4_1239648.jpg

Inside Linebacker
Fairburn, GA (Langston Hughes)
Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 205
CLASS OF 2015

Montavious Atkinson

Montavious Atkinson - Yahoo! Sports

Montavious Atkinson - Hudl

Visiting UT this weekend for Junior Day.

Reactions: 2 people
Auburn commitment Montavious Atkinson was on campus again for the second time in less than a week. He maintains he is committed to the Tigers, but obviously that recruitment is far from over and needs to be watched.

-Austin Price

Reactions: 3 people
While he remains committed to Auburn, he said he “most definitely” will attend one of Tennessee’s home games this season, and there’s “a good possibility” that the Vols will get an official visit from him later this year.

Atkinson —*a teammate of Top247 defensive end*D’Andre Walker, who’s also being recruited by Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn — said he’s still visiting other teams because “I just want to make sure I make the right decision for me.” He said he’s interested in Tennessee for a few reasons.

“I like, first off, their fans. Plus, I like the way the coaches bring us together and the way they help their players out with anything they need —*and Coach Butch’s attitude to win,” Atkinson said, referring to Vols coach*Butch Jones.

“(Tennessee linebackers coach*Tommy Thigpen) was just saying he knows that they’re turning linebackers out of Georgia, and I would be one of them. They said I’ve got a great chance (to play). If I come in, get stronger, get faster and get bigger, I’ll have a great chance of playing early.”

Atkinson, who’s being recruited to play the Star position in Auburn’s defense, said his opportunity to play linebacker for the Vols is appealing.

“That’s one of the big things that’s really making them stand out, because I want to play linebacker before anything,” he said. “I would prefer to be a linebacker first, but I wouldn’t mind playing Star. But I would prefer to be a linebacker first, before anything.”

He said he’s also still interested in Georgia.

“It’s a pretty good school,” Atkinson said. “One thing (I like) is that’s my home (state). That’s where I grew up.”

Atkinson currently doesn’t have any additional visits scheduled for this summer, but he said he’s “going to visit Auburn soon.” And he said his mind is set on the Tigers for now.

“I liked Auburn as I was growing up, and I was waiting on that offer, so I just really liked them and that’s where I wanted to be,” he said. “I guess that’s just where I want to be, and I like the coaches. And the fans are outstanding.
I didn't know he's visited us the last 2 weekends.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee is certainly making a move there. He's been on campus at least four times, maybe five, in the last four months or so.

He will definitely be one to watch as things unfold.

-Fortenberry

Two weeks ago, he told me war eagle when I asked him about things and indicated he was solid to Auburn. This week when I spoke to him he didn't want to do any interviews. I'm not sure if that was for any reason other than he was busy, but he didn't want to talk for sure.

Hubbs

Don't know much about this kid, but it sure sounds like we are making him rethink his commitment .

This could be good. We need two more REAL LBs, not guys who could switch to DL or S.
I'm hoping we will have some guys who will give us a look. We really need depth, I wouldn't be mad on taking 3 more.

LOLOL yet another kid with zero interest in playing Johnson's goofy Star position. You'd think he'd learn by now after they lost that 5-star out of Auburn High to Alabama for the same reason.

LOLOL yet another kid with zero interest in playing Johnson's goofy Star position. You'd think he'd learn by now after they lost that 5-star out of Auburn High to Alabama for the same reason.

Foster flipped because of a racial altercation with Reece Dismukes while on a visit. He immediately left Auburn, went to Tuscaloosa and flipped.

I'm no expert but it's a bit of a reach calling it goofy considering that defense was a drive away from winning an NC last year. I'm not a Tiger fan, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Foster flipped because of a racial altercation with Reece Dismukes while on a visit. He immediately left Auburn, went to Tuscaloosa and flipped.

I'm no expert but it's a bit of a reach calling it goofy considering that defense was a drive away from winning an NC last year. I'm not a Tiger fan, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Don't know much about the incident with Dismukes, and I'm on my phone so it would take me forever to find it, but in one of the NSD coverage articles Foster mentioned that he liked Johnson but wanted to play LB and wasn't big on the idea of being a full time NB at the Star.

That Auburn defense was the one that gave up the game winning touchdown, so pardon me for being a little skeptical. The secondary is not their strength. And 5-star types like Foster that are gonna be gone in the draft as soon as they can want to play in standard defenses that will get them ready for the league.

Don't know much about the incident with Dismukes, and I'm on my phone so it would take me forever to find it, but in one of the NSD coverage articles Foster mentioned that he liked Johnson but wanted to play LB and wasn't big on the idea of being a full time NB at the Star.

That Auburn defense was the one that gave up the game winning touchdown, so pardon me for being a little skeptical. The secondary is not their strength. And 5-star types like Foster that are gonna be gone in the draft as soon as they can want to play in standard defenses that will get them ready for the league.
The defense wasn't elite, but Johnson ran it well enough to give them a great shot to win an NC. I think that deserves some credit.

As far as the scheme being detrimental to LB recruiting, they did land 5* Tre Williams last year. To me, that's kinda like saying you can't sign Elite WR's with a dual threat QB, while Texas A&M is signing multiple elite WR's to come play with Kyler Murray. Auburn also signed Duke Williams at WR.

Keep in mind that I'm not flaming you, just trying to remain objective.

Last edited:

The altercation was because Foster was recruiting for Alabubba while on his Auburn visit.

Wrong guy. Foster was a few years back. He's referring to Rashaan Evans.

VN Store

Back