3547 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Huge snow may affect recruiting Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Recruiting. Originally Posted by Weezer The day that hell froze over. The night before, Wade Houston's team miraculously beat KY at ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Recruiting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
The day that hell froze over. The night before, Wade Houston's team miraculously beat KY at TB. Great game. It started snowing not too long after the game and didn't stop. I believe Wade may have sold his soul to the devil for that win, lol.
I went to that game! I remember....One of Wade Houston's few bright moments...Nice man, terrible coach.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Snow in January?!!! OMG!

1-3" that melts within a half day. C'mon, man!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

fwiw...weather bug isnt calling for anything here in Nashville today.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Don't worry about what you can't control boys! God wears a cap with an Orange T on it.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Today Rain before 1pm, then snow. Temperature falling to around 33 by 3pm. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Tonight A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 10pm. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 22. North wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

good old NOAA

NOAA National Weather Service

that is around Bean Station

will it bring in the Northern recruits ?

as all ways Go Lady Vols
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
The day that hell froze over. The night before, Wade Houston's team miraculously beat KY at TB. Great game. It started snowing not too long after the game and didn't stop. I believe Wade may have sold his soul to the devil for that win, lol.
Was that the famous Corey Allen rebound/putback of an intentional missed FT by Allan Houston for the win? I remember everything about that game, if it's the same one Didn't realize it was the same night as that snow storm, because I remember it like it was yesterday too. I was 13 years old that winter. What a great time to have been a kid too.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lighten Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
Was that the famous Corey Allen rebound/putback of an intentional missed FT by Allan Houston for the win? I remember everything about that game, if it's the same one Didn't realize it was the same night as that snow storm, because I remember it like it was yesterday too. I was 13 years old that winter. What a great time to have been a kid too.
That's the game. I was in the Pep Band back then and we had seats right behind the basket where it all went down. Houston intentionally missed his 2nd FT, Allen rebounded the ball and put it in the basket to tie the game. Refs blew a whistle on the put back and called a foul against KY. Allen goes to the line and wins the game. Probably the most exciting game I've ever seen at TB. It really was a miraculous win.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols4us View Post
Snow in January?!!! OMG!

1-3" that melts within a half day. C'mon, man!
Exactly, its been too warm and is a wet snow that will melt quickly.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Bet the FLA kids would like to see some snow. Hope that alittle sticks around. Doubt travel will be too much of an issue anyway.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
That's the game. I was in the Pep Band back then and we had seats right behind the basket where it all went down. Houston intentionally missed his 2nd FT, Allen rebounded the ball and put it in the basket to tie the game. Refs blew a whistle on the put back and called a foul against KY. Allen goes to the line and wins the game. Probably the most exciting game I've ever seen at TB. It really was a miraculous win.
Seems like it was a late game too. Like 9pm tipoff, correct? I seems I remember my dad allowed me to stay up and watch it even though it was late. That was the basketball game I have the fondest memories of as a child. My disdain for UK basketball was fully born on that night. What a game.

Sidenote: I didn't realize the game coincided with the snow storm, but I do remember my dad renting "Pistol: Birth of a Legend", the Pete Maravich story for me at the video store the night of that storm and I watched it a half dozen times during the next week.

Some great memories.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
OB/GYN Kenobi

there goes any advantage UT had over any northern states that get snow
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hooyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLDunlap View Post
It looks like we may be ok here by Friday afternoon but Virginia, North and possibly South Carolina may be in a world of hurt until at least Saturday. Hopefully this will not affect any of our weekend visitors but I just pulled the following post off a Pro Met board posted at 12:55 AM Thursday

just looked at the progression of RAP model through hour 18. We're looking down the barrel of a very special event here. Look for your local forecasters and NWS offices to react soon, with more vigor. This is almost an unprecedented event, but March 2009 is the lastest we can find , I'm sure there are others. The upper low is taking shape now in western Mississippi and will close almost to 3 contours by Atlanta, taking on negative tilt. At first, the heavy rains, but the 850s' really crash in Alabama and Georgia, and this will spell a world of hurt when the moisture totally wraps around the 5H low, not to mention the 7H low. and 850. The track will absolutely cream eastern TN at first then spill quickly into western NC mountains and foothills by dark. The track of the 5H is probably mishandled by all models, as I've been saying for days. On the northwest side, you're looking at some convection and serious rates of snowfall. This will probably eclipse the 2009 event in parts of western NC and VA because this airmass is actually juicier than that one. Look at the water potential maps on this one, unbelievable. Turn that into snowfall in western NC and VA, eastern TN, and northeast GA and I think we could be looking at a really unprecedented event. Same goes for everywhere northwest of the upper low in northern Alabama, northern to central GA and then a nearly stationary band for Upstate SC to western NC for a while. The RATE of snowfall will be extreme, I can't express that enough.
Thanks, Todd Howell.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood1104 View Post
there goes any advantage UT had over any northern states that get snow
i thought they would like it ? lol and know it is gone in a day or so

as all ways Go Lady Vols
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

It is East TN weather, it is hardly ever as bad as the forecast.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Soccer Apologist

Man I miss living in Tennessee, where there is a meltdown at the mere mention of snow.
Reply With Quote TOP