4 stars are better than 3 stars #fact

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Poster 1: I"m a little worried that we haven't been landing more four star guys.
Poster 2 (response A): Trust the evaluations of our coaches.

Poster 2 (response B): Stars don't matter. [Insert good college player] was a 3-star. How'd that work out?

I would like to emphasize for the record that while Poster 1 may be annoying, Poster 2 is both annoying and RETARDED. Recruiting rankings do matter, and discussions about them are perfectly appropriate and constructive. So for those who wish to make mention of recruiting stars (or even offer list stature) a taboo subject: please stop your silly little crusade. It is going to be discussed, and it is probative.

Hug your friendly neighborhood recruiting rankings - Dr. Saturday - NCAAFBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Mister Relevant: Why you shouldn't dismiss recruiting rankings - Dr. Saturday - NCAAFBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Star Power: Recruiting gurus' All-American track record, by the numbers - Dr. Saturday - NCAAFBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Star Power: Recruiting gurus' track record at the top of the polls, by the numbers - Dr. Saturday - NCAAFBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Star Power: Judging the recruiting rankings, game by game - Dr. Saturday - NCAAFBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Reactions: 4 people
I have always thought if these recruiting guys were so good at evaluating talent they would be on a coaching staff somewhere.

Stars matter to a certain extent. But it's not the end all, be all

I think these guys have found a great way to make a living. People take their word for gold, and if they miss on a prospect, it is always someone else's fault.

If you have a staff that can't coach them up, stars don't mean squat. The fat man is proof of that.

If any fan base should doubt the recruiting rankings it's this one. The 2007 and 2009 classes looked a lot better on paper then they do the field. So while Dr. Saturday would call this 'anecdotal' evidence, I call it a crappy 5 years of football.

magnet for two and three star recruits. He still thinks he is in the WAC competing against other two and maybe 3 star players. I am still perplexed where Wilcox fits into the recruiting equation? We need defensive help desperately and you just don't hear where he is involved. Now Chavis wasn't the greatest recruiter either but at least he could coach, not sure about Wilcox imho the jury is still out. Oh by the way recruiting IS the lifeblood of college football. You don't recruit well you lose.

magnet for two and three star recruits. He still thinks he is in the WAC competing against other two and maybe 3 star players. I am still perplexed where Wilcox fits into the recruiting equation? We need defensive help desperately and you just don't hear where he is involved. Now Chavis wasn't the greatest recruiter either but at least he could coach, not sure about Wilcox imho the jury is still out. Oh by the way recruiting IS the lifeblood of college football. You don't recruit well you lose.

What do you mean by recruit well? If you are referring to star power, Boise, TCU, and VA tech beg to differ...

Stars matter to a certain extent. But it's not the end all, be all

This.

Of course I would prefer our classes be comprised of 4* and 5* guys that by no means automatically = championships. It must be the RIGHT 4* and 5* guys with the solid 3* guys thrown in the mix. There is way more to champiionship teams than the players star ranking coming out of high school

Stars may matter, but they aren't the be all and end all. The problem is that the services can't go to every school so they rely heavily on what they see on film and at camps. That reality is why you have situations where a Randall Cobb goes under-evaluated and is missed by many major universities. What I believe Dooley and the rest of the staff are trying to do is rely on their evaluations a bit more heavily. Additionally, the difference between that high three star and low four star isn't night and day. Generally, technique and the coaching a prospect has received up to that point has a lot to do with the evaluation, and those small differences are what separates that three star from the four star prospect. In some cases you can coach to correct those shortcomings, but the staff has to be strong in prospect development. Don't disregard the stars, but don't rely on the star system blindly either.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

why some put the services down and put their faith in a coach who has shown us nothing yet. IMHO you need consensus studs to win not projects.

While recruiting does matter, coaching matters just as much or more. When Nick Saban went to Alabama, he won early with guys that weren't highly thought of in the recruiting services. While some of his early recruits had decent impacts, the whole of his recruiting classes hadn't taken the field yet. Florida, Texas, Georgia, and USC should all also be examples of how star power isn't the end all end all. They all had extrememly sub par years last year compared to how much talent they were fielding. The OP is right. Stars do matter, but don't make it the end all end all. You have to recruit to your strategies correctly, you have to have chemistry, you have to develop the players you recruit, and you have to put a gameplan together for Saturday that helps you win the football game. All of those translate into a winning program.

While recruiting does matter, coaching matters just as much or more. When Nick Saban went to Alabama, he won early with guys that weren't highly thought of in the recruiting services. While some of his early recruits had decent impacts, the whole of his recruiting classes hadn't taken the field yet. Florida, Texas, Georgia, and USC should all also be examples of how star power isn't the end all end all. They all had extrememly sub par years last year compared to how much talent they were fielding. The OP is right. Stars do matter, but don't make it the end all end all. You have to recruit to your strategies correctly, you have to have chemistry, you have to develop the players you recruit, and you have to put a gameplan together for Saturday that helps you win the football game. All of those translate into a winning program.

but studs make the coaching job much easier. But ultimately it is about all the things you listed.

but studs make the coaching job much easier. But ultimately it is about all the things you listed.

I agree. Your percentages are much higher when you have a bunch of studs in the stable. I just hate to see people who say if you recruit well then you WILL when championships. It makes it easier and more likely, but doesn't always work out that way.

I love how the OP uses articles from Rivals to prove that Rivals is awesome. Rivals, Scout, ESPN, and 24/7 are made up of writers not scouts. They make a product marketed to the fans not the coaches. It's a great business model. Get fans to pay a subscription and then fight for its importance and accuracy on other message boards to get more people to buy subscriptions.

I love how the OP uses articles from Rivals to prove that Rivals is awesome. Rivals, Scout, ESPN, and 24/7 are made up of writers not scouts. They make a product marketed to the fans not the coaches. It's a great business model. Get fans to pay a subscription and then fight for its importance and accuracy on other message boards to get more people to buy subscriptions.

Lol. I guess the Universities and the NCAA aren't the only ones "exploiting" amateur athletes and making a fortune.

What did coaches do to recruit kids before recuiting services? Recruiting services are just here to make money, bottom line!

Wow! We've never had this discussion before!

Just bustin your chops o/p :)

Go Big Orange!!!!

so exactly which star rating is one supposed to trust?

ESPN? No way, they know nothing about recruiting
Scout? Nah, rivals is much better
Rivals? Has admitted inflating rankings to get traffic from certain teams

just hoping the OP can help me sort it all out

Reactions: 1 person

Is that you Phil?

VN Store

Back