'13 CA TE Woody Quinn (UT signee)

Friday, Elder is scheduled to see a couple of tight ends including Brandon Vandenburg as well as Woody Quinn.

Quinn is an extremely interesting story as he played football his freshman year of high school and then went on to play Volleyball in high school and at Pepperdine before want to give football a go. Naturally, at 6-foot-6, 250 and an explosive leaper for someone his size, Santa Ana College gave him a chance and his tape from this season is just now beginning to get out and he picked up his first offer Thursday night as Fresno State pulled the trigger.

But, that likely won't be the last as Tennessee, Auburn, San Diego State, among others have taken a serious interest in Quinn.

-VQ

I hate to that guy again Ron but I want guys that love football. Choosing volleyball over football isn't part of a championship resume IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Do You know who Antonio Gates is?

what about Jimmy Graham ?

I know it happens but for every gates there are countless others that proved that their love for the game wasn't high enough for them to be successful. Sure there are examples to contradict everything in life but as a general rule if something's not a passion for a person they can't achieve greatness.

One of these days, Bruin, I'm going to get you to look at something with a half full glass.

I am darn sure doing that with jones. I am not a very big fan at all of the spread but am choosing to have a positive outlook. I appreciate your info you being here a lot and certainly don't mean to be that guy all the time.

Yes but you made a blanket statement about his choosing Volleyball...

maybe he was more developed at Volleyball and wanted to pursue his chances. maybe he was thinking about trying to make the olympic team, maybe he took on a challenge and met it head on...

for you to judge him as not having a championship resume without knowing a single thing about him or his character is rather silly.

Reactions: 12 people
Well Seems like a fast learner,coach-able. We need some TE's. If the staff thinks he can play, I,m OK with that.
-T-

maybe he was more developed at Volleyball and wanted to pursue his chances. maybe he was thinking about trying to make the olympic team, maybe he took on a challenge and met it head on...

for you to judge him as not having a championship resume without knowing a single thing about him or his character is rather silly.

Get em, Jay

Duplicate

Last edited:

If he chose to play volleyball then he clearly had more of a passion for that than football. The reason for that choice is irrelevant. I cant imagine having concerns about a kids lack of passion for a sport being silly. In fact it is very relevant and basically all we have to go on here. The point is he better have freakish talent if he is to overcome his lack of football experience and lack of real commitment to the game IMO.

Athletes are athletes no matter what sports they choose to play in HS. That's why they play numerous sports until they find the one they can excel in. There was a pretty fair QB down at FSU that did well in football and ended up with a decent NBA career in Charlie Ward. He figured it out for himself.

Let's give it a go.

If he chose to play volleyball then he clearly had more of a passion for that than football. The reason for that choice is irrelevant. I cant imagine having concerns about a kids lack of passion for a sport being silly. In fact it is very relevant and basically all we have to go on here. The point is he better have freakish talent if he is to overcome his lack of football experience and lack of real commitment to the game IMO.

This assumption seems to be what you are basing your opinion off of. You are correct though in that where his passion lies is irrelevant. Pretty sure Allen Iverson's passion was for football first and while he had a lot of ability, ultimately, basketball was what took him to the highest level. The explosion necessary to play college volleyball lets me know he has plenty of athleticism. I was sold based off of that alone, but that's just my opinion. Let's try to get some more information before we start to make character assessments.

After thinking it over having a real passion for football is irrelevant in determining a kids ability to succeed in the greatest football conference is the country. I am sure if we have a team full of players that chose other sports instead of playing football at all then that will certainly not effect our ability to succeed at winning championships.

Last edited:
woodyq.jpg

TrésDay;8004716 said:
This assumption seems to be what you are basing your opinion off of. You are correct though in that where his passion lies is irrelevant. Pretty sure Allen Iverson's passion was for football first and while he had a lot of ability, ultimately, basketball was what took him to the highest level. The explosion necessary to play college volleyball lets me know he has plenty of athleticism. I was sold based off of that alone, but that's just my opinion. Let's try to get some more information before we start to make character assessments.

Iverson played both sports. This kid didn't play football at all for a number of years. Big difference

To your point, a lot of guys happen to enjoy more than one sport as well. 2 other big names that played basketball and football in college were Tony Gonzalez and Julius Peppers. Both probably could have found a roster spot in the NBA as well had they decided to go that route.

After thinking it over having a real passion for football is irrelevant in determining a kids ability to succeed in the greatest football conference is the country. I am sure if we have a team full of players that chose other sports instead of playing football at all then that will certainly not effect our ability to succeed at winning championships.

He's playing football now. Sometimes, it just takes a while to find your niche and know what you want to do. If he didn't want to play, he would not be on this path, he'd be chasing tail at co-ed volleyball leagues, IMO.

VN Store

Back