Weekly Recruiting Update 2/10 - 2/16

PassedOutAwake

R.I.P RichRollin
Current Commit News:
Tuesday:
  • Andrew Butcher: "2015 tennessee commit de andrew butcher (@butcherandrew1) ran a 5.01 40-yard dash at the us army national combine." -247
Wednesday:
  • Dylan Jackson: "Jackson committed to the Vols on Jan. 16 after getting his second scholarship offer from Tennessee almost six months earlier. He also claims early offers from Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern. While Jackson primarily plays defensive end at Knoxville-area powerhouse Maryville, some believe he might have more upside as an offensive tackle." -247
Saturday:
  • 2016 DE/TE Emmitt Gooden commits to the Vols
  • Emmitt Gooden: "The 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive lineman knew coming into the visit he was likely to commit and told Volquest.com earlier in the week why the Vols would be the choice this weekend. "I like that it's far off and not too close to home," Gooden said. "Its fans are wild and I like the big stadium and there's nothing better than playing in your home state and I want to play in my home state." Gooden, who also recently picked up a Penn State offer, said he has also grown close quickly with defensive line coach Steve Stripling as well as Tennessee defensive coordinator John Jancek and said he likes the idea of playing under the veteran coaches. My relationship with them has played a great role," Gooden said. "They not only tell me the good things I do but they also tell me things I need to work on. I like a coach who is up front and tells me more than just they like me and all that, they tell me what I need to work on, basically." -VQ
  • Emmitt Gooden: “Yeah, they were real happy,” Gooden said. “Coach Jancek went to tell Coach Butch, and then he went to go to talk to Coach Strip. “Coach Butch was very happy. He was enthusiastic. He told me, ‘Welcome to the family,’ and that there was more to come.” “Coming to Tennessee today, just as soon as I walked into the building I felt welcomed,” Gooden said. “That was basically touching.” “They were telling me everything, like what techniques I wanted to work on and all that stuff,” he said. “When it’s a player or an ex-player who played the position I’m playing, and they’re telling me what I need to work on, it was just great.” “We’re Tennessee boys,” said Gooden, who’s a safe bet to be one of the state’s top 2016 prospects. “This is the place to be. This is a dream.” “I’m not sure,” he said. “I’m not (planning anything) as of now. I just know I’m committed to Tennessee, and I want to be a Vol. I’m just ready to hit the weight room harder and take some of the techniques I’ve learned from Coach Strip today watching videos and using it in my game and just dominating.” - 247
  • Cecil Cherry tweets that he is trying to EE
Sunday:
  • Jack Jones tweets that he is trying to EE
  • Andrew Butcher: "it’s just nice to get back up here and continue building relationships with teammates and coaches again,” butcher said. “it’s just an amazing place. I’m fully comfortable. I’m fully committed to tennessee.” that’s not to suggest butcher isn’t impressed when coaches like alabama’s nick saban call him. He said they’re just not going to change his mind. “it’s been really nice,” butcher said. “it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And i hope to be beating them a couple of years from now.” -247
  • Preston Williams wins the WR MVP of the Adidas Showcase

