'14 JUCO DT Owen Williams (UT SIGNEE 12/18/13)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
WILLIAMS%20AD%201008%20150.JPG

Defensive tackle
El Dorado, Kansas
Butler County C.C.
View Map
Ht:6'2"
Wt:285 lbs
Class:2014 (High School)

Owen Williams - Yahoo! Sports

Owen Williams

Owen Williams - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Expected to be an OV for the Auburn game per VQ.

Williams is an interesting name in that he's another junior college defensive lineman the Vols are after. Although he's committed to Texas Tech and did so recently he still wants to give the Vols a look. Bringing in Williams is just more conformation that Tennessee wants two junior college defensive tackles in this class.

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
If you count Lambert as a DT, only 2 more. I think we have room for one more JUCO DT and one HS DT.

Got you. I misread your other post.

I agree we can't take 3 more.

IMO Mosley only is a take if we can't get 2 Jc DTs. Keep in mind VQ says we are taking 2 more DTs

IMO Mosley only is a take if we can't get 2 Jc DTs. Keep in mind VQ says we are taking 2 more DTs

I think Barnett ends up at tackle too. In fact, I think that's more likely than Lambert given his youth and greater growth potential. I'm having visions of Darwin Walker all over again.

We need 3 more. If were trying to win next year, we need plenty of them.

Williams signed with Georgia Southern in 2011 out of Westside HS in Macon, GA.

He has put up some impressive numbers for a DT this season: 47 tackles, 8 TFL, 5.5 sacks & a forced fumble in 8 games. He finished with 42 tackles, 13 TFL, 3 sacks & 3 forced fumbles last year in 11 games.

We might need them but there isn't room IMO unless of course a few spots are open we all assume aren't

I'm assuming that we're going to open spots up on the 85. I think we'll send current players packing. We make room for the fatties.

I like this DT.

I see all these poeple jumping on the Mosley band wagon but not sure why. Have you guys seen his film? Mosely is a typical OL not a DT IMO. He is just truely not fast enough for DT. Heck we have enough slow DT as it is.

Reed, Lamin, Corey Thomas and now Owen Williams should be top priority for DT. Alabama got it right when they looked at Mosely. Sorry but the video shows me all i need to know.

I have no worries with the 85. The 30 is another story

Agreed. CBJ knows he has to take another step next year. You can only sell rebuilding for so long to 18 year olds. He seems to be trying to do that with immediate help in key areas.

The numbers will definitely work out, but to do that some ppl will have to be pushed out or grey shirt. Or they could just simply strike out with Malone, Mosley, and only get 1 juco DT.... But that's not happening.

Mosley is a run stuffing DT, which you need, yes he's a project, but he's only going to be a freshman next year... plus they need to address the DL in the incoming freshman class just as much as they need to in the JUCO ranks. If they dont then you are in the same situation again in 2 years needing to bring in 3-4 JUCO's on the Dline.

Also, I dont see Mosley being an OG at all in this style of offense like I've seen people speculate. He might project as an Offensive Lineman okay in an Alabama type of offense, but he doesnt like look like an offensive lineman that fits into a zone blocking offense like Tennessee, FSU and schools like that run.

As for Williams, I dont know how anyone can say anything good or bad about him at this point. He's a complete unknown. I'm assuming the staff is bringing him in on a visit to see for themselves if he is worth an offer or not.

Mosley is a run stuffing DT, which you need, yes he's a project, but he's only going to be a freshman next year... plus they need to address the DL in the incoming freshman class just as much as they need to in the JUCO ranks. If they dont then you are in the same situation again in 2 years needing to bring in 3-4 JUCO's on the Dline.

Have to disagree with equally important to this staff. CBJ has 3-4 yrs. They need immediate help next year on the DL.

It's evident that Jones puts emphasis on momentum, including in recruiting for 15'. A good season in 2014 continues that. UT can't produce top 10 classes being mediocre.

Next year will be CBJ's most important tenure year. If progress continues he will get another top 10 class. The quickest way for him to do that is to fill holes with immediate help on the OL and DL. Mosley will be productive when it may not even matter for CBJ. All accounts suggest that he is trying to win now.

Have to disagree with equally important to this staff. CBJ has 3-4 yrs. They need immediate help next year on the DL.

It's evident that Jones puts emphasis on momentum, including in recruiting for 15'. A good season in 2014 continues that. UT can't produce top 10 classes being mediocre.

Next year will be CBJ's most important tenure year. If progress continues he will get another top 10 class. The quickest way for him to do that is to fill holes with immediate help on the OL and DL. Mosley will be productive when it may not even matter for CBJ. All accounts suggest that he is trying to win now.

CBJ will get at least 5 years to prove himself. Huge difference between him and Dooley. The biggest thing being he is a proven winner as a head coach where Dooley never was when he arrived. Plus Dooley never recruited at anything close to an elite level so the future outlook for the program never really improved and secondly Dooley's teams showed no improvement from year 1 to year 3. I have no doubt we'll see improvement at least by year 3 with Jones' squad.

There is no doubt he is trying to win now, but I dont think he will be under fire as quickly as Dooley, simply because he already showing far more promise and has a resume that shows he can win.

As for next year, I think people need to temper their expectations. The roster is still going to have a lot of issues because of what he inherited. And once again they have a non-conference game that is going to be very tough to win, so that already sets them at a disadvantage as far as getting bowl eligible goes. It's not like Dooley's last two years where all the non-conference games were very winnable. Oklahoma on the road is much more difficult than playing Cincy or NC State.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Also, I dont see Mosley being an OG at all in this style of offense like I've seen people speculate. He might project as an Offensive Lineman okay in an Alabama type of offense, but he doesnt like look like an offensive lineman that fits into a zone blocking offense like Tennessee, FSU and schools like that run.

As for Williams, I dont know how anyone can say anything good or bad about him at this point. He's a complete unknown. I'm assuming the staff is bringing him in on a visit to see for themselves if he is worth an offer or not.

Agree on Mosley, had the chance to see him at a camp this year, and the kid is massive. Just have to get him here and let Stripling go to work.

I like this DT.

I see all these poeple jumping on the Mosley band wagon but not sure why. Have you guys seen his film? Mosely is a typical OL not a DT IMO. He is just truely not fast enough for DT. Heck we have enough slow DT as it is.

Reed, Lamin, Corey Thomas and now Owen Williams should be top priority for DT. Alabama got it right when they looked at Mosely. Sorry but the video shows me all i need to know.

What do you mean Alabama got it right when they looked at Mosley? They offered him too.

VN Store

Back