: From Orangeblur on VQ, "Tennessee is getting an instate commitment on April 7th.....heard the Auburn visit was just because they will be in BHam on Sunday for Nike event. I talked to his coach today, Vols and its not even close"
Sunday:
  • Carl Tucker: "Carl Tucker said it's down to Tennessee and North Carolina and didn't declare a leader between the two schools. He will be back in April and will visit North Carolina again before making a decision." -Fortenberry

RB Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Taj Griffin: Edoga and Rahming have been in Griffin’s ear, he said, about going to Tennessee. “I mean, of course they are,” Griffin said, smiling. “They want me to go there with them. But just, basically, I’m going to pick wherever’s best for me at the end of the day and just go off that.” -247
Thursday:
  • Jovon RObinson: "Robinson, who is a December graduate, lists a top five, all even, of Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida State and Tennessee. Tennessee: “I haven’t done much research on Tennessee yet. They haven’t pursued my or treated me as important as much as the other schools yet. I do know Tennessee has a solid program and there is a significant role for the running backs there.” Robinson hopes to have a decision before the start of his sophomore season." - 247
Friday:
  • Rocky Reid: "Tennessee continues to recruit numerous running backs and it's looking more and more like the Vols will likely take two backs in the 2015 class. One name to watch over the next month is North Carolina running back Rocky Reid. Reid has been high on Tennessee since visiting earlier this month when the Vols offered and he's expected back in Knoxville for the Orange & White Game." -VQ
  • Damien Harris releases a top 10 in no order: Bama, UK, UT, FSU, Michigan, AU, OSU, UF, Oklahoma, USC
  • Saturday:
  • Taj Griffin: "It was great. It was a great atmosphere, everything was really nice," Griffin said of Tennessee. "They have a great staff. I like talking to coach Jones and speaking to the running backs coach. Everything went pretty well." "He's a real cool coach. Me and him have a really good relationship and he comes by the school and I speak to him a lot. So, it's a good relationship," Griffin said. "He's always trying to get me up there for a visit so I had to go up there and it was great experience." "It was really cool. Everything was really nice. Great facilities, everything was top of the line and everything was what it was hyped up to be," Griffin explained. "That was really good just so I could get a feel for how they do things out there and see if I want to get back out there for an official and I'm definitely going to take an official there so it was a big help for that." "Tennessee is definitely still in the race," Griffin said. "I'm still taking it step-by-step and I still have a lot of schools I need to visit. I'll be able to put them in places once I'm able to visit all the schools that I'm interested in." -VQ
Sunday:
  • Michael Weber: Tennessee sticks out among that quintet not only as the only non-Big Ten school, but also as one of the two spread teams in the group. “They run the ball,” Weber said regarding the Volunteers. “It is the SEC. It is a different type of football. They are in a rebuilding process. It is away from home and I believe they will give me a good opportunity and it is a good environment.” - Detroit News. Also says that he prefers a pro style rather than a spread. Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, and Wisconsin round out the top 5 with UT. Will announce at Army AA Game

WR Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Vols offer K.J. Hill
Saturday:
  • Dexter Neal: "Quick note from Atlanta... Just talked to Dexter Neal, 4-star South Carolina commitment, and he expects to be in Knoxville for the Orange and White Game." -Fortenberry
  • Dexter Neal: Mike Farrell video interview up on rivals...Neal said he's still committed to USCe but plans to take visits to USCe, Clemson, UGA, UT, Bama, Vandy and others. He said that the biggest threat to USCe is UT, he really likes the campus, dorms, depth chart, coaches, the community, fans. He said he's also excited to visit UGA again. - summarized by Ron Swanson

OLine Recruiting:
Wednesday:
  • Vols offer Kevin Feder
Thursday:
  • Chuma Edoga: “Tennessee, you know, I got a real good relationship with the coaches,” Edoga told IT. “They’re always hitting me up and we just talk back and forth.” “He’s a real good guy,” Edoga said. “He’s always fired up. That’s what I like about him. He’s high energy. Just a real good guy. I like coaches like that.” “It’s close enough where I feel like I can get back home, but it’s far enough where I can still get back home,” Edoga told IT. “I like that.” -scout
Saturday:
  • Chuma Edoga: "Quick note on Chuma Edoga. He's down to Tennessee, Stanford, USC and UGA. Taking visits to USC and Stanford next weekend and then hopes to be at Tennessee for the spring game and wants to bring his mom with him to the visit. He will make a decision on May 25." -Fortenberry
  • Marquell Harrell: "Marquel Harrell told me Tennessee is his No. 1 school right now, just over Ole Miss. He's going to make his decision in July and Tennessee has a good shot at landing him right now." -Fortenberry
Sunday:
  • Emanuel McGirt: "Emmanuel McGirt named the Vols as one of his top six schools. He hasn't visited yet but said he had heard a lot of positive things about Tennessee from other recruits that have visited and he hopes to see Tennessee soon." -Fortenberry
  • JC Shurburt says Vols lead for Austin Clark