ATH Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Vincent Perry: "It was really crazy. It came really fast. It all came this past month," Perry said. "Coach Meyer from Ohio State checked on me, coach Thigpen did as well, Virginia, Purdue, they all came by." "I hope to see Purdue, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Ohio State and Tennessee," Perry said of schools he hopes to visit this spring. Pery admits he doesn't know much about the Vols early on, he likes what he's heard from Thigpen. "I don't know much about Tennessee's program. When I talked to coach Thigpen he seemed like a pretty cool guy," Perry added. Perry, also a standout on the diamond, said he wants to play both baseball and football at the next level. -VQ
  • Vols offer Lamar Jackson
  • Jaason Lewis after UCLA visit: “We sat down and talked for about 30 minutes,” he said. “We just talked about the program and how I could contribute. He told me he sees me as a running back and someone that can catch the ball out of the backfield. And we also talked about his past history with players, how he coaches, the NFL and life after football. We really just talked about everything. He’s a really good coach and I liked talking to him.” “It did a lot for UCLA,” he said. “It put them higher on my board. It’s dead even right now between UCLA and Tennessee. Tennessee has been high on my list and I like a lot of things about them. And Florida is right behind them.” “The deciding factors are going to be playing time, the school’s need for my position and the coaches,” Lewis said -scout
  • Jaason Lewis: "I was a really good visit," said the 6-foot-2, 233-pound Lewis. "I saw a lot of positive things. I really liked the academic facilities. I talked to the coaching staff about a lot of different things." "The coaches and I talked about everything," he said. "It was good that I could talk with all of the coaches. "The campus was just right," Lewis said. "Everything was right there and it will help me with school so that's great. I have one family member out on the west coast." "I'll be deciding between UCLA, Florida and Tennessee," he said. "It all comes down where I feel comfortable at and which school meets my standards. "I want to stick with my commitment," Lewis said. "The only reason it would change is because of a coaching change or something like that." Lewis does not have any plans to take another visit right now. -Rivals
Tuesday:
  • Jaason Lewis commits to UCLA
  • Jaason Lewis: "I liked Tennessee but they had too many guys at my position," Lewis said. "I know I'll have to fight for my spot but I don't want to go in somewhere where they already have their foundation set. UCLA still needs guys to come in and they are one piece away from a national championship." -Rivals
Thursday:
  • UT offers Chandler Cox
Friday:
  • Carl Tucker: "Another prospect to possibly keep an eye on is North Carolina athlete Carl Tucker from the 2015 class. Tennessee has a firm lead for Tucker and he's visited several times and he's talked about making a decision soon. While we have nothing from Tucker to indicate an impending commitment, it's at least something to keep in mind going into Saturday." -VQ
  • Carl Tucker: "I think Tennessee likes him best on the defensive side of the ball, either at safety or linebacker. I've heard he's ready up to about 205-210 so I think that's probably where he ends up." - Fortenberry
  • UT offers Ryan Newsome
Saturday:
  • Carl Tucker: "Carl Tucker Jr said Tennessee continues to lead. He weighed in at 225 pounds and will probably play linebacker. He really likes Tennessee right now. UNC Chapel Hill is up there right now, too." -Hubbs
  • Carl Tucker: "Tucker said Tennessee and North Carolina remain at the top of his list, but he made it clear that the Vols have the edge right now. He's not planning to make a decision until sometime around this summer, but he said he definitely will visit Tennessee again. He also went to a couple of UT's home games last season, and he said he has a great relationship with the Vols' coaches and can tell they really want him. He said he weighed in today at 225 pounds, so his future is almost definitely going to be at linebacker." - 247
  • CJ Sanders: "Sanders was back at UT today for the first time since its home game against Georgia, and he said the Vols once again made a good impression on him. He said Stanford and Tennessee are two of the teams standing out to him among the seven schools currently pursuing him, but he said several others have started to show interest in him, so it's still pretty early in the process for him." - 247
  • Carl Tucker: "I got to see more than usual. I had only seen a little bit of the facility before the games but I got to see in depth and what they do. I got to see the film room and the video room and everything," Tucker said. "I got to actually put a jersey and a helmet on and that was pretty cool. It was just more in depth." "Compared to all of the other facilities I've seen it's so much better and so much nicer. They have some things that some colleges don't and it's some things that I wouldn't think a college needs and they have," Tucker said. "They have every little, small thing which is cool." They are definitely up there. I have UNC and Tennessee are the top two, but Tennessee is definitely up there right now. They are the one right now," Tucker said. "The coaches (make Tennessee stick out). I feel like I can develop a huge relationship with the coaches here and they are just easy to get along with, they're cool guys and they are easy to get along with and I just feel like that. I can't wait to get back in the spring and see how they coach and stuff." -VQ
Sunday:
  • CJ Sanders: "It was good. I got to see the academic side and we got to go to Neyland. It was a fun experience and I got to play cornhole with the coaches and things like that. We lost, but it was a fun experience," Sanders said. "Academics are very important to me and they showed how the academics are rising more and more every year and that side of it really impressed me as well," Sanders explained. Sanders spent time with Tennessee receivers coach Zach Azzanni on Saturday and he felt like the two were able to begin a relationship. "He's awesome. We were able to bond more by playing cornhole and I think doing things like that help build a relationship and that's what it's going to come down to," Sanders explained. "It was pretty cool," Sanders said of his Stanford visit. "I got to stay in the dorms and it was a pretty big unofficial visit. I think I'll do that here at UT and get closer to the players and stay in the dorm. Stanford was a good experience and I got to see them play against Notre Dame so it was a good experience." -VQ
  • Carl Tucker: wU-Tang Vol summarizes scout article. If we want him, he is ours. He is very open to playing LB. He said he feels much more wanted at UT when compared to UNC. His mom is in the education field and she loved Tennessee's educational programs. He really enjoyed the facilities, and thinks they are among the best he's ever seen. His parents love UT.

