'16 TN OL Ryan Johnson (UT Commit 7/19/14)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
1475366.png

Offensive tackle
Brentwood, Tennessee
Brentwood Academy
View Map
Ht:6'6"
Wt:268 lbs
Class:2016 (High School)

Ryan Johnson - Yahoo! Sports

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
"I've been up there a couple of times and I've been up there for a couple of games and I went to a spring practice," Johnson explained. "I've had great conversations with the coaches and am building great relationships with the coaches. It's going great."

"I really like the atmosphere and coach Jones and how he coaches," Johnson said. "I like the atmosphere in Knoxville and they have great facilities and they have a great team and I really like everything about that school and the atmosphere around it."

Tennessee isn't the only school that's pursuing him as Miami, Michigan and James Franklin and Herb Hand of Vanderbilt are recruiting him early as well.

"I've met coach Franklin and I know coach Hand really well," Johnson said. "We have a great relationship, too. I really like Vanderbilt and they have a great team."

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
"Brentwood academy offensive tackle class of 2016 Ryan Johnson was here today. He weighed in at 268. Likes Tennessee and is hearing from a ton of schools. Was impressed by academics."

-Hubbs

Reactions: 2 people
Instate 2016 offensive lineman receives first two offers tonight

Brentwood Academy offensive tackle Ryan Johnson picked up a Tennessee offer tonight. Then, after he talked to coach Thigpen Ole Miss talked to him and offered as well.

-Fortenberry

From FranklinVol on VQ...

A little background on those guys. First of all, I'm thrilled that two more BA players have UT offers especially this early. I can tell you that Bryce is former Titans OL Jason (not Bruce) Matthews' son. Jason is also a coach at BA and a great guy! Ryan's dad, Tyke, owns a construction company in Brentwood and is originally from Chattanooga. I think he played college ball at Austin Peay. He coached my son in 6th grade and also a great guy. I know the Johnsons love the Vols! Jason Matthews played for AM. I haven't spoken to him personally since last weekend but I was told by someone that has that he was blown away by what he saw in Knoxville last weekend. Anyway, thought you might enjoy a little background on the two.

"They asked me to come up for junior day and I wanted to take a more in-depth look at things to see how they are as an athletic and an academic school," Johnson said. "I hadn't gotten a chance to look at the academic side. I also wanted to get a full tour of the facilities. That was pretty cool. I was excited about that."

"It was just really surprising. I was really surprised," Johnson said. "My coach, coach Abernathy told me to call coach Thigpen and I called coach Thigpen and he told me they decided to offer me and right when I got off the phone with Tennessee coach told me to call Ole Miss so I called them and they offered me, too, about five minutes later. It was pretty cool."

Both said they hope to visit Ole Miss at some point and schools like Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Miami, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and more are in the picture as well.

Both said they are planning on participating in the Rivals Camp Series this spring.

-VQ

Hope we can get him in Orange. I'd love to see this as a new trend in UT recruiting. Identify the top level instate OL/DL kids and if they project well, get them offered and onboard very early. Even if it is over a year before they sign. The sooner you have the big uglies locked up, the better IMO.

This is awesome news early on with Johnson. That '16 in-state class looks like it may be the best ever, especially if Middleton can get his act together. I assume the Mathews kid is going to be a tough pull from Texas A&M though.

This is awesome news early on with Johnson. That '16 in-state class looks like it may be the best ever, especially if Middleton can get his act together. I assume the Mathews kid is going to be a tough pull from Texas A&M though.

It's exciting to see that the state is now sustaining a healthy population of SEC level recruits

Hope we can get him in Orange. I'd love to see this as a new trend in UT recruiting. Identify the top level instate OL/DL kids and if they project well, get them offered and onboard very early. Even if it is over a year before they sign. The sooner you have the big uglies locked up, the better IMO.

We would have to tell him no for him not to be a VOL.

We would have to tell him no for him not to be a VOL.

Hope your right. With the staff having offered him this early, I doubt they would make him wait if he wanted to commit.

I love it before NSD we have multiple OL/DL kids in the fold for the NEXT recruiting class. Hope the staff continues that trend.

"I really thought it was a great experience for me and I had a great time and I really enjoyed going up there and getting to experience the atmosphere up there at the Orange and White game in front of the 68,000 people," Johnson explained.

"We got to go down there and talk to the coaches and that was pretty cool. It was pretty surprising because we went down there and talked to the head coach and he offered me so I was kind of surprised," Johnson said.

"I was actually there two weeks ago and I was able to talk to all the coaches in depth and that was great," Johnson said. "I talked to the offensive line, too and that was great. I hadn't had a chance to sit down and really get to talk to them."

"The one thing I noticed at Tennessee was the atmosphere and how it really feels like at family at Tennessee," Johnson explained. "They all seem like a family and it feels like a family and that's something you don't always see. They care about each other. It's a rare thing in a football team."

-VQ

Top247 rising junior offensive tackle Ryan Johnson of Brentwood (Tenn.) Academy is scheduled to visit Tennessee on Friday, his father told 247Sports on Thursday.

It will be the fourth time in the past four months that the 6-foot-5.5, 270-pound Johnson has visited the Vols, the team he grew up following. He received his first scholarship offer from Tennessee in February and has added offers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Kansas State since then.

Johnson is ranked by 247Sports as the nation's No. 175 overall prospect and No. 16 offensive tackle in the 2016 class.

VN Store

Back