'16 TN OL Bryce Mathews (Ole Miss commit)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
4_949763.jpg

Offensive tackle
Brentwood, Tennessee
Brentwood Academy
View Map
Ht:6'6"
Wt:260 lbs
Class:2016 (High School)

Bryce Mathews - Yahoo! Sports

Bryce Mathews

Bryce Mathews - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Reactions: 2 people
Not only did Tennessee offer Ryan Johnson, the 2016 right tackle from Brentwood tonight, they offered Bryce Mathews, the left tackle at Brentwood.

Bryce was on campus this weekend as well and also received offers from Tennessee and Ole Miss tonight. We will have a full story on both of those guys tomorrow afternoon. He is the son of former Colts and Titans offensive lineman Jason Mathews.

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 3 people
From FranklinVol on VQ...

A little background on those guys. First of all, I'm thrilled that two more BA players have UT offers especially this early. I can tell you that Bryce is former Titans OL Jason (not Bruce) Matthews' son. Jason is also a coach at BA and a great guy! Ryan's dad, Tyke, owns a construction company in Brentwood and is originally from Chattanooga. I think he played college ball at Austin Peay. He coached my son in 6th grade and also a great guy. I know the Johnsons love the Vols! Jason Matthews played for AM. I haven't spoken to him personally since last weekend but I was told by someone that has that he was blown away by what he saw in Knoxville last weekend. Anyway, thought you might enjoy a little background on the two.

Reactions: 6 people
All this up&coming talent in Tennessee is exciting! We are catching up with the rest of the south!

"It was kind of crazy," Mathews explained. "I was in a movie with my dad and the Tennessee coach called my coach and then my coach called me and my dad trying to get us to answer the phone. We finally got out of the movie and we called them back. I wasn't expecting that."

"I went last year on the first day of spring practice and I got to see the facilities they were almost finished with and now seeing it with all the banners an graphics were really nice," Mathews explained. "I really liked the indoor facility they had and it's right next to the weight room and I like that. Then, they have the nutrition bar and that's pretty cool to have what you need right there to refuel on."

Both said they hope to visit Ole Miss at some point and schools like Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Miami, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and more are in the picture as well.

Both said they are planning on participating in the Rivals Camp Series this spring.

-VQ

I wouldn't go that far but it is improving

Getting close though, we have just about as many in the top 250 and 300 as bamer and some other states that produce quite a bit. We will never produce as many as Georgia and Florida of course.

Excluding Texas, I'd say...

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Virginia
4. Louisiana
4a. North Carolina
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Missouri (if you include E. St. Louis, IL)
9. Mississippi
10. South Carolina

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Virginia
4. Louisiana
4a. North Carolina
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
9. Mississippi
10. South Carolina

That is a good list. Tennessee has clearly improved and moved on up the list in recent years.

North Carolina and Louisiana are the two most underrated states in the entire country in terms of producing talent IMO. Those states are absolutely loaded with elite players and great depth yet tend to get overlooked because of their neighbors.

Reactions: 1 person
That is a good list. Tennessee has clearly improved and moved on up the list in recent years.

North Carolina and Louisiana are the two most underrated states in the entire country in terms of producing talent IMO. Those states are absolutely loaded with elite players and great depth yet tend to get overlooked because of their neighbors.

Louisiana is overlooked a lot because LSU gets nearly everyone they want from there, and a lot of Louisiana's best players have trouble qualifying.

North Carolina, on the other hand, scatters their seed all over as the instate schools aren't elite programs. Tennessee use to own NC in the 80's & 90's. We need to again.

Louisiana is overlooked a lot because LSU gets nearly everyone they want from there, and a lot of Louisiana's best players have trouble qualifying.

North Carolina, on the other hand, scatters their seed all over as the instate schools aren't elite programs. Tennessee use to own NC in the 80's & 90's. We need to again.

Agreed. NC is critical for Tennessee. They have a huge advantage with their proximity to NC, VA and GA, all states loaded with talent that traditionally have sent many of their elite players out of state.

Agreed. NC is critical for Tennessee. They have a huge advantage with their proximity to NC, VA and GA, all states loaded with talent that traditionally have sent many of their elite players out of state.

Spot on. It wouldn't bother me at all if we recruited those states (and Tennessee obviously) exclusively. I have no doubt we could field an SEC championship-calibre team just cherry-picking those four states for talent assuming you could land 75%+ of your Tennessee targets, and 50%+ of your out of state targets in NC, VA, and GA.

Georgia can't sign them all, and despite success, struggles to sign A LOT of their upper-echelon homegrown talent. UNC, NCSU, UVA, & VA Tech are all middling programs in their own states.

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Virginia
4. Louisiana
4a. North Carolina
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
9. Mississippi
10. South Carolina

Illinois should get the credit for East St. Louis. We have to own them for their crime, so we should get the credit for their basketball and football players.

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Virginia
4. Louisiana
4a. North Carolina
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
9. Mississippi
10. South Carolina

Have to put Missouri at the very bottom. Mississippi and South Carolina produce way more. They usually only produce a few SEC caliber players in a good year. I think Kentucky even produces more. This year is a little abnormal in that Missouri has 3 rivals 250 recruits. Usually they have like one. Even in our worst years we had more in state than that.

Have to put Missouri at the very bottom. Mississippi and South Carolina produce way more. They usually only produce a few SEC caliber players in a good year. I think Kentucky even produces more. This year is a little abnormal in that Missouri has 3 rivals 250 recruits. Usually they have like one. Even in our worst years we had more in state than that.

Like I said, if you include E. St. Louis, it ups their numbers. Otherwise I'd agree, historically speaking.

VN Store

Back