2818 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Recruiting Forum: Football Talk Page 644. within the forum Tennessee Vols Recruiting. Originally Posted by volstopfan14 Vols-Bama on Oct. 20 could be at Noon on ESPN , 3:30 p.m. on CBS or ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Recruiting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #9646 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14 View Post
Vols-Bama on Oct. 20 could be at Noon on ESPN, 3:30 p.m. on CBS or 7-7:45 p.m. on ESPN. Time will be announced on Oct. 13.

UT Football tweet
Would hate to see our program relegated to the Vandy and Kentucky time slot. As long as we beat Mississippi State though, we should not have to worry about that.
vol2013 is offline   TOP
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #9647 (permalink)
#BackTheBuzz

Quote:
Vols-Bama on Oct. 20 could be at Noon on ESPN, 3:30 p.m. on CBS or 7-7:45 p.m. on ESPN. Time will be announced on Oct. 13.

UT Football tweet
Hopefully a win vs. MSU will be enough to keep us away from the noon start. Although something tells me the "3rd Saturday in October" has enough clout to warrant a better start time on its own.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #9648 (permalink)
VFL

LSU-A&M and Florida-South Carolina are the other games we are competing with for the 3 time slots. As long as we win vs MSU, I can't see it being a noon game.

Hopefully it will be LSU-A&M at noon, UF-USCe at 3:30, and UT-Bama at 7-7:45 on ESPN.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #9649 (permalink)
Moooooon River...

Quote:
Dooley said that Palardy will handle field goals and extra points against MSU.

Brewer is still listed over McNeil on the depth chart, but Dooley said that there is a good chance McNeil starts.
Perhaps BB would like to comment on this but, wouldn't Brewer be better suited at the STAR position?

He just seems like he'd be better suited at a rover position than dropping back into coverage; where its obvious he struggles....and where's the speed we heard about over the summer??

He looks more like a hybrid LB/S to me. I dunno, JMO.

BB, thoughts?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #9650 (permalink)
VFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblood79 View Post
Perhaps BB would like to comment on this but, wouldn't Brewer be better suited at the STAR position?

He just seems like he be better at a rover position than dropping back into coverage, where its obvious he struggles....and where's the speed we heard about over the summer??

He looks more like a hybrid LB/S to me. I dunno, JMO.

BB, thoughts?
JMO, but I think he's perfect for the Money position. That is a dimeback/hybrid S/LB who lines up at LB in the nickel. Sapp and Brewer have both played Money for us this season.

At Money, Brewer would be much closer to the ball so his speed wouldn't be exposed so much. He'd be asked to cover tight ends and running backs as opposed to receivers.

Against Akron, Brewer started at FS and Sapp was at LB/Money. When Brewer started getting exposed, they moved Waggner back to FS and Brewer to LB/Money.

Same thing against UGA, except this time it was McNeil replacing Brewer at FS and Brewer replacing Lathers at LB/Money.

I'd expect McNeil to get the start at FS, but for Brewer to come in at LB/Money in the nickel against MSU.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #9651 (permalink)

Palardy kicking this week, McNeil could start.

As for our Oct 20 game, a strong argument could be made that it is the least impressive of the three matchups.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #9652 (permalink)
Fort Sanders Refugee

Quote:
At Money, Brewer would be much closer to the ball so his speed wouldn't be exposed so much. He'd be asked to cover tight ends and running backs as opposed to receivers.
Maybe speed is not the only thing with coverage but I would not think that one could necessarily expect RBs to have less speed than the WR. The two Freshmen at GA apparently have world class speed and R. Neal is the fastest player on our team. Seems like Vols have been vulnerable to the short to medium passess across the middle. Just putting this out ther.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #9653 (permalink)
Moooooon River...

Quote:
JMO, but I think he's perfect for the Money position. That is a dimeback/hybrid S/LB who lines up at LB in the nickel. Sapp and Brewer have both played Money for us this season.

Against Akron, Brewer started at FS and Sapp was at LB/Money. When Brewer started getting exposed, they moved Waggner back to FS and Brewer to LB/Money.

Same thing against UGA, except this time it was McNeil replacing Brewer at FS and Brewer replacing Lathers at LB/Money.

I'd expect McNeil to get the start at FS, but for Brewer to come in at LB/Money in the nickel against MSU.
Flashbacks of "Swingers" in your post...

I've honestly never heard of the "Money" position, interesting--really doesn't sound much different than the Star though--is it just another name for it?

SN: I miss the days when all I need to know was strong-side, weak-side, inside.

Now it's Jack, Will, Mike, Sam, Star, Money....sheesh. Sounds like a bad glam-rock band.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #9654 (permalink)
VFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblood79 View Post
Flashbacks of "Swingers" in your post...

I've honestly never heard of the "Money" position, interesting--really doesn't sound much different than the Star though--is it just another name for it?

SN: I miss the days when all I need to know was strong-side, weak-side, inside.

Now it's Jack, Will, Mike, Sam, Star, Money....sheesh. Sounds like a bad glam-rock band.
It's just Saban's terminology for the dimeback. The Money position is the 6th DB. Star is the nickelback, the 5th DB. That is where Eric Gordon plays.

The Money will come in for the Will linebacker (Lathers) when we go to the nickel. He lines up in the same spot of the WLB. Sapp and Brewer have both played this position. The Money usually should be a safety/linebacker type player who could cover a TE, but is big enough to help in the run game.

Here is a video of Saban talking about it. Nick Saban on Bill Belichick’s Hybrid/Subpackage Defenders: “Star” and “Money” | Smart Football
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #9655 (permalink)
Conservative & Proud

Quote:
LSU-A&M and Florida-South Carolina are the other games we are competing with for the 3 time slots. As long as we win vs MSU, I can't see it being a noon game.

Hopefully it will be LSU-A&M at noon, UF-USCe at 3:30, and UT-Bama at 7-7:45 on ESPN.
LSU and aTm could both lose this weekend. If that happens, we might get the night slot regardless of the outcome with Miss St. However, I do think a Win Saturday guarantees us a Primetime slot.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #9656 (permalink)
Quiz'N'Vol

I think we need to win this weekend and SC to win.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #9657 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
I think we need to win this weekend and SC to win.
Or win and La tech beat AM
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #9658 (permalink)
not in Arizona anymore

Random thought: Florida has the best resume in the country and should be ranked #1.
VN Likes: 3
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #9659 (permalink)
V,B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post
Random thought: Florida has the best resume in the country and should be ranked #1.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they still have to play UGA and USCe.

If they come out of the East undefeated, there is a legit argument to be a top 3 team, no doubt.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #9660 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post
absolutely, and it isn't even close.

I wish rankings were based on resume rather than preseason expectations.

Also, the BCS computers have UF ranked #1, which bumps them up to #5 in the BCS rankings (if they were released this week)
Closed Thread