DB Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Dechaun Holliday: “My top schools right now are UCLA, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Oregon.” -scout
  • Micah Abernathy: “He’s a great guy,” Abernathy said of Jones. “I knew him before he went to Tennessee because he coached my brother at Cincinnati. I know what type of man he is off the field, and he’s a good guy. “The fans are crazy,” Abernathy said. “They support their school. I can say that, they support their school.” “It’s a beautiful campus, everything was new and polished,” Abernathy said. “You could tell they take pride in what they have.” -scout
  • "They are still recruiting Shelley, but they like other guys on their board like Ordway, Abernathy, Slayton and others. They were recruiting Amadi, but they didn't have the full court press on him and I think that's part of the reason he committed to Ole Miss." -Fortenberry
Wednesday:
  • Derrick Baity: Baity saw Wake Forest, Clemson and Tennessee while based in North Carolina but seeing those schools for a first time wasn't the only new thing he saw. "I had never been out of Florida before and I was amazed. It was my first time seeing snow. It was a good trip," Baity said. "The Vols, because on of my teammates Ray Raulerson is there now, it was good to see him again, but coach Martinez is my favorite coach so far because he's real down to earth," Baity explained. "I like how he coaches you and he doesn't want you to fall behind. He wants to help you." "Clemson was beautiful. I liked the players most of all. When I got there they were cool to hang out with and one of their defensive backs really took me in," Baity said. "Wake Forest is really small compared to Clemson and Tennessee, especially. They were really cozy. But, the students were on spring break so I didn't get to see a lot of people." "My recruiting process has been a great one," Baity said. "Before last season started I was under the radar but then I started blooming as a player and everyone got their eyes on eye on me and now I've grown and I'm 6-2 and everyone wants a big cornerback. It's kind of crazy that no one knew me before and know they do." -VQ
  • Caleb Chalmers: chalmers says that "everybody is pretty even." he shared his thoughts on two other programs that are recruiting him hard. Tennessee: "it's a great environment. The stadium is nice. The school is nice. The coaches are real cool." clemson: "it's close to home. Great coaches. Family environment. The place is nice." chalmers plans to announce a decision sometime during his spring practice and says that there are a number of factors he's looking for in a school. "just a family environment where i can get my education too, [and the] coaches are real cool, the team is real cool, and things like that," chalmers said." -247
Friday:
  • Kameron Miles: "Look for Tennessee to be involved with numerous more junior college players like every other year and don't be surprised if the Vols key in on cornerback, defensive line and possibly offensive line once again. A name that could very well pop up on Tennessee's radar is one that Tennessee fans will be familiar with. Former Tennessee commitment Kameron Miles is leaving Texas A&M after the spring semester and is set to enroll at Butler Community College this summer. It's worth remember that current Vol Dimarya Mixon played high school ball with Miles. It's at least something worth keeping an eye on down the road." -VQ
  • Kameron Miles: "He was a qualifier out of high school so he would be able to get out of juco in December. Talking to some people close to that recruitment I think he'd be very interested in playing at Tennessee again. Remember, he was all Vol until that A&M offer. He's comfortable with Tennessee and has already visited twice. Plus, he and Mixon are close as well. I think if Tennessee went after him hard they would be in a good spot." -Fortenberry
Saturday:
  • Jordan Colbert: "Four-star safety/linebacker Jordan Colbert told me he really wants to visit Tennessee and Florida State. He's already visited Auburn, and it sounds like those three schools are sticking out to him right now." -Fortenberry
  • Jordan Colbert: "The love of Vol Nation," said Colbert on why he likes Tennessee. "I've been talking to another player here, TJ Rahming, he said he's probably going to go there. I've been talking to him and Preston Williams lately and he wants me to pull the plug." Colbert said he likes what he's hearing in his conversations with current Tennessee commitment Williams. "He said they are doing good things. They are getting new dorms, switching to Nike and some other stuff," Colbert offered. Colbert said Auburn, Clemson, Florida State and Tennessee are sticking out to him right now with Auburn at the top because he's visited there. He added we would have visited Tennessee for the Vols' spring game but his high school prom is that day so he won't be making it. -VQ
  • Cameron Ordway: “It was a pretty cool visit. I just enjoyed it — all of it,” said Ordway. “I don’t really have a top 10, but especially taking a visit, (Tennessee is) high up there. If I was to make a list, they would be in there, since I visited. “But there’s a whole lot more visits I need to take before I narrow it down.” Ordway said he also enjoyed meeting some of the Vols’ current players, including freshman wide receiver Josh Malone, and watching Tennessee’s NCAA tournament game Friday night against Michigan with players and other recruits. “It was cool,” Ordway said. “I got to hang out with (Tennessee offensive line commitment) Jack (Jones) and (Top247 defensive end) Kyle (Phillips) and pretty much spent the whole day up there. “I toured some of the facilities and just pretty much hung out with the coaches all day. (My favorite part was) probably hanging out with some of the players and some other recruits. That was my first time (meeting Malone). He was just telling me about the lifestyle of the campus and stuff, and what practice is like and stuff like that.” Ordway said he talked with Jones just before the Vols’ second-year coach traveled to Indianapolis to attend Tennessee’s NCAA tournament game. He said he also got some “one-on-one time” with Martinez that allowed him to watch film of the Vols’ current defensive backs. “(Jones) just told me to call him back again and talk to him more about the visit and how it went and stuff,” Ordway said. “I talked to Coach Martinez after film and was asking him (about) some of the coverages they run, and what does the safety do or corner do at that position?” Ordway said he’s planning to visit Ole Miss next weekend, and he “probably” will visit Ohio State and Florida State sometime after that. He said he’s “not sure yet” when he might return to Tennessee, but he plans to visit the Vols again at some point. For now, he’s taking his time with the recruiting process. “There’s not really a team that just stands out on top,” said Ordway, who also has added offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and Ohio State over the past month. “I’m not sure yet (when I will decide). I’m thinking about waiting ‘til either signing day or sometime before the season.” - 247