QB Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Zach Gentry: "I've been in a lot more contact with Northwestern before the offer happened," Gentry said. "I hadn't really talked to TCU a whole lot before they offered, so I'm still in a gray area with those guys until I figured things out. I'm still getting to know the coaches at both of those programs, really." The next step will be unofficial visits, but those aren't being thrown together quickly either. Gentry is moving through the process at his own pace. This is his choice to make, and he intends to do it on his own timetable. "We haven't thought much about visits yet," he said. "I'm still trying to talk to my dad about that stuff and figure it out." Gentry holds offers from Tennessee, San Diego State, Louisville, New Mexico, New Mexico State and Oklahoma State in addition to his recent invites from TCU and Northwestern. He names no favorites in the process at this juncture. -Rivals
Tuesday:
  • Ryan Agnew: "Agnew took over the starting job for the Dragons last year and led Southlake Carroll to a 12-2 record, completing 236-of-316 passes for 3,148 yards, 31 touchdowns against only 7 interceptions. Agnew added a team-leading 1,252 yards and 20 touchdowns on 175 carries while earning district MVP honors. The impressive statistics have put Agnew on several college recruiting radars, with Houston, Clemson, Texas Tech and Northwestern showing the most interest. Texas is another school that has been in touch, and Agnew is planning to attend the Longhorns' first junior day on February 22. As he begins to dive into the recruiting process, Agnew said distance will not play a huge factor in his decision. Both his parents attended Tennessee, which makes the Volunteers an obvious program to watch, but Agnew says he has no leaders. "Everything is pretty even. The main thing , I want to find a good academic school on top of football," Agnew said. - Texas Rivals
  • Nick Tiano: tiano doesn’t have a specific timeline on his decision but he wants to commit before the season starts. For the time being, he’s keeping his fingers crossed that miami isn’t his only offer much longer. “i think a lot of schools are close, coach coley said i’ll end up with fifteen offers before spring practice starts,” tiano said. “things could start happening really fast and i’m looking forward to it. I’ll be at west virginia’s junior day on february 22nd and i’ll also go over to tennessee very soon. If anybody’s interested in me, i’m happy to visit.” tiano wasn’t sure of his junior stats but he estimated around 1800 total yards and 15 touchdowns. His size is obvious, but that’s not all he is. “i’m labeled as a pocket passer, which is accurate because i’m a big guy with a strong arm, but people don’t realize how athletic i am,” tiano said. “i’m at a 4.8 40, which isn’t blazing fast, but i can still run in certain situations. I can be effective as a big body in short yardage or down around the goal line.” -247
Saturday:
  • Vols offer Deondre Francois

RB Recruiting:
Sunday:
  • UT offers Dexter Williams

WR Recruiting:
Wednesday:
  • Vols offer John Burt
Saturday:
  • Jayson Stanley: "Stanley, meanwhile, has yet to receive an offer from UT but already had visited the Vols before today, and he said they again made a good impression on him. He said Tennessee's coaches seemed to be very interested in him, and he's optimistic that the Vols might offer soon. He also went to a junior day at Alabama last weekend, and he said both schools were really impressive, but he made it clear he's high on Tennessee." - 247
Sunday:
  • TJ Rahming: "Tennessee is showing the most love and it means a lot to my family that they were the first to offer." "First I want to get over to Tennessee again and spend time there and get to know the coaches more and visit the campus," Rhaming said. -scout

