Why No O-Linemen Recruited Yet?????????

Cherokee Orange

Always Just Jonzin'
With the obvious issues we have in our running game, why haven't Chaney and Hiestand made it a priority to gain early committments from some of the top notch O-Linemen across the country? We also need a blue chip running back recruit in my opinion.

I'm not down on Dooley, like many on this site. But, I do feel he needs to re-evaluate Chaney and Hiestand at the end of the year and Hiestand probably needs to go. Our running game has gotten worse this year, with the exception of a minimal improvement in pass blocking.

Thoughts?

What about that big guy with the last name of Diamond? Did he fall off the board?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

With the obvious issues we have in our running game, why haven't Chaney and Hiestand made it a priority to gain early committments from some of the top notch O-Linemen across the country? We also need a blue chip running back recruit in my opinion.

I'm not down on Dooley, like many on this site. But, I do feel he needs to re-evaluate Chaney and Hiestand at the end of the year and Hiestand probably needs to go. Our running game has gotten worse this year, with the exception of a minimal improvement in pass blocking.

Thoughts?

I think it's not as much an issue of lack of talent as it is with lack of experience. I think we actually recruited a number of talented O-linemen last year and 2010 (Posey, Kerbyson, Pair, Crowder, Richardson). But they lack experience as does our current group of O-linemen. I actually think that we are experiencing a bit of the Sophomore slump with our O-linemen this year and that they are thinking to much instead of just hitting someone. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 people
I suggest everyone read the comments by this user "country_orange" who really shared some insight on our O-line / coach and why we are having issues this year. This is a guy who says he was a former player and currently plays in the NFL.

To sum it up: It's not our O-line coach nor the suggestion our O-line has no talent. We'll be much better run blockers next year, this year we have fed our current O-line that they should be better pass protectors then run blockers. It's also our scheme we are using. We use a more finesse scheme like the Colts run. Also, if we can get Tiny on the field he should create some roads for RB's. He just suggests he hasn't seen the field because he's not so great at pass blocking.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4450760

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...went-down-hiestand-presser-3.html#post5646407

Last edited:
Also, we signed 9 OL the last 2 years. Obviously this has been the focus of Dooley's and staff once he took UT over. He'll probably get another good one in Jelks this year. He's got the talent and the depth we just got to get the right schemes taught to them and get them leaner. They seem to big and slow to run block currently.

At some point you have to focus on other positions for UT other then OL. He's doing that last year and this recruiting class building some good depth/talent for the defense. You only got so many you can sign each year.

We have all our future studs already here. They just haven't found their way to the field yet.:rolleyes:

Maybe they see how lineman are coached at UT and are not interested. Just sayin

Couldn't be more wrong. We have nailed OL recruiting the past two years, the #1 tackle in the country had us and florida in his final 2, and we are still going to take a pretty good lineman this year. It's more a matter of where our priorities are in recruiting this year. I won't repeat what everyone ahead of me has said, but they are pretty observant.

Thanks phowell23. Based on the comments of Country Orange, we'll be in a much better position to be successful next year and we may need to recruit a different type of athlete to play offensive guard in our current scheme. Just sucks to wait another year, especially when you live in Dawg Country as I do.

I suggest everyone read the comments by this user "orange_country" who really shared some insight on our O-line / coach and why we are having issues this year. This is a guy who says he was a former player and currently plays in the NFL.

To sum it up: It's not our O-line coach nor the suggestion our O-line has no talent. We'll be much better run blockers next year, this year we have fed our current O-line that they should be better pass protectors then run blockers. It's also our scheme we are using. We use a more finesse scheme like the Colts run. Also, if we can get Tiny on the field he should create some roads for RB's. He just suggests he hasn't seen the field because he's not so great at pass blocking.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4450760

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...went-down-hiestand-presser-3.html#post5646407

The posts from *ahem* "Country_Orange" should be required reading for anyone with questions about the OL...or Big Orange Football in general.

LynxVol, always at least one smart Arse on here. At least the other posters understood I wasn't in the know and that's why I asked for other posters insight and thoughts.

LynxVol, always at least one smart Arse on here. At least the other posters understood I wasn't in the know and that's why I asked for other posters insight and thoughts.

First, our questions with the OL can't entirely be answered with recruiting. It's coaching, personnel, etc. Second, why don't you read some of the OL player threads. The answer is in those.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Lynx said what he said because threads like this one are started almost every day in the recruiting forum by guys who don't follow closely. Use the search feature or read through some of the threads here on page 1 of the recruiting forum and you'll likely find all the answers you seek.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah Chaney should be re-evaluated.. Our offense was abysmal before Hunter and Bray got hurt. Wow. Anybody who thinks firing ANYONE on this coaching staff needs their head checked out. It's probably the S & C coach's fault Hunter's ACL tore, too.

I'm on page 1 of the recruiting forum right now. Thanks to everyone....I have gained much knowledge today and it looks like TN is doing well in recruiting and will continue to close a strong class.

Thanks phowell23. Based on the comments of Country Orange, we'll be in a much better position to be successful next year and we may need to recruit a different type of athlete to play offensive guard in our current scheme. Just sucks to wait another year, especially when you live in Dawg Country as I do.

I work in Dalton. This is not totally Dawg country. For being 45 miles into Georgia, there's still a LOT of Orange around here. Just look around a bit.... :eek:k:

I'm on page 1 of the recruiting forum right now. Thanks to everyone....I have gained much knowledge today and it looks like TN is doing well in recruiting and will continue to close a strong class.

I'm excited personally about the quality of the linemen we have. I'm just not quite ready to fire anyone yet. JMO.

thank you for your insight.i was involved with the track team in the late 60's;and,i know from seeing how hard these guys work that they give their all for tennessee.i would love to see any of these whiners to go through two days of winter conditioning.they would then realize how incredibly hard it is.ihave always and will always bleed orange from my soul and willnever criticize a player or coach.frustrated,yes.hateful never!go vols.

Reactions: 1 person
we are not recruiting any elite RB's either. No new RB and do not get more talent on the OL. What will our run game look like next year?

VN Store

Back