Cleveland
View Map
Ht:6'4"
Wt:265 lbs
Class:2015 (High School)

Sterling Johnson - Yahoo! Sports

Sterling Johnson

2013 Sterling Johnson Highlights - YouTube

Tennessee has offered 2015 defensive lineman Sterling Johnson. The 6- foot-4, 265-pounder from Clayton, N.C., shows again how much the Vols are reemphasizing recruiting in the Tar Heel State. The Vols become Johnson's third offer after Clemson and Florida recently offered.

-John Brice

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Florida's fascination with the state of North Carolina pisses me off. You have enough in your own yard.

His Yahoo profile says he's been a Clemson fan since age 12 and they offered him first. Uphill battle on this one most likely.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this kid looks like a pumped-up Dobbs with eyebrows?

"A, I really feel as if I come off the ball very fast. I've seen on the forms of people who watch my highlight tape, they say I'm very strong and come off the ball fast," Johnson said. "And B., I play with a lot of hustle and intensity."

Johnson will take a similar approach to the recruiting process. Learning of his Vols' offer, Johnson called the UT football offices and quickly chatted with linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. Johnson knows some about the Vols; his sister is friends with just-departed Vol defensive tackle Dan McCullers. And as a freshman, Johnson said his school faced off against Derrell Scott's school in the playoffs and that Scott's school "put a pretty bad beatdown on us." Johnson said he most remembers a hit leveled by Scott's teammate, Pharoh Cooper, on a teammate that became the stuff of legend.

Johnson anticipates seeing the Vols on a junior day in the next few weeks; he'll also make several other visits to high-profile programs as he continues to move along in the recruiting process.

"I'm visiting Clemson (today), N.C. State on Sunday, UNC on February 22, possibly visiting Tennessee the 15th for junior day, South Carolina on the 29th, and Wake Forest on March 1," Johnson said. "I feel like it's a really big decision. I want to get every detail I can from each school."

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
Florida's fascination with the state of North Carolina pisses me off. You have enough in your own yard.

They have landed some of their all time biggest busts from NC as well...Steve Shipp from Charlotte and Derrick Chambers from Greensboro just off the top of my head. Grier doesn't exactly blow me away either...Now, that we are getting back on our feet I think we can dominate that state again like we did in the '90's...Clemson will be our biggest threat with most NC players.

I wonder why the services didnt rate this kid. He has a nice offer list from some big time schools. and he looks like an absolute monster

Chambers was from shelby. Clemson will fall back some now. Sc as well. NC is ripe for the picking for vlos right now especially greensboro west.

Johnson, a junior defensive lineman from Cleveland High School in Clayton, N.C., said he picked up offers from South Carolina, Ohio State and Tennessee this week, adding his latest offer from the Vols on Thursday during a phone conversation with linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen.

The 6-foot-5, 274-pound Johnson now claims nine offers to date, including five in the past two weeks, and he said he was particularly excited about his offer from Tennessee.

“I’ve never visited or been to a camp (at Tennessee), but I know — besides them struggling the past few years — I know they have a real strong tradition over there. And I honestly can say that they have a really loyal fan base,” said Johnson, who also holds offers from Clemson, Florida, Florida State, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

Just a piece of a Tennessee 247 article: Has a top 3 of Tennessee, Clemson, and Florida State in no order.

Actually said if he head to name a top 3 today that it would be TN, Clem$on, and FL St. Looks like he will be rated soon with offers like this.

“I definitely plan on visiting there before I make a decision. We talked about junior day on February 15, and I’m going to talk to my mom about that later on to see if I’ll be going there or not. I’m not quite sure yet.” “If I had a top three today, it would probably be between Clemson, Florida State and Tennessee, as of right now. With there being so many big schools, and with all the good traditions, it’s real hard to just pick out certain ones,”

“I honestly feel that, once they get them a solid coaching staff (at Tennessee), they’re going to be able to compete with anybody in the SEC. I feel like once they find that stability within their program, then they’ll take it to the next level.” “Even though I’ve never visited, I guess it’s just the atmosphere that I see whenever I watch their games or something,” Johnson said. “Even though they’ve had losing records for the past two, three years, I think — something like that — for you to still have 100,000 fans coming out to every single home game, that’s just incredible.”

-247 Sports

They have landed some of their all time biggest busts from NC as well...Steve Shipp from Charlotte and Derrick Chambers from Greensboro just off the top of my head. Grier doesn't exactly blow me away either...Now, that we are getting back on our feet I think we can dominate that state again like we did in the '90's...Clemson will be our biggest threat with most NC players.

Steve Shipp...blast from the past. I remember how bad we wanted him, and how devastated we were to hear him choose Florida.

VN Store

Back