OL Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Matthew Burrell: "Burrell says that leaving the state for college isn't he will definitely do and that playing for Virginia Tech or Virginia is very much a possibility. With that being said, Burrell has visits planned instate and out of state. "I'm trying to get down to Tennessee this weekend," he said. "Then I'm going to visit Virginia then Maryland. I talked to George Campbell the other day and he wants me to visit Florida State with him and Chuma Edoga. Burrell thinks UCLA or USC might be his next offer." -Rivals
Tuesday:
  • Tyree St. Louis: "Tennessee was a big favorite the last few months and he was supposed to visit Tennessee for a junior day. He now has offers from Florida and Miami and his stock will continue to rise. He's been to Tennessee before and he likes the Vols, but certainly it will be tough to get him out of the state as his stock continues to climb." -Fortenberry
  • Chuma Edoga: “Right now Tennessee is at the top, with USC and Georgia a close second,” Edoga said. “Everyone else is fighting in the next group.” - 247
Thursday:
  • UT offers Christian Pellage
Friday:
  • Austin Clark: "Virginia offensive lineman Austin Clark will make the familiar trek down I-81 as he heads to Tennessee's junior day. Clark was originally planning to go to Penn State's junior day but will instead head to Knoxville this weekend." -VQ
Saturday:
  • Jack Shutack: In a recent interview with Scout he said "A Tennessee Offer would be a dream come true". He has not yet visited Tennessee but plans to in March for a Junior Day. In his free time he has watched Videos on Tennessee's Traditions and History. He also stated that "Tennessee seems like place to be." - Summarized by Railroad Vol
  • Marquel Harrell: "Harrell, a teammate of Tennessee signees Evan Berry and Elliott Berry, said he landed an offer from the Vols on signing day before getting offers from Florida and Mississippi State on Tuesday and Alabama on Wednesday. “It was exciting seeing that my hard work is paying off. It’s a relief,” said Burrell. Tennessee, they offered me the night of signing day. I talked to Mississippi State (on Tuesday) morning. I called them. And I talked to Florida, like, an hour or two after them.” “They have, like, a really nice facility,” Harrell said. “I like Tennessee. I have been liking them since I was little. They had a winning football program, and like I said for all the other teams, if you have a winning football program, you’ve earned my respect. So Tennessee earned my respect, and I liked them.” - 247
  • Austin Clark: "On Austin Clarke, he said Tennessee continues to be a team he thinks highly of. He also mentioned Clemson, penn state, and unc as other schools he will see. He said he will be back for another visit." - Hubbs
  • Austin Clark: "Clark already has been to Tennessee for a handful of visits, and he said he enjoyed his latest look at the Vols. He has yet to identify any early favorites, but he said UT is one of five teams that are recruiting him hardest, along with Clemson, Penn State, Virginia Tech and Virginia. Today was his mother's first time at Tennessee, and he said she was impressed, too. Clark said he'll definitely visit Tennessee again before long." - 247
  • Andrew Wood: "I think the Mississippi State offer I just got surprised me the most," Wood said. "It's an SEC and that's exciting for me because I grew up watching the SEC." "Both my parents are Auburn alums so I grew up watching them play Auburn every year so I know a little bit about them," he said. "I'm going to try to get up there for their junior day on Feb. 22." "As a little kid that was my favorite school," Wood said. "As I've grown up it's not the same but I still watch them play. They're talking to me a little bit and their coach came by a couple of weeks ago so we'll see what happens." -Rivals
Sunday:
  • How many OL do we sign in '15? "I think they want four plus Dylan Jackson." -Fortenberry

TE Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Chris Clark receives 46 hand written letters from UT

