'15 TN LB Josh McMillon

wU-Tang Vol

Love smart athletes. They usually know how to put in the work both physically and mentally to be the best at their sport. Hope this kid comes our way!

Reactions: 1 person
Joshua McMillon

At 6-3, 230-pound McMillon is a linebacker with the size and the physicality to play inside or put his hand down to rush the passer. Heading into the week, he held early offers from ten programs including Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Tennessee. Over the course of this week’s trip, he added offers from Auburn, Georgia and Kentucky.

On what stood out about the last three days: “Alabama, we went up there for a camp and it was pretty intense. The coaches had us working, executing every play. Down there at Auburn, it’s beautiful down there. Coach Tim Horton made us feel welcome down there. With Tennessee and Georgia, Georgia gave me an offer, we were living great down there. They’ve got an indoor facility and a new stadium they’re building onto. Then UT-Knox, they’ve got a great facility and a their stadium seats 102,000 people. Today, coach James Franklin said I’m going to be a 2015 commit. He’s pretty sure about himself.”

On receiving an offer from Georgia: “I was pretty shocked. My coach, he was saying very little about Georgia and they seemed interested but I wasn’t expecting an offer when I came up here. My eyes got big when they told me.”

On receiving an offer from Auburn: “I was pretty excited about Auburn, Coach Tim Horton came down and talked to me for about 5 or 10 minutes then when I sat down with Ellis Johnson, he gave me the offer and said the scholarship was mine if I wanted it. He wanted me to do well in academics too so I liked that about him.”

The exit poll

Best Facilities
Sturghill: Georgia. I loved everything about how their campus is made. They’ve got a lot of unique things that I’ve never seen before.

Cathey: Tennessee and Auburn. They go hand in hand. At Auburn, the players’ lounge, they’ve got a game room downstairs with a pool table and they’ve got orange and blue lights. It’s off the chain. Tennessee was great too, just all of it.

Jones: Auburn. It just stood out to me because they had a lot of things that other colleges don’t have.
Johnson: Auburn. I liked all of it.

Thomas: Auburn. When I first walked in the stadium, I said this is beautiful.

McMillon: Tennessee. Their stadium, their indoor facility and weight room and the rehab rooms. They have three or four whirlpools to work with your body and a lot of machines to get you back in top shape.

Favorite Assistant Coach

Sturghill: I’d say Tennessee coach Mark Elder.

Cathey: All the coaches were great with me, Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss. I liked everybody’s coaches.

Johnson: Coach Elder at Tennessee. He’s just a nice guy. He’s just awesome.

Thomas: Coach Elder at Tennessee

McMillon: Coach (Geoff) Collins from Mississippi State. He almost jumped on me when he saw me. He was very excited to get me down there. He actually gave me a motto. He said Mississippi State makes the best linebackers in the SEC.

Favorite Head Coach

Sturghill: Coach James Franklin. Me and Coach Franklin have got a real good relationship. We just clicked.

Cathey: I like Dan Mullen and Butch Jones. They speak advice and they tell you the truth and always give you something to take with you.

Jones: The Auburn coach and the Tennessee coach. Both of them, they stood out to me by how they were communicating, with how they showed me around.

Johnson: Tennessee’s head coach. He seemed like he’s very cool and laid back. He’s straight forward with you.

Thomas: Tennessee’s head coach. He’s just laid back with us.

McMillon: Coach James Franklin. We talked twice now. When I came down to their 7on7 camp, he actually brought my bags to the dorm. I kind of like that. He was just telling me about their new facilities and stuff like that.

Best looking girls
Sturghill: Tennessee
Cathey: Tennessee
Jones: Tennessee
Johnson Tennessee
Thomas: Tennessee
McMillon: Tennessee

Best Stadium
Sturghill: Tennessee. It was the biggest and had the most attendance.
Cathey: Tennessee. They’ve got the biggest stadium and their locker room was off the chain.
Jones: Tennessee. That Checkerboard end zone.
Johnson: Georgia. Probably Georgia and Tennessee.
Thomas: Alabama.
McMillon: Tennessee. That’s a big crowd, you play in front of 102,000.

-247 on his recent SEC tour

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
"I talked with Josh McMillan this afternoon here in Chicago, he had a great trip to Knoxville, had a lot of good things to say about the staff and the facilities. When I asked him about favorites he told me he didn't have any yet, but later told Kynon Codrington that Vandy, Alabama and Miss. State were standing out. Apparently his father really likes Franklin."

- Rob Lewis

"I talked with Josh McMillan this afternoon here in Chicago, he had a great trip to Knoxville, had a lot of good things to say about the staff and the facilities. When I asked him about favorites he told me he didn't have any yet, but later told Kynon Codrington that Vandy, Alabama and Miss. State were standing out. Apparently his father really likes Franklin."

- Rob Lewis

i wonder how long Miss State will be a favorite with all the stuff they are going through

i wonder how long Miss State will be a favorite with all the stuff they are going through

Doubt it comes into play. They were not given a post season ban or anything. If anything recruits looking for "a little extra" may look at msu as they know those guys will pay. :p

- Rob Lewis

Doesn't sounds that good. Curious what he had to say about UT

What's the deal with this guy? Is he still high on vandy? Top 100 guy that I didn't know what our interest level is.

Crystal Ball shows 1 for Ole Miss and 1 for Vandy. Hopefully, he doesn't commit for a while and gives Butch and Co. a long look. We're recruiting so well right now I feel like if the staff truly wants the guy then we'll get him. I'm hoping this guy doesn't end up being like over-rated initially like Petera Wilson (also from Memphis).

Ole Miss' 247 site had an article on McMillon about 10 days ago. According to that article, it appears that Vandy and Ole Miss were the schools standing out early. With JF gone, maybe McMillon is someone we start to see more from.

McMillon didn't start playing FB until he was in junior high, and thus, he's only been playing for about 3 years. He plays OLB and DE for his HS team. He knows he still has a lot left to learn. One negative is that his HS has some players on the current Ole Miss roster, i.e. Mark Dodson.

Rivals top 100 player is on campus.

Fortenberry has talked to Josh and confirmed that he's on campus. He'll visit UT tomorrow and head home tomorrow night.

Reactions: 2 people
Article on 247. Said the visit went good. Did not get to meet with Butch or Thig because they were out of town. Elder has recruited him very well so far. Likes that Peyton Manning came out of UT. Said UT's engineering program is a selling point. Said he will be back in the Summer to visit again. Said he wants to announce closer to NSD.

He said UA, AU, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and Michigan were standing out thus far. Said he's very high on UT as well. His dad "loves" the Vols.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Article on 247. Said the visit went good. Did not get to meet with Butch or Thig because they were out of town. Elder has recruited him very well so far. Likes that Peyton Manning came out of UT. Said UT's engineering program is a selling point. Said he will be back in the Summer to visit again. Said he wants to announce closer to NSD.

If he does plan to wait till NSD, that could help UT recruiting him. There MAY be more spots available closer to Feb 2015.

VN Store

Back