Oversigning

MikeHamiltonFan

Should Marcel Dareus and Mark Ingram Really be at Alabama? Oversigning.com

Have you guys read about how much Saban oversigned?

Has there been any discussion on the board that if UNC gets major penalties (very possible, maybe probable) that resulted in USC like transfer rules that TN would be in a great position to take advantage.

Unlike in other situations, transfers from a school on probation from the NCAA would not count towards our 28 conference limit, they would count instead against the class from the year they enrolled.

TN could really help its depth even after the best studs like Marvin Austin go to the NFL if we took 4 teammates from UNC who are juniors.

Not many silver linings to the very dark cloud of being down 15 scholarships, but that could be one. Unlike with the kids from Southern California, UNC is not too far away for them to at least visit and see if they like what they see.

not a bad thought. we will be fighting with alot of ACC teams but i think we should declare war on their roster if they do get in trouble like USC. :rock:

If it happens I think we should try everything we can to get some of thier defensive players

For a school that has the NCAA camped at their doors looking at 3 major progams, had better just be thinking about that right now.

I think the oversigning issue needs to be brought out to recruits. When CDD is sitting in the living rooms of some kids being recruited by Bama he should let them know,

"hey, do what is best for you...but here is the situation at Bama and realize you aren't guaranteed a scholarship, or even one for 4 years if you sign there. I can guarantee a 4 year scholarship at UT right now".

It isn't negative recruiting, it is just making sure they are informed.

He's working the system and he'll continue too. Gives him more guys to look at in spring so he can keep them or cut them. He's been running that thing like a NFL training camp since day one. Immoral maybe, but he wins games doing it.

I think the oversigning issue needs to be brought out to recruits. When CDD is sitting in the living rooms of some kids being recruited by Bama he should let them know,

"hey, do what is best for you...but here is the situation at Bama and realize you aren't guaranteed a scholarship, or even one for 4 years if you sign there. I can guarantee a 4 year scholarship at UT right now".

It isn't negative recruiting, it is just making sure they are informed.

May work, but if a 17 year old has Saban in his living room or DD, who do you think he will listen to? DD will have trouble getting these top recruits against Saban or Meyer and now Auburn has a style of football that appeals to many recruits.

He's working the system and he'll continue too. Gives him more guys to look at in spring so he can keep them or cut them. He's been running that thing like a NFL training camp since day one. Immoral maybe, but he wins games doing it.

He did it at LSU too.

what makes it immoral? why isnt TN doing this or will they with this incoming class?

what makes it immoral? why isnt TN doing this or will they with this incoming class?

It involves taking kids who are physically able to play football and making them stop playing football using a medical scholarship by pretending their injuries are more serious than they are.

For instance, next year if we have an offensive linemen who is able to keep a defender in front of him, you tell Dallas Thomas that his back must be hurting too much to keep playing and he has to take a medical scholarship. He will get free school and a college degree but he cannot play anymore.

We oversigned last class.

Remember, we could only get 2 of Martaze, Brown, Loften, and Dixon in school in the fall if they woulda qualified and this was even after Clark didn't make it in.

We technically oversigned by 3 last year.

It involves taking kids who are physically able to play football and making them stop playing football using a medical scholarship by pretending their injuries are more serious than they are.

For instance, next year if we have an offensive linemen who is able to keep a defender in front of him, you tell Dallas Thomas that his back must be hurting too much to keep playing and he has to take a medical scholarship. He will get free school and a college degree but he cannot play anymore.

Actually oversigning dot com has more to do with academic issues of signing more than you might be able to get in. In the end it does not really matter because as long as no rules are broken who cares unless you are a fan upset your team does not do it and use it as a reason for whining.

See what some do not realize is the creator of that sight is a diehard Ohio State fan who happens to live in Birmingham AL. He also is a hardcore regular that post on the OSU boards. He is constantly slamming every team in the south and epecially in the SEC. He says that the Big-10 is superior in talent, teams, and coaching and the players or anyone that goes to an SEC school does so because they could not qualify anywhere else. He has stated in the past that you can get a better education at a JUCO rather than any school in the SEC.

But go ahead and support him and enjoy his conspiracy theory of why the SEC is so dominant. That site is just a soapbox for himto preach his dislike for the SEC. BTW his wife is a UA alum.

Tidewarrior,
I just thought it was interesting to read.

I admire doing everything you can to gain a competitive advantage without breaking the rules, and I never accused Saban of breaking the rules.

I do think that the 28 rule hurts us a ton because of how many scholarships we are down. We are getting crushed by a lack of depth that is similar to Alabama post probation. Hopefully we can climb back in the same way that Saban did. Dooley definitely admires him a lot and works in a similar way to the man whose obsessive detail oriented winning machine is so effective for you.

The current abuse of medical scholarships at Alabama (covered not just by a blog but also as the link shows by the WSJ) is a bit unethical but confers NOTHING like the competitive advantage conferred to Nebraska in their heyday by the in state non athletic scholarship they gave to 20 or more football players every year.

Tidewarrior,
I just thought it was interesting to read.

I admire doing everything you can to gain a competitive advantage without breaking the rules, and I never accused Saban of breaking the rules.

I do think that the 28 rule hurts us a ton because of how many scholarships we are down. We are getting crushed by a lack of depth that is similar to Alabama post probation. Hopefully we can climb back in the same way that Saban did. Dooley definitely admires him a lot and works in a similar way to the man whose obsessive detail oriented winning machine is so effective for you.

The current abuse of medical scholarships at Alabama (covered not just by a blog but also as the link shows by the WSJ) is a bit unethical but confers NOTHING like the competitive advantage conferred to Nebraska in their heyday by the in state non athletic scholarship they gave to 20 or more football players every year.

I agree in part but the thing is if the NCAA does change anything it will be just up max schollys to 100 and keep 25 per year rule.

In regards to CDD and any coach in the SEC I believe they all will do what they need to as to be competitive in the SEC and within the rules. The problem with OSU fans are the school(OSU) does not allow CJT to oversign. So who to say he would not if he could.

VN Store

Back