3354 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on '14 TN RB Jalen Hurd (UT commit 3/14/13) Page 53. within the forum Tennessee Vols Recruiting. Originally Posted by jspvol76 He will be a top 10 recruit in the country next year, would be a huge ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Recruiting

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #781 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Phat-Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,605
Likes: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspvol76 View Post
He will be a top 10 recruit in the country next year, would be a huge get for next year's class.
I'm not sure if he will be a top 10 recruit in the country next year. One reason being that he doesn't have the ideal size for a RB at 6'3", and also because he plays in middle TN (so people will question the level of competition that he plays against) and they take those things into consideration when handing out those 5thstars on rivals. I think he will be almost certainly be in the top 100 but I'm just not sure about the top 10. Either way he will still be one of the top and most highly sought after recruits in the nation. He is a beast of a RB.

Last edited by Phat-Phil; 01-18-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Phat-Phil is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #782 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 173
Likes: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat-Phil View Post
I'm not sure if he will be a top 10 recruit in the country next year. One reason being that he doesn't have the ideal size for a RB at 6'3", and also because he plays in middle TN (so people will question the level of competition that he plays against) and they take those things into consideration when handing out those 5thstars on rivals. I think he will be almost certainly be in the top 100 but I'm just not sure about the top 10. Either way he will still be one of the top and most highly sought after recruits in the nation. He is a beast of a RB.
247 has him as 2nd best rb and 10th best overall player. Things can change though seeing how its very early
VolInDayton is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #783 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Vol74's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
Likes: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat-Phil View Post
I'm not sure if he will be a top 10 recruit in the country next year. One reason being that he doesn't have the ideal size for a RB at 6'3", and also because he plays in middle TN (so people will question the level of competition that he plays against) and they take those things into consideration when handing out those 5thstars on rivals. I think he will be almost certainly be in the top 100 but I'm just not sure about the top 10. Either way he will still be one of the top and most highly sought after recruits in the nation. He is a beast of a RB.
Because Hurd is 6'3 and plays middle TN football, that means that he will not be a top ten prospect?

Beech beat every team they played against this year (5A and 6A), and would have readily beaten anyone in the state - including Maryville. Their strength of schedule is ranked higher (on Maxpreps) than most of the top RB's backs teams in the nation for the 2013 and 2014 class. People kill me pissing on TN football like there's no competition. He broke the season single rushing record (3,357 yards) and all time points scored (296 pts) - not to mention breaking 13 records total. Yet, he is not 5 star material? So, you're implying that 247 Sports is inaccurate in the grading system?

If you're stuck on Rivals, let's see what Rivals has to say about Jalen getting his 5th star on their site. When the new grading systems are released, there will be no doubt that he will be right there.

VolQuest.com - Rivals250 to Watch: Plenty of 5-stars in waiting
Vol74 is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #784 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jave36's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,008
Likes: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol74 View Post
Because Hurd is 6'3 and plays middle TN football, that means that he will not be a top ten prospect?

Beech beat every team they played against this year (5A and 6A), and would have readily beaten anyone in the state - including Maryville. Their strength of schedule is ranked higher (on Maxpreps) than most of the top RB's backs teams in the nation for the 2013 and 2014 class. People kill me pissing on TN football like there's no competition. He broke the season single rushing record (3,357 yards) and all time points scored (296 pts) - not to mention breaking 13 records total. Yet, he is not 5 star material? So, you're implying that 247 Sports is inaccurate in the grading system?

If you're stuck on Rivals, let's see what Rivals has to say about Jalen getting his 5th star on their site. When the new grading systems are released, there will be no doubt that he will be right there.

VolQuest.com - Rivals250 to Watch: Plenty of 5-stars in waiting
This guy seems like Derrick Henry, any of you talent evaluators feel differently? Both tall, big RBs who broke single season rushing records.
jave36 is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #785 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Likes: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jave36 View Post
This guy seems like Derrick Henry, any of you talent evaluators feel differently? Both tall, big RBs who broke single season rushing records.
Henry is far more physically developed but I think he grows out of the RB position quickly. Hurd runs with a weird body lean that makes you think he will get a lot of hard licks but in the games I saw him nobody ever gets a good shot. He is too upright at this point but maybe that can be corrected. He is so explosive you take him in a heartbeat and figure out how to use him later.
wtorange is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #786 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
VFL23's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 932
Likes: 934
I know another 6'3" running back that was pretty good...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
VFL23 is offline  
VN Likes: 1
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #787 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Vol74's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
Likes: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jave36 View Post
This guy seems like Derrick Henry, any of you talent evaluators feel differently? Both tall, big RBs who broke single season rushing records.
Not a talent evaluator, I am jut going by the facts. The evaluators at 247 sports have Hurd as the #2 RB in the class of 2014 and #10 overall.

Obviously, there are a lot of similarities between the 2 backs. They're both tall and fast, yet Hurd lacks size right now and Henry struggles with lateral movement.
Vol74 is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #788 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AllVol11717's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 1,537
Likes: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jave36 View Post
This guy seems like Derrick Henry, any of you talent evaluators feel differently? Both tall, big RBs who broke single season rushing records.
Similar size, two very different styles of running IMO. Hurd is fast and lightning quick but can lay an opposing linebacker on his ass if he has to. While Henry is athletic, I just don't see him on the same level quickness wise as Jalen, while maybe being being a bit more physical.

Overall I would take Hurd over Henry based off of the fact Hurd has a fluidity to his running. Regardless of size, he looks natural when taking a handoff and running and has only one problem in keeping his pad level a little high.
AllVol11717 is offline  
TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #789 (permalink)
5.7 3* poster
 
volssam's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Posts: 5,831
Likes: 6,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL23 View Post
I know another 6'3" running back that was pretty good...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bill Duff quietly chuckles.
volssam is online now  
VN Likes: 3
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #790 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Phat-Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,605
Likes: 1,735
..

Last edited by Phat-Phil; 01-19-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Phat-Phil is offline  
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #791 (permalink)
tim
Volsquatch
 
tim's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,070
Likes: 4,270
Saw JH last night in street clothes. It was surprising how thin he looks. He's built like a wr, but he runs with excellent power.
tim is online now  
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #792 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RockyTop85's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,805
Likes: 1,172
Riggs was only #12 in the country, I doubt too many from TN get ranked higher than that.
RockyTop85 is online now  
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #793 (permalink)
tim
Volsquatch
 
tim's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,070
Likes: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop85 View Post
Riggs was only #12 in the country, I doubt too many from TN get ranked higher than that.
Riggs was a good prospect, but JH has accomplished more against stiffer competition.
tim is online now  
VN Likes: 1
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #794 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RockyTop85's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,805
Likes: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Riggs was a good prospect, but JH has accomplished more against stiffer competition.
Accomplished more, yes. Stiffer competition? Not hardly.
RockyTop85 is online now  
TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #795 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SD189's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Likes: 103
Riggs' 2000 Red Bank team would waste Beech IMO
SD189 is offline  
TOP
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27