'12 IL DT Tommy Schutt (Ohio St commit)

windycityvol

Tommy Schutt - Yahoo! Sports

6'3" 300 lbs
Glenbard West HS
Glen Ellyn, IL

Offers from BC, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern and Toledo.

This kid is a monster. This kid is gonna be strong as can be when he gets into a college weight program and he plays downright nasty. The people at Glenbard West know Harry Hiestand very well and have a lot of respect for him. I'd love to get in on this kid.

That they do, whole state of Illinois has been really deep when it comes to talent in the trenches the past two years, and next year is shaping up no differently. I think a solid recruiting formula for the national powers is to get your speed from the south, your quarterback from the west and your uglies from the midwest. Seems to be how it generally breaks down more often than not.

"I am hoping to visit Tennessee sometime next month or early this summer," Schutt said. "I know that they play in the SEC which is an outstanding and very competitive conference.

-247sports

Now has offers from UT and Florida.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Kid has a stout offer list. Would like to see a UT offer in there somewhere.

:whistling:I think he can go wherever he wants because of who his grandparents are and their connection to football.

#12 DT on ESPN:

Don't know if Schutt has anything to do with the making of helmets, but we do know he is a kid that will battle and make opposing offensive linemen work. He moves around the defensive line in high school, but he is an interior player in college. Overall he has good size. He displays a good get-off at times flashing some solid quickness and at others times he can be a beat late off the ball. He is a not a kid that will get a lot of quick penetration, but can be a physical and stout run defender. He does a good job of being able to come out of his stance with good pad level. He is able to generate some power from his lower body and will shoot his hands and create some separation. He displays the ability to be able to take on a block and hold his ground. He can play half-a-man and get himself into the gap and work along the line of scrimmage. He hustles around and gives effort to get to the ball, but is at his most productive between the tackles. He is a good wrap-up tackler. He is kid who seems at his best defending the run and can be a tough gap control type player. As a pass rusher he will try and work to the shoulder and sink in a rip and battle his way to the quarterback. He looks to be a kid who will battle and give effort to the try and get the quarterback, but will likely be his most productive against the run. Schutt comes across on film as a kid who likes to play the game and is going to give what he has to get the job done. He is not an overly flashy dominating type player, but the kid has good size and plays the game well and displays the ability to be a steady and productive defensive tackle at the college level.

ND is full now. DT wasn't a priority this class for them. They took Day because he was ready to commit. As for Schutt, I guess if you snooze you loose. He was ready to commit to them them yesterday before he got the message that there was no need in visiting. Now Mich is a different story. If they told him no to visit. They have to feel good about Pipkins or O'Brien. I don't think either are ready to commit, but the BBQ may have done it for Pipkins and his Father. Wormley committed at the BBQ, but Pipkins didn't. Pipkins and Schutt are both 1-techs and O'Brien is a 3. I'd say if Schutt was turned down by UM and not visiting now, it's got to be Pipkins. But, he seemed like he wanted to see what all the other schools have to offer, maybe I'm wrong here. Michigan definitely has another DT on the hook that's for sure and it's Pipkins or O'Brien. Word should be out soon.

Sounds like it's O'B or nothing here.......

Last edited:
Schutt's interest grew in PSU and Wisc---ND took Day, UM may be on the verge of signing Sh*ttu.

ND Mich Wisconsin and PSU were all looking good for Schutt. He waited to late for ND, which is were he wanted to go, and they took Day. Someone that has the versatility to play 3 tech and was ready to commit. Some coaches offer and give recruits a time frame to commit or not. If the date passes the offer is pulled. Plan and simple. PSU and Wisc will fight over him probably now. His coaches will probably push him to a Big Ten school.

I swear all those ESPN recruiting analyses are the same. Like they made 10 generic ones and just pick one to use on a prospect.

Hear from a Michigan insider that grades are an issue with this guy.

VN Store

Back