LB Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Josh Smith: “Just to see them put in the recruiting class they had and have the season they had last year, I think they’re going to make a big impact this year in the SEC,” “It was crazy. They pulled all the in-state guys, so I want to see what they do next year. They all have the talent to do things, so I’m really excited to see what Tennessee does next year.” He said he already has developed a good relationship with Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. “I love him,” Smith said. “He’s a great coach, very enthusiastic about the game. He’s just a very upbeat person. He’s easy to connect with. He’s a players’ coach. Most players like him." Smith said his brother and teammate Jack Jones — a three-star junior offensive lineman who has been committed to Tennessee since May — also are doing their best to convince him to join them in playing for the Commodores and Vols, and they “might be the two hardest recruiters for Tennessee and Vanderbilt.” “(My brother is) a factor, but I wouldn’t say I’m going to base my whole decision off my brother playing for the SEC and Vanderbilt. This is my own recruiting process,” Josh Smith said. “He tells me all the time, ‘Enjoy your recruiting process. You only get one time. Make the decision that’s best for you. Just because I’m here doesn’t mean you have to come here, so pick a school that’s best for you, and I’m going to happy wherever you go.’” - 247
Wednesday:
  • Jerome Baker: “Coach (Mark) Elder is very passionate about Tennessee. He always tells me about the fans. I watch the videos he sends me. Tennessee is fired up and moving in the right direction. I’d like to get down there myself and see if it’s true.”-247 Sports
Friday:
  • Ricky DeBerry: "Tennessee is definitely a good program with coach (Butch) Jones and his staff. You can definitely see in the future that they are going to be doing great things, especially with the class they had this year," DeBerry said. "Me and coach Jones have a good relationship, along with the defensive coordinator and coach (Zach) Azzanni. I have a good relationship with those guys. "Tennessee has some of the best facilities out there so you can tell they are starting to heat things up with recruiting and they are getting a lot of top recruits and they should be back on top shortly." "Definitely a great football program and a place that has a lot of tradition and that has a winning tradition and that has sent a lot of players to the NFL," DeBerry explained. "I want a great coaching staff and it's got to be a place I can see myself living at for four years. "I want a place that I can obtain a good degree in whatever major I choose and a place where my family is comfortable in me being at. Those are really the main factors." - VQ
Saturday:
  • Darrin Kirkland Jr: "The Indiana linebacker said he was impressed with the vols. he would like to come back for the spring game. He's very early in the process but did like it here." -Hubbs
  • Darrin Kirkland Jr: “Everything went really well. I got to meet the staff on a more personal level, so it was good,” said Kirkland. “This was actually my first time in Tennessee, period, so it was really good. Great first impression.” “What made me want to visit Tennessee was just how they came into my school earlier in the year and they were telling me how great of a place it is, and their signing class and just everything. I just had to come see it for myself,” he said. “Six months ago, I had no idea about Tennessee. I was kind of focusing on my first offer, and then it kind of picked up really fast. As soon as summer hit — like, in June — I got a couple out of there from the camp season, and they came in with a relationship with my defensive coordinator at my school. “I like the relationship that has been built so far, and I’m looking forward to the future.” “I’d say my favorite part was just the personal level that I got to have with each of the coaches — Coach Jancek, Coach Strip’, Coach Thig‘ — and I got to talk with Coach Jones, me and my parents. He was talking about family,” said Kirkland. “And being able to go into the stadium, as well, that was quite a breathtaking experience. That’s a really large stadium they’ve got here.” -GoVols247
Sunday:
  • Darrin Kirkland Jr: "They came into my school earlier in the year and they told me how great of a school that it is. Their signing class and everything, I just had to come see it for myself." And the 6-2, 228 pound linebacker admits after seeing the Vols on Saturday as apart of junior day that, Tennessee lived up to the hype. "Yes, it did," Kirkland said. "I would say my favorite part is just the personal level that I got to have with each assistant coaches. Coach (John) Jancek and coach Stip (Steve Stripling). I got to talk to Coach Thig (Tommy Thigpen) and coach (Butch) Jones. He was talking about family. Being able to go into the stadium as well, that was quite a breathtaking experience. It's a really large stadium they have here." "I haven't been to too many places yet. I went to IU (Indiana) a couple of weeks back for a basketball game," Kirkland offered. "I'm kind of taking it slow with my visits just so I can focus on my schooling. "I definitely want to come back," Kirkland said. "Hopefully for the spring game. I don't know if it will work out, but I'm definitely going to try. "Six months ago, I had no idea about Tennessee. I was kind of focusing on my first offer. Things picked up pretty fast back in the summer. Tennessee came in with their relationship with my defensive coordinator. I like the relationship we have built so far and I'm looking forward to the future." -VQ

