Emmanuel Olenga - Yahoo! Sports

Emmanuel Olenga

Scout.com: Emmanuel Olenga Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA_G0CnPS4k

On campus today per Fortenberry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
B average?

A 2.9 is just below a B yes, but in public high school that is pretty low. The average GPA for high school students in the US is a 3.0 and that goes up when you take out the students who fail a lot of classes over truancy reasons.

Where did you get this statistic? I would like to know where in the US is there a public high school system (as in name 7 states) where the average gpa is a 3.0, and if you can name 7 out of 50 states....How many of those states produce a fair number of division 1 football players each year?

Reactions: 1 person

Ok. I read your little article, and it states that 3.0 is the average gpa for high school graduates, not high school students. Furthermore, that study includes the averages of graduates from all of our nations private institutions, which if removed, would cause a significant drop in the average. Not looking for a pissing contest here, but it bothered me a little for you to say this kids 2.9 gpa was really low for high school.

Ok. I read your little article, and it states that 3.0 is the average gpa for high school graduates, not high school students. Furthermore, that study includes the averages of graduates from all of our nations private institutions, which if removed, would cause a significant drop in the average. Not looking for a pissing contest here, but it bothered me a little for you to say this kids 2.9 gpa was really low for high school.

Well seeing as he would have to graduate to go to UT that is what matters imo. Also, why would you take away private institutions? A 2.9 for a public high school is low imo.

Also, I don't know why you would expect private schools to up the average as I would expect the exact opposite. Seeing as most private schools have increased curriculum difficulty I don't know how you could expect their average GPA to be higher than public schools; Unless you assume that people whose kids graduate high school that have a higher income have a better chance of having more intelligent offspring.

Last edited:
What a stupid discussion. A 2.9 GPA is plenty good as far as eligiblity goes.

And right now, that's all that matters. Not to mention his GPA is probably only for his freshman and sophomore years. Two years to bring it up. Not that he needs to for eligibility sake.

Well seeing as he would have to graduate to go to UT that is what matters imo. Also, why would you take away private institutions? A 2.9 for a public high school is low imo.

Also, I don't know why you would expect private schools to up the average as I would expect the exact opposite. Seeing as most private schools have increased curriculum difficulty I don't know how you could expect their average GPA to be higher than public schools; Unless you assume that people whose kids graduate high school that have a higher income have a better chance of having more intelligent offspring.

Schooling, Intelligence, and Income in America: Cracks in the Bell Curve

Poverty Effect On Intelligence - Business Insider

http://www.icherney.com/Teaching/Courses/Intelligence/Science%20Papers/Melissa_Nensel.doc

Last edited:
I can't believe this discussion is really happening.

How can you not believe it? Did you forget you were reading it on volnation? I am at the point where there is literally nothing written on here that surprises me. I expect it, in fact. I realize there are a large number of posters on here that would need to pool their IQ's together to break the 75 score threshold. It is what it is.

Vol nation arguments are really predictable:
-Sign 2* because Matthews was one. But not that Jakob Kid who looks legit but is a 2* so don't sign him (maybe grayshirt). Oh wait, Thig says he's the best in the Country apparently.

-Butch will only take 30, or 35, or whatever. Lets get really pissed at each other for a situation that will work itself out.

-Who commits next, but that means someone has to decommit (someone suggest Bryant) then somebody then says DONT SAY NAMES RECRUITS READ VN, later "Who won't be part of the class"

-Ron is the GOAT, sorry Lebron/MJ ... or He's just a sunshine pumper

Olenga, who was actually born in Congo before moving to America when he was six-years old, visited Tennessee for the Vanderbilt game and the 6-foot-5, 240-pound lineman said the Vols have impressed him the most of an school early on.

"I visited and I love the coaching staff and I love the players and I think Tennessee is probably where I fit in the most," Olenga said.

Along with Tennessee, Olenga also visited North Carolina, North Carolina State, Wake Forest and is also hearing from schools like Florida State, Auburn, Northwestern, Clemson and many others.