LB Recruiting:
Wednesday:
  • Quarte Sapp: "The 6-foot-2, 203-pound Sapp said he has “no leader right now” among the 13 schools pursuing him, but Tennessee and Florida State are “up there” in his mind. But other than them two, not really (any team is standing out) He said he intends to accompany Tennessee running back signee Treyvon Paulk, one of his Milton teammates, to the Vols’ spring game next month. Sapp said he wants to visit them again because of “just the feedback my mom gave back” after their first trip to Knoxville earlier this month. They were impressed by Tennessee for several reasons. “The facilities, of course, were really nice,” Sapp said. “I like their coaching staff, really. I like (linebackers) coach (Tommy) Thigpen a lot. He’s hilarious, and he’s a nice person and a nice linebackers coach. “I talked to (head coach) Butch (Jones) for about 45 minutes, and he was really straightforward about my mom’s questions, and she had a lot of questions. She asked tough questions, and I looked at him and he just grinned. He answered them, and he was being 100-percent honest and he just eased his way on." "“i was planning on committing on march 6, but that’s passed. That was my birthday,” he said. “i didn’t pick up the offers i wanted (before then), and i didn’t take any of the visits i had planned to. But hopefully i’ll probably plan on committing before my senior season. That’s where i’m heading to right now."-247
Thursday:
  • Tyler Cooksey: "That was pretty awesome. It was my first SEC visit and it's unreal with their facilities, the indoor and the weight room," Cooksey said. "I love going and seeing weight rooms at all the colleges and Tennessee has one of the best. They've got a pretty cool setup there. I was able to meet with the coaches and I really enjoyed meeting with them and it was a good time." "I would just say the whole vibe of the place. It is unreal what they're doing there," Cooksey said of what he liked most about his visit. "They already have a lot of great things happening there but they are really wanting to win a national championship and they have some talent there and they have a lot of talent coming in and the fan base there is unreal. It's crazy how many fans come to their games. It was an experience just going to the stadium and walking out and seeing everything." "I've changed my mind a lot about it. My number one thing is I will make a decision before my senior season," Cooksey explained. "I do not want to wait and worry about it during the season and have coaches trying to talk to me all the time when I have practice and have homework after practice. I don't want to be worrying about that. I just want to focus on winning a state championship and then going to college after that." Next up for Cooksey is likely a spring game visit in April. "The one thing I'm trying to figure out is going to a spring game right now. I may try and go to a school I don't have an offer from yet," he said. -VQ
Friday:
  • Ricky DeBerry: "Tennessee made some big impressions on the Virginia duo of Ricky DeBerry and Tim Settle after the two visited earlier this month. Several close to DeBerry believe the Vols are very good position right now for the hybrid linebacker/defensive end. As for Settle, there is some chatter about Tennessee and Clemson being a couple of teams to keep an eye on with him." -VQ
Saturday:
  • Darrin Kirkland Jr.: Ranked by the 247Sports Composite Ratings as the nation's No. 6 inside linebacker, this trip was about seeing how he fits in with the Vols program. "Everything went great down at Tennessee," Kirkland said. "Spent a lot of great time with their early enrollees and their outside linebacker signee Dillon Bates." Kirkland liked the feel of everything and plans to return soon. "Just a really good look at what their college life is like, from there practice to there dorm life," he said. "I really like it all around!" Kirkland heads to Ole Miss for an overnight visit on Monday. He will also check out Kentucky sometime next." -GoVols247
Sunday:
  • Jahvoni Simmons: In terms of schools that "stand out," Simmons mentioned UT, UVA, Bama, & Ohio St

