4174 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on If we land 4. Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Vols Recruiting. I agree, we need a homerun hitter that has Heisman potential. Its time our running game got back to being ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Recruiting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #31 (permalink)

I agree, we need a homerun hitter that has Heisman potential. Its time our running game got back to being potent. It would only help our new QBs and help open up the pass attack with Bowles, Pig, Croom, etc..

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNVol View Post
The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.

I don't want to go down this road again I really don't but you just can't compare CBJ's situation to Dooley's first year or Kiffin's first year. Dooley inherited a top ten class with I think 8 EE's already in school. CBJ inherited a 25+ ranked class with a bunch of dead weight. CBJ has had to basically put together an entire class in two months while Dooley only needed to add 3-4 players and his class was done. In Kiffin's case he did everything possible to get recruits in his first year including breaking rules and taking every character misfit he could find. I don't care where that class was ranked it was the worst class in the history of Tennessee football. There are just to many variables that go into recruiting to make these type comparisons.

Last edited by GLDunlap; 01-18-2013 at 01:32 PM..
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLDunlap View Post
[/B]

I don't want to go down this road again I really don't but you just can't compare CBJ's situation to Dooley's first year or Kiffin's first year. Dooley inherited a top ten class with I think 8 EE's already in school. CBJ inherited a 25+ ranked class with a bunch of dead weight. CBJ has had to basically put together an entire class in two months while Dooley only needed to add 3-4 players and his class was done. In Kiffin's case he did everything possible to get recruits in his first year including breaking rules and taking every character misfit he could find. I don't care where that class was ranked it was the worst class in the history of Tennessee football. There are just to many variables that go into recruiting to make these type comparisons.
Truth.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevilvol View Post
IF Green is as good as advertised and UT pulls him then he could be the biggest recruit the Vols land in years. New coach and QB, we will need a running game more then ever. The line is solid, and if Green could come in and be a star from day 1 like a Richardson, Lacey, Lattimore, and so on, then that will be a godsend to a down program with a new staff and qb/wrs. I like Neal and Lane but let's face facts they wouldn't sniff playing time with the big dogs of the SEC. If we miss on some of these blue chips it won't feel as bad if we land Green. IMO
absolutely
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLDunlap View Post
[/B]

Agree. We are still in uncharted territory mode as a whole
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNVol View Post
Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.

Man, I understand where you're coming from, but here are a few reasons why these are not very good comparisons:

Saban......Well, he's Saban......and it was Alabama. I don't care what their record was previously.

Kiffin came in with an allstar coaching staff including his dad (from the NFL).

CBJ has the wonderful opportunity of being our 4th coach in 5 years. He is kind of starting out with the deck stacked against him IMHO, but he seems to be doing OK. That will not work in the long run for sure, but I'm willing to give him time. What else can we do.

GBO VFL!!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRazor View Post
We have a real coach now to coach 'em up, so top 15 or 20 should be keep us highly competitive
Keep in mind, top 15 in the country is roughly top 5 or 6 in the SEC. We don't need to lose site of where we finish in our conference because we go to war with those guys every week.

I do love this staff though and it would be great to finish in the top 15 for this year.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLsince68 View Post
Man, I understand where you're coming from, but here are a few reasons why these are not very good comparisons:

Saban......Well, he's Saban......and it was Alabama. I don't care what their record was previously.

Kiffin came in with an allstar coaching staff including his dad (from the NFL).

CBJ has the wonderful opportunity of being our 4th coach in 5 years. He is kind of starting out with the deck stacked against him IMHO, but he seems to be doing OK. That will not work in the long run for sure, but I'm willing to give him time. What else can we do.

GBO VFL!!!
BJ can win with what we already have, maybe not against the top 3 or so in conf, but the rest he should.
Reply With Quote TOP