'14 TN LB Hunter Boyd

d3vols

Scout.com: Hunter Boyd Profile

Hunter Boyd - Yahoo! Sports

Hunter Boyd linebacker Tennessee football video jersey # 45 - YouTube

This kid is picking up a lot of steam in recruiting during his summer camps.

I saw him play a few times last season and has great vision and closing speed as a MLB and OLB. I called around and discovered that he weighs more than what Scout is posting, and I also got a few more stats about him:

Height: 5'11
Weight: 223
40: 4.68
Bench: 330
Squat: 480
GPA: 3.7

I also found out that he received MVP honors of his Elite O-D camp and is invited to play in their All-American Bowl in Orlando at some point in December.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Looked pretty good they will say his height, but i say if you can play it does not matter if you are 5-11 or 6-2.

His coaches said that he is trying to get to a bunch of camps for exposure since he plays at a smaller school. They also said that Miss. St. is becoming very interested

Great film. Kid has a violent streak to him and I like it. Will be interesting to keep an eye on him and see how he does this year.

Reactions: 2 people
He's a hitter and is instinctive. ESPN has him listed at 5'9" and a 5.03 forty. Can never go by what a coach or a roster says. Coaches tend to embellish on rosters a little bit.

So we know he's somewhere between 5'9" and 5'11" and runs somewhere between a 4.68 and a 5.03 forty.

Al Wilson's 1999 NFL Combine results: 6'1" 239 lbs. and a 4.56 forty.

He's a hitter and is instinctive. ESPN has him listed at 5'9" and a 5.03 forty. Can never go by what a coach or a roster says. Coaches tend to embellish on rosters a little bit.

So we know he's somewhere between 5'9" and 5'11" and runs somewhere between a 4.68 and a 5.03 forty.

Al Wilson's 1999 NFL Combine results: 6'1" 239 lbs. and a 4.56 forty.

Based on what I saw on his film, he is much closer to the 4.6 than the 5.03. He runs down a lot of QBs/plays from behind. Looks to be quick to me. I doubt speed would be an issue as a LB.

Yeah, you have to take the posted times on these sites with a grain of salt. They also had Lawrence Lee with a 4.71 40yd dash from his freshman or sophomore year. One look at his film and you can tell he's closer to 4.5.

He ran the 5.03 at the Nike SPARQ Combine on April 11, 2013. Was 5'9" and 208 pounds. Ran the shuttle in 4.66. Vertical Jump was 32.9. The forty was most likely electronically timed and the height measurement was barefoot. There is usually about a .2 to .22 difference between a handheld forty and an electronic. So on a handheld he is about a 4.8.

Not a take at 5'9"

He ran the 5.03 at the Nike SPARQ Combine on April 11, 2013. Was 5'9" and 208 pounds. Ran the shuttle in 4.66. Vertical Jump was 32.9. The forty was most likely electronically timed and the height measurement was barefoot. There is usually about a .2 to .22 difference between a handheld forty and an electronic. So on a handheld he is about a 4.8.

Not a take at 5'9"

Something wasn't adding up after reading your post, so I called around some more and found out that he tore his Labrum in his right shoulder midway through the season, but still played the rest of the season. He went on to have surgery after the season and was still going to Physical Therapy during that camp.

Not making excuses for him, but being a Physical Therapist, I am sure he will bounce back.

Last edited:
It's always good to scratch a substandard time, which is an option of every kid at a SPARQ camp. I did notice he did not throw the powerball...most likely because of his shoulder. However, a torn Labrum does not change the fact he is 5'9". Wish him the very best for his senior season and beyond.

It's always good to scratch a substandard time, which is an option of every kid at a SPARQ camp. I did notice he did not throw the powerball...most likely because of his shoulder. However, a torn Labrum does not change the fact he is 5'9". Wish him the very best for his senior season and beyond.

Yes I agree with you, and I also see throughout various camps (many that I went to when I was in high school) that had different measurements for their/my height. Like I said, I have seen him play a few times this past season and he is not 5'9.

Quite possible, over 1,000 young men participated that day. They run them through like cows at a stockyard. I'm sure mistakes are made but they try to be very accurate as it is not a camp...it's a combine, and all they do are tests and measurements. Hope he has a great senior season and earns a scholarship to the school of his choice. I enjoyed his film very much. Kind of player you want on your team...headhunter!

Could see this guy walking on and being a Reveiz' brothers type player who contributes as a special teams player. Can never underestimate the importance of good special teams!

Quite possible, over 1,000 young men participated that day. They run them through like cows at a stockyard. I'm sure mistakes are made but they try to be very accurate as it is not a camp...it's a combine, and all they do are tests and measurements. Hope he has a great senior season and earns a scholarship to the school of his choice. I enjoyed his film very much. Kind of player you want on your team...headhunter!

Yessir, 100% agree.

"headhunter" :rock:

Not comparing this guy at all bc I haven't seen him play in any form. But Rennie Curran was 5'11", weighed about 230, and ran around a 4.7-4.8 and was extremely productive at Georgia. I know he is much more of the exception than the rule. But just saying that being under 6 foot does not mean one can not be a good player in the SEC.

Volunteer Kirby - I am the author of the video. There is absolutely NOTHING sped up on the video, it is taken directly from game footage and not altered in any way I assure you. IN FACT, you can see all of the exact same plays on hudl.com which comes directly from school submissions. have at it.

Last edited:
Volunteer Kirby - I am the author of the video. There is absolutely NOTHING sped up on the video, it is taken directly from game footage and not altered in any way I assure you. IN FACT, you can see all of the exact same plays on hudl.com which comes directly from school submissions. have at it.

dont believe it, sorry. there are several plays you can see where the speed changes. when every player on the field instantly starts to run faster, its sped up. it looks like what you did is just record his hudl highlights. and im pretty sure players and parents can also submit highlights

Okay, so it's laggy then, but it appears to speed up and slow down a lot and it also looks like it was altered to synchronize with the music in certain spots. Might want to look into the video editing or video uploading programs you use.

VN Store

Back