2015 TN Prospects

Volicidal Maniac

What up Volnation?!?!
This is my first thread and i want to talk about the in-state talent in the class of '15.
CBJ seems to be dealing out quite a few offers to '15 prospects and I know there isn't alot of info out there yet and yes, I know that they are still only sophomores but, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on a few questions I have.

1) How is the in-state talent level looking(in the class of '15) compared to the class of '14?
2) Who would y'all say, are the top 1-5 prospects in the state next year?
3) How would y'all rank the in-state talent level in '15 compared to other states?
4) What position looks to have the greatest quality of players?

I hope this thread not only answers my questions, but also answers some of yall's questions too. Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to reading your responses. Haha

P.S. Butch Jones gets it.......Ya Dig?!?!

There are threads on this exact topic, but bc you're new, I won't dog you. :D

1. Same or better at the top, maybe not as deep as 2014.

2. Rico McGraw, Drew Richmond, Josh Smith, Kyle Phillips, and then probably Woods.

3. Couldn't tell you.

4. ATH

1. It's a bit early to say with camps still going on. Offers are just now starting to roll out, even for top shelf prospects in TN, so based on the low amount of offers thus far it will be difficult to get a gauge on the talent level for someone who does not closely follow TN high school athletics. Here's a look at the # of players from TN who were in the Rivals250 over the past 10 years;

2014; 6 players
2013; 8 players
2012; 6 players
2011; 2 players
2010; 3 players
2009; 2 players
2008; 2 players
2007; 6 players
2006; 3 players
2005; 3 players

That gives you an average of 4 players in the Rivals250. Right now it's unclear, but if I had to guess Drew Richmond and Rico McGraw have the offer list to warrant a 250 rankings. But it's too early to tell for the others. A lot of names and offers have been emerging over the past two weeks and will continue to do so throughout the Summer.

2. Way to early and not enough information out to make a solid guess, but I'll give it a shot;

1. Rico McGraw
2. Drew Richmond
3-5. Kyle Phillips, C.J. Sanders, and Jaylond Woods.

3. Better than: Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri, Arkansas.
Worse than: Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina.
And about on par with Mississippi.

4. The Athlete position. :p

Reactions: 1 person
Good answers guys...Obviously it's real early to answer a lot of questions like this, but I'll take a shot and give my opinion...

1) I don't know if the '15 class will have the kind of impact player that the '14 class has in Jalen Hurd for example (top 10/20 player nationally) but the '15 class seems to absolutely be just as talented IMO.

2) http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-recruiting/193282-2015-prospects-tennessee.html

3) I think the talent level is definitely rising in Tenn. IMO the recent trend will continue and the number of athletes going on to play at the D1 level will continue to climb.

4) Fortunately it looks like the OL/DL are pretty strong next year with guys like Z Stewart (commit) Drew Richmond, Jack Jones, Dylan Jackson etc. Also, looks to be another strong DB class led by Rico McGraw, along with plenty of ATH like commit Jaylond Woods.

Great to see Butch taking advantage of all the talent being developed in Tenn!

Hope this helped answer some questions, I'm sure many others have much more knowledge about the instate guys than I do.

Last edited:
With Hurd, TKjr, Malone, and Bars all Top 100 guys, I think '14 will be a little better at the top. However, I think '15 will have just as much if not more depth.

When it's all said and done, I think McGraw, Richmond, and J. Smith will be the Top 3 players in state for 2015.

There are threads on this exact topic, but bc you're new, I won't dog you. :D

1. Same or better at the top, maybe not as deep as 2014.

2. Rico McGraw, Drew Richmond, Josh Smith, Kyle Phillips, and then probably Woods.

3. Couldn't tell you.

4. ATH

New?...... Who me? Haha Nah Bro. I get my 5th star next month. I just don't comment that often (Sept for here lately with all the buzz around the program). But mybad for starting a new thread on this topic. I just haven't seen one in a long while and I really wanted to start my first thread on this subject. I really appreciate the info y'all have provided so far. Gives me a better picture of what is to come from our high school talent.

In-state talent will continue to improve as middle school programs identify and develop talent early. The top HS programs year in year out have strong MS programs. :twocents:

In-state talent will continue to improve as middle school programs identify and develop talent early. The top HS programs year in year out have strong MS programs. :twocents:

That is something that has bothered me since high school. I'm 24 and when I was playing middle school ball in GA(Rossville), the coaches and community took "Learning" the game of football very seriously. And it speaks volumes for once you get to high school. I played my freshman year are Ridgeland and then transferred to East Ridge High(TN). The difference in the program, players and community support was like day and night. At Ridgeland, when entering high school, the players knew what position they would play and how to play it. At East Ridge, the coaches looked at you, without evaluations, and just told you what position to play. And don't get me started on weight programs in TN.