DLine Reruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Kyle Phillips: During most conversations, Tennessee remains one of the first names out of his mouth and he talked about why he remains high on the Vols. “Just the coaching staff, the fan support, even when they were losing they still sold out every game,” Phillips said of the Vols. ‘When I went there this summer, I found out about their academic support and how they’re going to help you in school and things like that so that’s something I like about them.” -247 Sports
  • Tim Settle: Tim Settle has heard plenty from Tennessee since getting a scholarship offer from the Vols more than seven months ago and receiving several visits from their coaches during the recent contact period. Now it’s his turn to visit Tennessee. The five-star junior defensive tackle from Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas, Va., who claims more than 30 offers to date, said he’s planning to travel to Tennessee for the first time Saturday to attend its junior day, and he’s looking forward to learning more about the Vols. “I’ve had (the visit) planned for the last few weeks,” said Settle, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 13 overall prospect and No. 4 defensive tackle in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class. “It’s not that far away — only seven hours away — so that’s not that far of a trip, and it’s right next to Virginia, so I might as well make the trip.” The 6-foot-3.5, 305-pound Settle said Tennessee stopped at his school “a total of three or four” times during the recent contact period, and he has continued to hear from a few of the Vols’ coaches, including assistant coach Mark Elder, defensive line coach Steve Stripling and offensive line coach Don Mahoney. They have continued to tell Settle “how Tennessee’s a great place and they need me,” he said, but he admittedly doesn’t know much about the Vols at this point. “They have a big stadium. I don’t know a lot about colleges, so I’m learning when I go,” said Settle, who has added offers from Florida State, Mississippi State, Syracuse and West Virginia since last week. “They’ve just been recruiting me, and I appreciate it. I just feel like, after they’ve come to see me a lot, I think it’s time for me to go see them.” Settle attended Virginia Tech’s junior day Saturday, and he said he’s scheduled to visit West Virginia next weekend and Virginia on March 1 following his trip to Tennessee this weekend. He said he already has been to a number of other schools, including Clemson, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. He said he’s still hoping to see “a lot of schools” over the next several months. For now, Settle said he’s taking his time with the recruiting process, and he has yet to identify any early favorites. He said he’s planning to announce his college decision in January at the Under Armour All-America Game. “I’m giving everybody a chance,” he said. “I’m open.” Settle said he’s hoping to find a school where he has “a great visit overall” rather than simply focusing on finding a team that’s close to home or willing to offer him early playing time. “I think I’ll play anywhere. It’s just a mindset,” he said. “I have to have a great visit overall. I don’t want to go somewhere that I don’t have the best time. It has to be a great visit. Show me the academics, everything. I might stay the night down there, hang out with the players — just chill.” GoVols-247
  • Kyle Phillips: Per Galilee on VQ... "As some of you know his mom is the AD at my alma mater Tennessee St. Univ. My sister is the president there. They were in town for a reception honoring TSU alum Claude Humphrey. We had a good conversation about Kyle. She told me that the father loves UT and is pushing hard. She also told me that AL is pressing hard. Vols do hold a slight lead now. It was suprising that she did not mention Vandy were she is an alum. She had great things to say about CBJ and CTT. She is so impressed with Thig. He has gained her trust and Kyle's also. She stated that Thig is up front and honest about everything. This one is long from being over but it does look good for Vols."
Wednesday:
  • DJ Jones: "Tennessee has been recruiting junior college defensive lineman D.J. Jones out of East Mississippi Community College for some time now. "They really wanted me out of high school. They showed a lot of interest but I just couldn't get in (to school)," Jones explained. "It was coach (Jay) Graham when he was still there, but now I talk to coach (Butch) Jones and coach (Steve) Stripling." The 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive tackle has never stepped foot on the Vols' campus but he has learned a lot about Tennessee from talking to the coaches and said they will be in it with him until the end. "I know it's a family oriented place and a great place to play," Jones said. "A lot of greats have come out of there. They are on the come-up. It will be on my final list." Right now he lists a top five of Florida State, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina and Ole Miss. Jones added he knows he's going to take an official visit to Tennessee, likely in the fall to get a feel for the atmosphere, and said it has meant a lot to him that the Vols helped him get to EMCC and never gave up on him. "It's the relationship and that they didn't give up on me coming out of high school," said Jones on why the Vols are firmly in his top group. "For them to stay with me that meant a lot and knowing they are staying with me in junior college even though I have more offers and stuff it means a lot." Because of Graham now coaching at Florida State, Jones said they will receive a strong look as well. "I want to take my time. I probably won't make my commitment during the year. I want to take my time and make my commitment in December," Jones said. "I want to take my time and take all of my visits and weigh all of my options."
  • Kyle Phillips: “I really just have a great relationship with all the coaches,” Phillips told IT. “Especially coach (Thigpen). He’s one of the best recruiters I’ve ever come across for sure. He’s a great guy.” “Playing it-state, yeah, it’d be cool and all, but it’s not really a factor to me,” Phillips said. “But, you know, Tennessee is getting all the talent from the state and it’s impressive, that’s for sure.” -scout
Saturday:
  • Kyle Phillips: "I've been talking to Tennessee a lot," Phillips said. "They're really trying to win the state in recruiting and they want to get all the top players in Tennessee and beat out Vandy and they were able to do that this year." "Really they've been selling me on the in-state angle and that we can be part of the turnaround," Phillip said. "They have a lot of good recruits coming in this year and they have a couple in 2015 already so they're going to try to keep on building." "They did a really good job recruiting this year," he said. "They got a lot of in-state guys that came. I think they did really good for the first year being there, getting their first class. They have a lot to sell and they did it pretty good." -Woody Wommack
Sunday:
  • Anree Saint-Amour says UT is among teams recruiting him hardest per scout