DLine Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • D'Andre Walker: Ron Swanson summarizes video: He says UGA, UT and Auburn are his top 3. Wants to play DE, prefers to rush the passer instead of dropping into coverage. Said he really likes that UT is going to Nike and the coaches are telling him we're going to be like Oregon with our uniforms
  • Terry Beckner Jr: At 6-foot-4 and 270-pounds, Beckner may be a familiar name to analysts and college coaches, but the recruiting process is still new to him. He lists offers from Florida, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Tennessee, USC and many others, but he doesn't even seem to be paying that any mind. "I really haven't even been talking to any schools yet," Beckner told TigerBait.com. "They haven't really been coming at me like that yet. I'm sure I'm going to be talking to some but I haven't really been doing that so far." "I want to play in the SEC," Beckner said. "That's where the best competition is at so that's where I'd want to play." Beckner said he does not have any visit plans set but he would like to visit some schools for spring practices or spring games. If he doesn't do that he will start making the rounds over the summer, and he said LSU is a trip he would strongly consider making. -LSU Rivals
Wednesday:
  • Tyrell Jacobs: "Tennessee started to come in after I went to Mississippi State's junior day and they said they wanted to offer but they wanted me to come to camp. Then, Tennessee jumped in the boat," Jacobs explained. "They hit me up on twitter and they said that they like that I'm explosive and they think I can help lead them to an SEC Championship. They offered me first," Jacobs said of Tennessee. "Then Mississippi State offered, the Louisiana Lafayette offered, then Louisiana Tech jumped in the picture." "It feels good and makes you feel appreciated because at first you're stressed out that you're not getting any love and you know you're better than the people that are getting the offers," Jacobs said. The Vols see Jacobs as a versatile defender on the defensive line, he said. "They said I could play defensive end or defensive tackle. On the inside, they like that I'm physical and can play in trenches and then on the outside they like my quickness so I can play outside, too," Jacobs said. Jacobs said he plans to visit Tennessee next fall for an official visit as he doesn't believe he will visit many schools this spring or summer. -VQ
Friday:
  • Tim Settle: "Tennessee made some big impressions on the Virginia duo of Ricky DeBerry and Tim Settle after the two visited earlier this month. Several close to DeBerry believe the Vols are very good position right now for the hybrid linebacker/defensive end." -VQ
Sunday:
  • Darian Roseboro: "Darian Roseboro said he is hoping to make the spring game in a couple of weeks. He also said he knows that Auburn and Tennessee will be on his final list of 8 schools." -Fortenberry
  • Emmanuel Olenga: "Emmanuel Olenga has Tennessee as his leader right now. That one may just be a matter of time before he does something. He looks great and we will see him in one-on-ones." -Fortenberry
  • Sterling Johnson: "Defensive tackle Sterling Johnson said he's high on Tennessee and really likes the Vols right now. He said he will make his decision at his Under Armour jersey presentation in the fall and will definitely be back for another visit before then." -Fortenberry
  • Kyle Phillips: The Top247 junior defensive end from Hillsboro High School in Nashville, Tenn., said Tennessee is one of a few teams he likes “a lot,” and his laid-back visit with the Vols on Friday while he was in Knoxville for a 7-on-7 tournament Saturday did nothing to change that. “It was nice. We went over there, and I watched a little film with the D-line, and then we watched the (basketball) game (with the team), pretty much,” Phillips said, referring to the Vols’ NCAA tournament game Friday night against Michigan. “I like (Tennessee) a lot. It’s them and a few other schools I like a lot. I’m going to try to get down to ‘Bama again, Ole Miss, Florida State — I haven’t been down there yet. There’s multiple schools I want to visit or go back to.” “It was me, (Tennessee commitment) Jack Jones and (four-star cornerback) Cameron Ordway. We talked to him for, I don’t know, 15 or 20 minutes, maybe. We were just talking about how they need me, really.” Phillips said he also got a chance to watch film with defensive line coach Steve Stripling and the Vols’ defensive linemen, and he stayed on campus overnight with Jack Jones, Tennessee linebacker signee Dillon Bates and Top247 linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. of Indianapolis. “The way they work in the film room, it’s just so much better (than high school), really — just film in college. It’s way different,” Phillips said. “I got to learn a little of, I guess, what they do on the D-line — kind of, like, the techniques and stuff they use." Phillips, who also visited Vanderbilt on Thursday, said he “probably” will return to Tennessee by this summer. “I just like the atmosphere of everybody (there),” Phillips said. “That’s probably the thing I like most about them. It’s like a big family, I guess.” Phillips admitted the Vols are one of three teams that have been talking with him most frequently, along with Ole Miss and Alabama. But he’s still taking his time with the recruiting process, and he said he doesn’t plan to decide on a college until “hopefully this fall sometime.” “I think, hopefully, by midsummer I’ll have a top five,” he said. “I think I have a top 10 now, kind of in my head. The schools that are on that top-10 list, I’m probably going to (visit). I’m not going to go visit anywhere that I know I’m not going to go. “I’m just going to try to go to that top 10 and try to get a better feel for those schools.” - GoVols247