That is something that has bothered me since high school. I'm 24 and when I was playing middle school ball in GA(Rossville), the coaches and community took "Learning" the game of football very seriously. And it speaks volumes for once you get to high school. I played my freshman year are Ridgeland and then transferred to East Ridge High(TN). The difference in the program, players and community support was like day and night. At Ridgeland, when entering high school, the players knew what position they would play and how to play it. At East Ridge, the coaches looked at you, without evaluations, and just told you what position to play. And don't get me started on weight programs in TN.
I didnt know they had a weight program, in the state of Tennessee.:)

With Hurd, TKjr, Malone, and Bars all Top 100 guys, I think '14 will be a little better at the top. However, I think '15 will have just as much if not more depth.

When it's all said and done, I think McGraw, Richmond, and J. Smith will be the Top 3 players in state for 2015.

I dont think there is a Jalen Hurd type in the '15 in-state class but '15 will be better overall in the trenches. Oline looks real good IMO. Richmond, Stewart and Jones will all be Top 10 prospects in the state and 4-star type guys on the OLine. That is rare for the state of Tennessee.

I dont think there is a Jalen Hurd type in the '15 in-state class but '15 will be better overall in the trenches. Oline looks real good IMO. Richmond, Stewart and Jones will all be Top 10 prospects in the state and 4-star type guys on the OLine. That is rare for the state of Tennessee.

I think McGraw could end up on the same level as Hurd in regards to hype and ranking. He was already getting hyped up last season, and with another stellar season this Fall, I could see him being on the 5 Star line.

You're totally right about the depth of Linemen in '15. That's something I don't think we've ever seen in TN. You mentioned Tichmond, Stewart, and Jones. Right now, you've got to feel really good about our chances with all 3.

I think McGraw could end up on the same level as Hurd in regards to hype and ranking. He was already getting hyped up last season, and with another stellar season this Fall, I could see him being on the 5 Star line.

You're totally right about the depth of Linemen in '15. That's something I don't think we've ever seen in TN. You mentioned Tichmond, Stewart, and Jones. Right now, you've got to feel really good about our chances with all 3.

I go back and forth on McGraw as far as a potential 5-star guy. No doubt he is a solid Top 100 guy nationally. I just dont know that I see the truly eliteness that I do in Hurd. A guy with Hurd's natural talent is just so freaking rare IMO.

I agree about the 3 offensive lineman. I'm surprised they seem to be in it as much as they are with Richmond when you consider the staff at MUS. From what I heard Jones actually did a great job against Phillips over the weekend. I think he was only beaten a couple times during the entire day.

I didnt know they had a weight program, in the state of Tennessee.:)

Ill elaborate. Every away game we had, our team would have to suit up in either: a small ass locker room, that reeked of feet and sweaty ball sack or a weight room that was just as small with ancient weight equipment from the 70's and 80's. Haha Saquachie county, Grundy County, Tellico Plains, Brainerd High and Polk County just to name a few. But East Ridge takes the cake when it comes to Useless High School Weight Programs. Ya Dig?

1. It's a bit early to say with camps still going on. Offers are just now starting to roll out, even for top shelf prospects in TN, so based on the low amount of offers thus far it will be difficult to get a gauge on the talent level for someone who does not closely follow TN high school athletics. Here's a look at the # of players from TN who were in the Rivals250 over the past 10 years;

2014; 6 players
2013; 8 players
2012; 6 players
2011; 2 players
2010; 3 players
2009; 2 players
2008; 2 players
2007; 6 players
2006; 3 players
2005; 3 players

That gives you an average of 4 players in the Rivals250. Right now it's unclear, but if I had to guess Drew Richmond and Rico McGraw have the offer list to warrant a 250 rankings. But it's too early to tell for the others. A lot of names and offers have been emerging over the past two weeks and will continue to do so throughout the Summer.

2. Way to early and not enough information out to make a solid guess, but I'll give it a shot;

1. Rico McGraw
2. Drew Richmond
3-5. Kyle Phillips, C.J. Sanders, and Jaylond Woods.

3. Better than: Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri, Arkansas.
Worse than: Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina.
And about on par with Mississippi.

4. The Athlete position. :p

I don't agree with south Carolina being better talent producing than Tennessee. Its about on par with or even a little better than South Carolina the last few years. Tennessee put more D-1 talent out than South Carolina last year I know for sure.

I don't agree with south Carolina being better talent producing than Tennessee. Its about on par with or even a little better than South Carolina the last few years. Tennessee put more D-1 talent out than South Carolina last year I know for sure.

South Carolina has produced better talent in the past. Looks as if we may be catching up to them

Don't forget Joshua McMillon, I think he will be a top 5 in state player.

Tennessee has had strong in-state talent over the past few years now, but it doesn't change the fact that South Carolina, generally speaking, produces more talent than Tennessee.

Don't forget Joshua McMillon, I think he will be a top 5 in state player.

Yep. Just shows how early it is to start making predictions for a top 5 or even top 10. Before yesterday, Josh McMillon wasn't even on the recruiting websites radars. And now we learn he's got 10 offers from the likes of Ohio State, Tennessee, and Alabama.

VN Store

Back