DB Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Ugo Amadi: “Tennessee is coming at me hard, Ole Miss is coming hard but Duke is coming hard too,” Amadi said. “They (Duke) know I can easily go to an SEC school but they know that they want me to be their dynamic player on the field for them and create plays. They don't want me playing just one side of the ball. They want me all over the field. That's very great for me. They say they'll give me freshman year playing time and they want me coming in early as well.” “Ole Miss said if you want to work hard you can get that early playing time,” he said. “Tennessee says you'll play regardless. It's just a matter of who's in front of you. That's what Coach (Tommy) Thigpen said. He said as long as I'm here, you're gonna play.” - 247
  • Ugo Amadi: The list of teams pursuing Ugo Amadi continues to grow, but the school that gave him his first scholarship offer almost seven months ago still is standing out in his mind. The three-star junior cornerback from Overton High School in Nashville, Tenn., said Tennessee is “still on top” among the seven schools pursuing him, and he intends to visit the Vols again within the next few weeks for one of their upcoming junior days. “They’re still on top. They’re doing a good job recruiting me, and they’re just hoping they get me,” said Amadi, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 35 cornerback and the state’s No. 14 overall player in the 247Sports Composite, which equally weighs prospect rankings and ratings from major recruiting media outlets. “I like the (Tennessee) fans. I like the stadium. A lot of people can fit in there. The head coach (Butch Jones) is trying to build it brick by brick, and he’s got a lot of fans coming up there and some top recruits attending there, too.” The 5-foot-9, 180-pound Amadi said he’s currently hearing the most from Tennessee, Duke, Kentucky and Ole Miss, and the Vols have made it clear to him that he’s one of their top in-state targets. “They want to get me back up there for a basketball game to see what their fans are like and how it is for football players, how they get treated up there and how much they love you up there,” Amadi said. “I’m trying (to visit Tennessee soon). I’m hoping so, because the weather’s been a problem for my parents.” Jones was one of a handful of head coaches who stopped at Amadi’s school during the recent contact period. Amadi said he also has stayed in frequent contact with Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. “We’re just keeping a strong relationship,” Amadi said. “I give him a call maybe once a week, just to tell each other how he’s doing, how I’m doing. He’s telling me how much they love me up there and how much they want me to get back up there just to see the school again. “They said I could fit in well and play early, too. It doesn’t matter who they have in there. I’m going to play regardless freshman year, and I won’t have to redshirt.” Amadi said it’s “a big deal” to him that some of his Nashville-area friends who have trained with him through In Full Motion/Playmakers Academy — including Vols freshman wide receiver Josh Malone and defensive back signee RaShaan Gaulden — now are recruiting him to join them at Tennessee. “They’re kind of recruiting me to go ahead and commit,” Amadi said, “but I’m just still keeping my options open.” Amadi said he’s also drawing interest from Alabama and Ohio State, among others, and he’s hoping to visit the Crimson Tide in March after recently staying in contact with assistant coach Kevin Steele. For now, Amadi said, he’s simply taking his time with the recruiting process and not rushing to make a decision on where he wants to play. “If it’s not before my senior season, I’ll (do it) in December for sure,” he said. -GoVols247
Saturday:
  • Ugo Amadi: "Tennessee and Kentucky are still coming pretty hard," Amadi said. "Coach Thigpen wants to get me up there for a basketball game and show me the environment and show me how the fans are." Amadi, who trained with 2014 Tennessee signees Josh Malone, Michael Sawyers and Rashaan Gaulden, said there's clearly a pull toward Knoxville from his friends."Yeah it's on my mind," Amadi said. "A lot of people I grew up playing with are over at Tennessee as well. I just want to see how they'll do this season and then I'll make my decision." "Kentucky is keeping tabs on me every day," Amadi said. "Coach Ansley still loves me. He said he knows there's going to be plenty of big schools coming my way but he's just trying to keep it touch as much as possible. He wants me to get up there for the junior day and he really likes me and thinks I can be a game changer at Kentucky." "Alabama just came through and I'm talking to them still," Amadi said. "They love my highlight tape, they can see that height is not a problem and they think that with my leaping ability I could play in their system." -Rivals
Sunday:
  • Cameron Ordway: "I've been talking to Mississippi State a lot," The Pulaski (Tenn.) Giles County product said. "I talk to coach Deshea Townsend and he's a good guy. We have a good relationship." "I talked to Coach Mason the other day and he seems like a good guy," Ordway said. "He said he wants to meet me in person so I'm going to make sure I make it down there for a visit or for camp soon." "My favorite and my dream school is Ohio State," he said. "They came to my school not too long ago and that kind of surprised me. It's probably the one I want the most, but even if they offered I still plan on waiting the process out." Ordway said this summer he plans on camping at several schools, with Ohio State and Tennessee at the top of his list. -Rivals