2016 Recruiting:
Sunday:
  • JC Shurburt sayd Vols lead for QB Austin Kendall
  • Vols offer FL DE Janarius Robinson
  • NC QB Austin Kendall: "I have been up there maybe five times. I love it," Kendall said. "The coaching staff is great. I love the facilities and the school as well. I'm looking forward to getting back up there and establishing relationships with the coaches." Kendall was in Knoxville March 1st for junior day and may return to see the Vols before spring practice is over. As his recruitment continues to take off, Kendall is not in any hurry but does have a plan for handling the process. "It's kind of easy to manage right now because coaches can't call me," Kendall said. "I have to call them. So it's pretty easy to manage it all right now. "I think I'm probably going to cut it to five at the end my junior season heading into the summer before my senior year." -VQ

2017 Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Vols offer GA ATH DeAngelo Gibbs (nephew of Dale Carter)
Saturday:
  • DeAngelo Gibbs: "Actually, my uncle, Dale Carter, went there. I've been going to Tennessee ever since I was young, just going up there with him. I love the experience every single time that I've been," Gibbs said. That's why when the Vols talked to him and offered at the halftime of the Lady Vols' game last weekend it was a pretty big deal to Gibbs. "They told me call at halftime of the game because they weren't going to busy watching the game. I talked to coach Jones," Gibbs explained. "It was exciting because I was thinking I was going to talk to an assistant coach or a (defensive backs) coach and I got a chance to talk to the head coach and it's really exciting. It lets me know that they really care for me and really want me." Gibbs said he grew up going to Tennessee games and said there's a different feeling from other schools when he's in Knoxville. "Tennessee, you can say it's different than any other school, it truly is. I actually like it because I have family that went there and every single time I go there it's something new," Gibbs said. -VQ

Reactions: 19 people
Weekly Recruiting Update History:

Reactions: 7 people
stwrt.gif

Reactions: 5 people
If it weren't for you POA, all I would've learned this week is...well, nothing football related.

Thanks, as always.

Great read as always.

Said he really likes that UT is going to Nike and the coaches are telling him we're going to be like Oregon with our uniforms

Well, I hope that just means they will have a few different uniform styles and not that they will be wearing bright, neon glow colors.

This is the "one" post that I look for every week. This saves so much time and it's a blessing to not be exposed to some of the BS in some of the posts on here.

"Hendrix may have to take summer classes."...That's the first I've read of any possible grade concerns with him. He's still a qualifier right?

VN Store

Back