'15 TX ATH Ryan Newsome

"Ryan Newsome is a Athlete from Aledo, TX. He tied a national record with seven punt returns for a touchdowns as a junior. He helped Aledo set a national single-season scoring record as a junior. He played at Hurst (Texas) L.D. Bell as a sophomore."

His film is pretty damn impressive if you ask me, especially considering his competition level where he is in TX.

Any relation to Ozzie Newsome?
I believe Ozzie is his uncle. Pretty sure I read they are related somehow, but I can't find anything to confirm that.

You have to like the way CBJ is recruiting guys who will make good special teams weapons. And not just return men.

I believe Ozzie is his uncle. Pretty sure I read they are related somehow, but I can't find anything to confirm that.

You have to like the way CBJ is recruiting guys who will make good special teams weapons. And not just return men.

Nice! :hi:

Yeah, remember when Devrin was hurt a few years ago and UT didn't even have anyone else on their roster that could catch the ball. Times are changing.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, remember when Devrin was hurt a few years ago and UT didn't even have anyone else on their roster that could catch the ball. Times are changing.
Yup, unfortunately. 2011 was a very forgettable year, during a very forgettable time. Also seen too many times our gunner blockers just let the other teams gunners run right past them and have a free shot at the punt returner. We should have good gunners and gunner blockers. I think Gaulden will be great at blocking gunners, to name a guy.

He's close friends with Jarrett Stidham.

Four-star WR Ryan Newsome will visit Texas Tech

I knew where Jarrett was going to go before anybody else. He told me that’s where he wanted to go. I was actually the one that told him to hold off and told him to pray about it. That’s a guy that I consider one of my best friends and I wanted him to be sure before he decides where he wants to go, pray about it, ask the Lord if that’s where He wants you to be. Do that first and not just because you’re feeling good about it. Pray about that thing and you won’t have to worry about it. You won’t have to worry about decommitting.”

Reactions: 2 people
DamonSayles: Wed 09:47pm New top 5 for #ESPN300 WR Ryan Newsome (@NewBoi17): #HookEm, #Sooners, #GoDucks, #8Clap and ... #RockyTop. #Vols replace #Irish in the mix.

Reactions: 3 people
“I told Tennessee they’re in my top five when I came back from my West Coast tour. They asked me if I’m committing somewhere, and I told them no, and they told me they were still going to come after me.”

The 5-foot-8, 168-pound Newsome —*who’s being recruited by most teams, including Tennessee, to play slot receiver —*said he decided to move the Vols into his top five because they have been “really relentless” in recruiting him.

“(Tennessee wide receivers) coach*(Zach) Azzanni*came down (during the spring) and watched me run at my track meet*—*he came down and saw me twice —*and he’s made me a priority for him and for his staff as well,” Newsome said. “(Head) coach*(Butch) Jones, I’ve talked to him numerous times throughout the process, and they’ve really (made) me a priority and told me how much they need me there.

“After I made my top five, they kept recruiting me, so that really showed that they really want me. I talk to them almost all the time.”

Newsome said he also talked with five-star defensive tackle*Kahlil McKenzie*of Concord, Calif., who recently announced his commitment to Tennessee, while they were at Nike’s The Opening last week about the possibility of playing for the Vols. Wants to OV for the Alabama game.

Reactions: 2 people
There's one thing you will never be able to say about this staff regardless of how they coach... we have some of the best recruiters in the nation.

Reactions: 4 people
As a junior, he rushed 83 times for 826 yards, 8 touchdowns along with 21 receptions for 532 yards, a 25.33 yards per catch and 10 touchdowns.

“It’s something I was just born with,” said Newsome of his playmaking ability. “My great, great uncle is Ozzie Newsome. I guess you can say I inherited that from him. It’s a blessing. I just love to go out there and do what I do especially in space. I can make a lot of people miss, I just try to do that. My speed helps a lot with that too.”

...He recorded his 40 yard dash time at the Texas Tech and TCU football camps last summer. “I was clocked at a 4.35, I’m not sure what I run right now,” Newsome said.

WholeHogSports - Top playmaker planning an Arkansas visit

Returned 12 punts for 423 yards & 7 TDs, 5 kickoffs for 203 yards & 1 TD. Ran a wind-aided 10.38 100m this spring.

Callahan said in the VIP room that if we miss on Jefferson, then to watch for us to turn the heat up on Newsome.

If Tennessee was to miss out on Jefferson, one name to watch could be Top247 slot receiver Ryan Newsome of Aledo (Texas) High School. Newsome said last week that the Vols have replaced Notre Dame in his top five, and he's interested in taking an official visit to UT this season. He remains high on Tennessee’s board, and he could become an even higher priority for the Vols if they were to miss out on Jefferson.

I hope we don't miss on Jefferson, but if we did this kid looks like a good alternative. Does anyone know how he did at The Opening?

VN Store

Back