2016 Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Vols offer FL WR Darnell Salomon
  • TN WR AJ Morris: "After spending his sophomore season at Lancaster Academy in Smyrna 2016 wide receiver A.J. Morris is back at Pearl-Cohn in Nashville, where he spent his freshman season. Morris is a top prospect in the state in 2016. Even with a transfer under his belt, Morris has been concentrating on getting better. "I've just been focusing on getting better and working on my craft. Right now I'm just working on getting better," Morris said. Morris already has offers from Tennessee and UCLA and said there is something special about Tennessee. "It's kind of special that they are my first offer," Morris said. "Right now, I really like them. I have that feeling about them, like when you get your first car. It's a special feeling I have for them." Other teams have begun to recruit Morris lately, including Alabama who came to see him in the fall." -PFort
Friday:
  • TN TE/DE Emmitt Gooden: "2016 defensive line prospect Emmit Gooden told Volquest Thursday night that if everything goes well on Saturday he could see himself committing the Vols before leaving the trip. He didn't say he would for sure commit to the Vols, but he knows he doesn't want to leave the state and has always liked Tennessee so it wouldn't be a surprise if that news came from this weekend." -VQ
Saturday:
  • DE/TE Emmitt Gooden commits to the Vols
  • TN OL Ryan Johnson: "Brentwood academy offensive tackle class of 2016 Ryan Johnson was here today. He weighed in at 268. Likes Tennessee and is hearing from a ton of schools. Was impressed by academics." -Hubbs

2017 Recruiting:
Sunday:
  • UT offers TN ATH Jacoby Stevens

Reactions: 24 people
Weekly Recruiting Update History:

Reactions: 5 people
excellent work as always. Thanks POA for doing this for those of us that are not quite as enshrined in the comings and goings of recruits.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanx Pow the inter action between prospects and our staff is very interesting to read. Hell, the previous staff wasn't sending prospect sheets to the HS coaches. :roll eyes:

Keep up the good work and remember, ''A prophet has no honor in his own country". :good!:

VN Store

Back