'18 TN DE Emmitt Gooden (Tennessee signee)

LynxVol

V,B
4_1086966.jpg

Emmitt Gooden
Strong-Side Defensive End
Brownsville, TN (Haywood)
Ht: 6-4
Wt: 245
CLASS OF 2016

After that, Stripling is expected to go to West Tennessee to check on Top247 lineman Charles Mosley of Brighton (Tenn.) High School one of the Vols top targets in the 2014 class along with 2016 defensive lineman Emmitt Gooden of Haywood High School in Brownsville, Tenn.

One to watch moving forwards, as he is already getting visits from Stripling. Can't believe this guy is only 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people
Younger brother of former Miss. State basketball star Jarvis Varnado. Had 32 tackles, 12 TFL and 4 sacks in Haywood County's first 4 games.

Though Gooden has no plans to follow his brother to the basketball court on the next level, Mississippi State is certainly a possibility on the football field. While he never visited his brother in Starkville over the course of his record-breaking career, Mississippi State is one of several programs that Gooden would like to visit in the future.

“I’d like to visit UT-Knoxville,” Gooden said. “That’s my home state. They say that it’s good to play at home. Mississippi State, it’s a great school. LSU, I love their atmosphere and I know a guy from Tennessee, Frank Herron and he plays there. And Alabama.”

West Tennessee is home to several elite underclassmen

Last edited:
I've never visited "brown town". It has just never appealed to me.

Its a terrible place. We actually use to call it Little memphis. It has the highest crime rate per residential square mile in Tennessee. When I was in school there you didn't even look up at people cause you didn't want them to get offended. The gangs are quite bad there as well. I might just go back and see this kid play next year though.

I grew up in Jackson and Brownsville was our big rivalry in those days. That was when it was the Jackson High Golden Bears and Brownsville Tomcats before consolidation, and Brownsville High became Haywood High and Jackson High and Merry High consolidated to become JC-M. Brownsville always had some tough teams and the winner of that game usually won the Big 10, which was the West TN conference both of us played in in the '60s.

Its a terrible place. We actually use to call it Little memphis. It has the highest crime rate per residential square mile in Tennessee. When I was in school there you didn't even look up at people cause you didn't want them to get offended. The gangs are quite bad there as well. I might just go back and see this kid play next year though.

I can't speak for the school situation, but the downtown streetscaping improvements make for a more attractive "main street" setting.

On Emmitt, I'd love to see him in orange.

I swear I read the title of this thread as '16 TN Decommit Gooden.

I thought.....What the hell! Who the hell is Gooden, and why did he decommit already?

Doh! :crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
I can't speak for the school situation, but the downtown streetscaping improvements make for a more attractive "main street" setting.

On Emmitt, I'd love to see him in orange.

I agree completely. The downtown looks fantastic now. I have been back several times to see friends. biggest thing to remember is the least amount of time you spend in Bville the better

I know Pearl couldn't pull Varnado, but I believe that area is big orange country. Obviously, it is early, but I trust CBJ with in-state prospects.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end is already forming a relationship with Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling. "I talk to him often," Gooden said. "I try to talk to him on the weekends and when we talk I usually ask him what's going at UT and he asks me about my family and I ask him about his and stuff like that."

Gooden was at the Auburn game..."My mom is a big Vol fan. She's a huge Tennessee fan. But, this was my second time there and it was very good. I first went there for an eighth grade all-star game and that was when coach Dooley was there The stadium and everything was great and I really liked the fan base," Gooden said.

"Vanderbilt is a smaller school than Tennessee, but they have good academics and Vanderbilt has a good family feel. Both schools really showed they had good character with the coaches.

"I like the coaches and the fans and the players. Vanderbilt and Tennessee are my top two schools. I want to stay in state," Gooden said.

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
This kid goes to my former high school. My mom is the guidance counselor there so I'll be sure to have her put in a good word about UT.

Reactions: 2 people
Would be awesome to lock up him A.J. Morris, Gabe Angel, Dorian Banks, and Peyton Williams soon to get the 2016 class rolling!

VN Store

Back