I haven't seen as much discussion about...

Orange to the Bay

...recent happenings with TN recruiting. At least not in separate threads, or much boomage threads. Ha.

-Getting a 4* JUCO OL who is the 4th ranked overall JUCO in the nation. Considering we only had three 3* HS OL recruits up to this point, and how many we are losing, getting a JUCO who likely is not going to need a whole lot of grooming before making an impact is HUGE IMO! Gotta "work like heck"/stay on him to make sure we retain him.

-We just got a top 10 in-state DL, in Barnett. Big! We've got to retain TN's top flight talent.

-I think (correct me if wrong) we are in good shape with Malone for WR as well. That is big. How are we doing with Petera Wilson and Charles Mosley?

-Needs vs. people I wouldn't mind being told to look elsewhere:
DT: I think we need a true DT commit. Right now we have 3 recruits listed as DL, all listed as DE, two are 3*, one is 4*. Since we have four 4* DB's and three 4* LB's committed, and Vic Wharton will likely be an addition to the DB position, as well as (again, correct if wrong) us being in good position with the Berry twins, I wouldn't mind losing Moseley and Dews to make room for maybe another DL and/or OL commit. With so many losses in the trenches, that will be key.
QB: an elite QB would be nice.
I'm otherwise liking the breadth of talent otherwise we have coming in. I think if you look at our recruits, you have people capable of being early depth or difference-makers at each position.

Got a tough game coming up against S. Carolina. They looked to shake off some early scuffles against some lessor teams. I didn't see the game, but either they played lights out, or Arkansas played like crap.

Hearing good things about our practices, and I'm liking the quotes I'm hearing from players. Some of it is just sports-speak, but seems there is mentality improvement and more unity amongst this team.

Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm verklempt. :clapping:

Last edited:
...recent happenings with TN recruiting. At least not in separate threads, or much boomage threads. Ha.

-Getting a 4* JUCO OL who is the 4th ranked overall JUCO in the nation. Considering we only had three 3* HS OL recruits up to this point, and how many we are losing, getting a JUCO who likely is not going to need a whole lot of grooming before making an impact is HUGE IMO! Gotta "work like heck"/stay on him to make sure we retain him.

-We just got a top 10 in-state DL, in Barnett. Big! We've got to retain TN's top flight talent.

-I think (correct me if wrong) we are in good shape with Malone for WR as well. That is big. How are we doing with Petera Wilson and Charles Mosley?

-Needs vs. people I wouldn't mind being told to look elsewhere:
DT: I think we need a true DT commit. Right now we have 3 recruits listed as DL, all listed as DE, two are 3*, one is 4*. Since we have four 4* DB's and three 4* LB's committed, and Vic Wharton will likely be an addition to the DB position, as well as (again, correct if wrong) us being in good position with the Berry twins, I wouldn't mind losing Moseley and Dews to make room for maybe another DL and/or OL commit. With so many losses in the trenches, that will be key.
QB: an elite QB would be nice.
I'm otherwise liking the breadth of talent otherwise we have coming in. I think if you look at our recruits, you have people capable of being early depth or difference-makers at each position.

Got a tough game coming up against S. Carolina. They looked to shake off some early scuffles against some lessor teams. I didn't see the game, but either they played lights out, or Arkansas played like crap.

Hearing good things about our practices, and I'm liking the quotes I'm hearing from players. Some of it is just sports-speak, but seems there is mentality improvement and more unity amongst this team.

Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm verklempt. :clapping:

Many of our best DL's have been HS DE's who moved down. John Henderson, Reggie White, Mark Studaway, Billy Ratliff, Darwin Walker are a few that come to mind. DE's tend to possess greater athletic ability which is vital particularly in a 4/3.

Reactions: 6 people
Many of our best DL's have been HS DE's who moved down. John Henderson, Reggie White, Mark Studaway, Billy Ratliff, Darwin Walker are a few that come to mind. DE's tend to possess greater athletic ability which is vital particularly in a 4/3.

