So what does an "offer" mean if it's not committable?

TechnoVol

I hear offers referred to as being "committable". What's the point in making a non-committable offer? What makes the offer committable?

Just seems like schools throw out offers but tell the kids you have to wait to hear from us before it's committable. I guess an offer means they're really interested but just not ready to take an official commitment that counts toward the 85 scholarships.

Just looking to be educated on this nuance of the recruiting game. Thanks

Yes I agree... :good!:

With CBJ and his recruiting mastery I'd like to know more about this part of the process.

Like I said, just want to learn more about this scenario and would guess others would to.

Some offers count, some don't. IMO all an early offer means is "we are recruiting you". Now a days just talking to a kid is not enough. If the offer is not extended, your playing catch up recruiting wise. Coaches just have to be very clear if/when they would actually take the kids commitment. Recruits can usually tell if the offer is legit and committable or just window dressing and more less a slow play tactic.

It is an "offer". But offer to do what?

I understand schools getting offers out there early because they can snag a few prospects that way. But are they really "committable"? I guess not all are.

We may be in a position to haul a large group of elite recruits in 2015 and have only 20 to 24 spots. It does make me nervous that some of these kids who are not the best of the best commit this early and not leave room for the elites. I suppose that staff knows how to manage this, but me not knowing how makes me wonder.

Commitable offer - A prospect is high enough of a need, and is high enough on the evaluation board to be able to take a spot in the class.

Non-committable offer - A prospect is offered a scholarship, but it not high enough on the eval board to take right away, especially if the one's higher up have not yet committed to a different school.

This whole situation is one that social media and the internet creates. The kid didn't even call our coaches to tell them first, and then proceeded to plaster it all over the web. The kid looks like a decent prospect, but is going to have to wait until after summer to see where the higher regarded prospects on our board shake out, before he can commit to us publicly. We are probably only taking 2 CBs this year anyway, due to not being able to take over 22-24 prospects.

In the words of the Kansas Wesleyan head coach, said to Mike Winchell "We're interested. And right now that's all we are. Interested."

Official offers can only be given to prospects at the beginning of their Senior year (Aug or Sept 1st, I believe). These are written offers, whereas the earlier "offers" are simply a statement made by a coach. For example, a coach says to a Soph or Jr. recruit "We'd love to offer you a scholarship to the University of ______" There is actually ZERO weight behind that statement. Now if the coach is pressing that recruit to go ahead and commit as soon as possible, that is a different story. Coaches now are "offering" a ton of kids just not to fall behind the curve. How many of these kids are getting pressed to commit is what you will never hear. Even if the athlete commits during his Jr year or earlier, he still has to get the "official" offer on paper.

It means Butch beat Saban for a commit, and bammers show up in droves to save face and say the offer wasn't "committable".

Reactions: 2 people
An "offer"

air-quotes.gif

Reactions: 8 people
just like any other business, offers are extended. exactly what they mean depends on who extended it and why.:unsure:

Last edited:
Honey, I think I want to marry you unless someone with a better body, more money and less drama comes along within the next few months. Kinda like that.

Reactions: 5 people
This situation kinda makes me wonder if that made Duke Shelley want to look somewhere else now. Seeing how he's probably not considered a high priority to this staff. This reminds me of of the situation last yr when that DE from Oregon was ready to commit and the Butch and the staff to him to hold off right now.

Last edited:
If a school offers a scholarship, that should mean that if it's accepted then the school is obligated to keep their word. If a player commits, they too should be obligated to keep their word. If that's not the case they need to find a different term for the word "offer" & the word "commit"

Reactions: 1 person
Noncommittal means intentionally not a real offer. Real Offers also may mean nothing without acceptance and consideration ($$$, scholarship).

Think of an offer from a school like an offer from a potential buyer of a home in the real estate world. It shows serious interest, however, certain terms still have to be met before both parties come to an agreement and close.

If it is not commitable then it is not really an offer

Well, according to Webster's, an offer is an act, product or service that has been presented by one party for acceptance by another party. Therefore if something isn't available to be accepted then by definition it hasn't been offered....but in the world of college recruiting where words are conveniently bastardized to fit the agenda of Alabama football, an "uncommitable offer" means that an expression of interest has been made and Alabama wants other interested parties to beware because the almighty Saban is marking his territory like a dog hiking his leg on a bush,

IMO best thing a kid could do when the offer comes in is just straight up ask, "Would you take my commitment today coach"? If the answer is no, it's not an offer with much of anything at that point.

If a school offers a scholarship, that should mean that if it's accepted then the school is obligated to keep their word. If a player commits, they too should be obligated to keep their word. If that's not the case they need to find a different term for the word "offer" & the word "commit"

OR you could learn what they mean in this context. No matter how silly or counter-intuitive it is they're not going to change the entire vocabulary of the recruiting world just because it's inconsistent with what things might mean in a different context.

People have been complaining about the terminology for years. It's not going away so we have to just accept it.

VN Store

Back