"They followed me on Twitter and then coach Knight sent me a message and then I just started talking to them and he's a really good person and we were talking a lot and he told me to visit," Olenga said.

Olenga was in Knoxville when Tennessee played Vanderbilt and he was able to talk to defensive line coach Steve Stripling. "Coach Knight grabbed me and took me to coach Strip and he's a great guy," Olenga said. "I like them a lot." Olenga added that he really enjoyed his time in Neyland Stadium. "It was a very hype scene. I liked the atmosphere at the game. It was very motivational and it was an environment I feel like I can play in," Olenga added. "Overall, it's just an atmosphere I really like."

-VQ

No one has all of his junior film. The kid is a specimen, but have to see his film before anyone offers.

He had a weird deal where he didn't play for the high school he attended, Olympic, but instead played for a club team, Airborne for Christ. He's going back to playing for his high school, Olympic, this fall.

But, playing for the club team, there's not much film out there right now. Teams are encouraging him to get some out.

-Fortenberry

Charlotte defensive end Emmanuel Olenga, a 6-5, 230-pound defensive end, was on campus for the junior day. Olenga spent last season playing what is the equivalent of AAU football: he essentially played for a club team. Anyways, his film was very late getting out but Tennessee had always been in contact and Olenga was in town last fall for the Vols' game against Vanderbilt (I wrote about him here. Saw him that night and he DEFINITELY passes the eye test).

The problem was, no one knew if he could play because these was no film. But, about three weeks ago his film finally got out and today when he was on campus Tennessee offered.

-Fortenberry

Last edited:
"I actually had a meeting with coach Jones and my father and my cousin, we were all in there talking to him and I left his office and we were touring everything and coach (Steve) Stripling took me up to the the defensive line room and we were going over some stuff," Olenga explained, "and he was impressed with how much I knew and then later when we were about to go to the game he grabbed me again and I was walking with coach Jones he offered me in front of everybody and it was just an exciting feeling.

"After coach Jones gave me the offer, coach (Mark) Elder and coach Knight were all standing there and coach Knight gave me a big hug. Coach Jones gave me one first."

"I like the atmosphere a lot around Tennessee and I love the facilities and it felt way more like home than any other school I've been to lately," Olenga explained. "I think it was the coaches and how cool they were and how calm they were. They just communicated to the players and recruits really easily. I just like the coaches a lot.

"I'm going to think about the coaches and the education and the word, 'family,'" Olenga explained. "Coach Jones mentioned it a lot and I really think in his heart he meant it and the way they help their players become student athletes, not just in the football world, but in the real world too, shows that." "I still have to talk to my parents and go from there. I thought about committing on the spot but I've got to just talk to my parents and see and then go from there," Olenga added.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
"I actually had a meeting with coach Jones and my father and my cousin, we were all in there talking to him and I left his office and we were touring everything and coach (Steve) Stripling took me up to the the defensive line room and we were going over some stuff," Olenga explained, "and he was impressed with how much I knew and then later when we were about to go to the game he grabbed me again and I was walking with coach Jones he offered me in front of everybody and it was just an exciting feeling.

"After coach Jones gave me the offer, coach (Mark) Elder and coach Knight were all standing there and coach Knight gave me a big hug. Coach Jones gave me one first."

"I like the atmosphere a lot around Tennessee and I love the facilities and it felt way more like home than any other school I've been to lately," Olenga explained. "I think it was the coaches and how cool they were and how calm they were. They just communicated to the players and recruits really easily. I just like the coaches a lot.

"I'm going to think about the coaches and the education and the word, 'family,'" Olenga explained. "Coach Jones mentioned it a lot and I really think in his heart he meant it and the way they help their players become student athletes, not just in the football world, but in the real world too, shows that." "I still have to talk to my parents and go from there. I thought about committing on the spot but I've got to just talk to my parents and see and then go from there," Olenga added.
-VQ

Whoa.

VN Store

Back