1451 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on If we land 4. Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Recruiting. These next 2 weekends will ultimately decide our fate for the next decade. If we land all or most of ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Recruiting

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit, MI suburbs
Posts: 798
Likes: 487
These next 2 weekends will ultimately decide our fate for the next decade. If we land all or most of the Greenes, Lawsons, Bells, etc...TN football will be back in black and look like a top 10 program of all-time. If we strike out with them, that ominous black cloud that has been following us for the past 4-5 years will grow and we will be irrelevant for another decade!


HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...
UTVolWarrior98 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,254
Likes: 567
The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.
ETNVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 550
Likes: 598
Having read all of this....

Isn't it amazing though what 2-3 really talented freshman can do for an entire offense of defense? I could list you several true freshman that saw significant playing time on several SEC teams this year that made a huge impact.

We need some of those.
utvols74 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,254
Likes: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols74 View Post
Having read all of this....

Isn't it amazing though what 2-3 really talented freshman can do for an entire offense of defense? I could list you several true freshman that saw significant playing time on several SEC teams this year that made a huge impact.

We need some of those.
Any of them would help, but Lawson could be a game changer. A player like him could almost singlehandedly turn the D around.
ETNVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Take One per Meal
 
Catbone's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 14,648
Likes: 5,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 77 View Post
It's the SEC. We will need 3 big recruiting classes in a row to get back to the top. JMHO
Your honest opinion is correct.
Catbone is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
VN Crisis Counselor
 
volswillrise12's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Knoxvegas
Posts: 1,759
Likes: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNVol View Post
The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.
I disagree with that----I think Jones is busting his ass to recruit--and the staff...and if you want to count some other ways we're better off than with Doofus we can. Only thing we need to see is an improved product on the field---we'll see how that works.
volswillrise12 is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jerseydevilvol's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south jersey
Posts: 395
Likes: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvols72 View Post
@jersey ,I don't know where you get Green walks on campus and starts from day 1.Lane , Neal is just not going to hand the job to him. It don't matter what he did in high school once you get to college. If he comes to UT he will have to earn that spot. Bryce Brown was a 5* and he didn't start from day 1.
Didn't say he would, however if Green is as good as say a Trent Richardson or a Marcus Lattimore he will start from day one. Trent Richardson would of started over any back we had his freshman year including Hardesty. If Green is a Freshman stud then it wont' matter what Lane and Neal do.

Last edited by jerseydevilvol; 01-18-2013 at 11:28 AM..
jerseydevilvol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Plateauvol's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Likes: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVolWarrior98 View Post
These next 2 weekends will ultimately decide our fate for the next decade. If we land all or most of the Greenes, Lawsons, Bells, etc...TN football will be back in black and look like a top 10 program of all-time. If we strike out with them, that ominous black cloud that has been following us for the past 4-5 years will grow and we will be irrelevant for another decade!


HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

I think that's a bit of an over reaction.
Plateauvol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jerseydevilvol's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south jersey
Posts: 395
Likes: 154
I'm not saying give him the spot because he is a 5* recruit but if he is the real deal then he should beat out the backs we have.
jerseydevilvol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShowSomePride's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevilvol View Post
IF Green is as good as advertised and UT pulls him then he could be the biggest recruit the Vols land in years. New coach and QB, we will need a running game more then ever. The line is solid, and if Green could come in and be a star from day 1 like a Richardson, Lacey, Lattimore, and so on, then that will be a godsend to a down program with a new staff and qb/wrs. I like Neal and Lane but let's face facts they wouldn't sniff playing time with the big dogs of the SEC. If we miss on some of these blue chips it won't feel as bad if we land Green. IMO
Lane was a top 100 recruit coming in as a freshman I believe. I personally think he'll excel and really stand out in Jones' new style, his strengths align more with this system more so than Neal's IMO. Even if we get Green, and he is as good as advertised, I don't see him making an immediate impact.
ShowSomePride is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,254
Likes: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by volswillrise12 View Post
I disagree with that----I think Jones is busting his ass to recruit--and the staff...and if you want to count some other ways we're better off than with Doofus we can. Only thing we need to see is an improved product on the field---we'll see how that works.
Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.
ETNVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShowSomePride's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,080
Likes: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNVol View Post
Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.
While that may be true, 2014 is arguably one of the best classes the state of Tennessee has ever produced in the past decade or two, so I think that class will by far be the most important to see if he can keep the in-state talent.
ShowSomePride is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 5,818
Likes: 1,909
If we land all 4 of them you are talking about i will run buck naked up and down toad road where i live, wont be pretty sight.
terrypedigo is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jerseydevilvol's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south jersey
Posts: 395
Likes: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSomePride View Post
Lane was a top 100 recruit coming in as a freshman I believe. I personally think he'll excel and really stand out in Jones' new style, his strengths align more with this system more so than Neal's IMO. Even if we get Green, and he is as good as advertised, I don't see him making an immediate impact.
Neal and Lane were both 4 stars coming out of high school and both highly rated. Idk I guess I'm just not to high on those guys. Don't get me wrong their good backs with talent, but I'm just ready for a big back that will put a hurting on people. I do think Green would have a impact here if he really is that good. I'm talking can't miss talent though. I'm ready for UT to get one of those rare guys that are ready to play from day one. Alabama seems to get one every year. UGA got a good one too.
jerseydevilvol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Drop The Leash
 
GahLee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 13,048
Likes: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNVol View Post
Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.
You should really consider the fact that each coach after Fulmer has been dealt a worse hand than the coach before him.

Butch is replacing the worst coach in UT history, it's going to take some time to create in-roads with a whole new database of recruits who only know a down and beaten UT.

He needs to get a few that were off our radar under Dooley and pull a respectable class, he will have his chance next year with all the legacies and in-state recruiting to pull a monster class.

Tr me, this staff has until next NSD to prove themselves.
GahLee is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27