Good point. But, this was mostly back when we had a stock of talent and depth, so they could bulk up/develop their bodies in a college weight program for a couple years and learn under experienced linemen before being asked to start or contribute much. For right now, until we have that, we're going to need a true DT that can come in and plug up the middle. I've heard that the Barnett kid projects as a possible DT in time, but likely not next year.

But, at the end of the day, I think we need as many talented trenches recruits as we can get. But, strategically, nabbing a couple game ready guys like the JUCO OL we just got a verbal from is highly impt. IMHO.

Good point. But, this was mostly back when we had a stock of talent and depth, so they could bulk up/develop their bodies in a college weight program for a couple years and learn under experienced linemen before being asked to start or contribute much. For right now, until we have that, we're going to need a true DT that can come in and plug up the middle. I've heard that the Barnett kid projects as a possible DT in time, but likely not next year.

But, at the end of the day, I think we need as many talented trenches recruits as we can get. But, strategically, nabbing a couple game ready guys like the JUCO OL we just got a verbal from is highly impt. IMHO.

Sadly, the last true DT we've had that was good was big Dan Williams. I'm not forgetting Malik Jackson but he was a Bit undersized IMO.

Butch is laying down the perfect fitting bricks for us building Tennessee back to a perineal power house.

Reactions: 3 people
People talk about dropping Emmanuel Mosley, but I doubt the staff would have offered this late if they didn't want him. I think DL will be fine. With the momentum, we will most likely end up with a HS DT and a JUCO DT in addition to Barnett and hopefully, Hendrix. I think you will see many interchangeable players who will roll down from DE to DT on passing downs. Also, while CBJ may very well still want a QB, all of the elite ones are committed. We would take one to groom for 3 years down the road.

I doubt very strongly we drop EM Moseley. Took him as a 2* upgraded to high 3*. Plus graded out at our camps in summer. Also having a great year. Speed speed and more speed....

Don't forget Jim Chaney is Arky's offensive coord. That is the main reason they did not hardly score any points. Cheney will probably cost the new coach his job eventually, like he did Doolander.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't forget Jim Chaney is Arky's offensive coord. That is the main reason they did not hardly score any points. Cheney will probably cost the new coach his job eventually, like he did Doolander.

Yeah, Chaney couldn't score on SCe last year...

Reactions: 2 people

LOL @ Chaney costing Dooley his job. That's hilarious.

Reactions: 16 people
Don't forget Davonte Lambert, a big JUCO defensive end (275 lbs.), who right now could slide inside and provide valuable reps at defensive tackle, particularly in passing situations. Lambert is almost as highly heralded at his position as Dontavius Blair, the recent JUCO commitment at offensive tackle.

LOL @ Chaney costing Dooley his job. That's hilarious.

That is pretty funny. When the 10,000 LB elephant (more than one pun intended) in the living room was on the other side of the ball last year. Chaney's O was the 2nd rated offense in the SEC last year. :eek:lol:

Shades of the "get rid of 3rd and Chavis" the year Fulmer was fired. His D ranked #1 or #2 in the SEC that year iirc. Couldn't find one of those comments last season. :eek:lol:

That is pretty funny. When the 10,000 LB elephant (more than one pun intended) in the living room was on the other side of the ball last year. Chaney's O was the 2nd rated offense in the SEC last year. :eek:lol:

Shades of the "get rid of 3rd and Chavis" the year Fulmer was fired. His D ranked #1 or #2 in the SEC that year iirc. Couldn't find one of those comments last season. :eek:lol:

#1 in Total Defense
#3 in Scoring Defense
#10 in opponent's 3rd down conversion - hence the moniker

cfbstats.com - 2008 Southeastern Conference

Sadly, the last true DT we've had that was good was big Dan Williams. I'm not forgetting Malik Jackson but he was a Bit undersized IMO.

Dan the man! Yeah, If I recall, Jackson was a converted DE anyhow, going back to another poster's point. I'm pretty sure he was a DE at USC, and then played some there here, before moving over due to need.

VN Store

Back