Running Back
Murfreesboro, TN
Blackman High School
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 195
40: 4.44
Shuttle: 4.3
Vertical Jump: 36"

Shows Vanderbilt and Middle Tennessee as college choices right now but should receive more interest soon from other schools. Hearing Notre Dame, Tennessee, Duke, Mississippi, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina have shown interest.

Had the 4th highest SPARQ rating of over 600 prospects from all over the south at the Mobile NIKE Combine in February, 2010. One of only 3 underclassemen and 25 prospects to make the All NIKE Combine team.

According to NIKE Mobile combine:
Mathers rushed for 631 yards and 6 TDs as a sophomore while sharing the backfield. He clocked a 4.62 40 and 4.15 shuttle to post a 96.24 SPARQ Rating.He combines a nice combination of straight line speed and lateral quickness.The all-around back led his team to their first district title and a 10-2season in Class 6A. Next year he should post better numbers as the feature back.

Against Tullahoma this past Friday night:
279 yards on 14 carries. 90 yard kickoff return for a touchdown and another 51 yard kickoff return. 410 all purpose yards.

Last edited:
I'll wait to see what he does against the solid competition he faces from the Murfreesboro area this year.

Tonight against Lincoln County, Mathers had 271 yards rushing on 11 carries and 3 touchdowns. He now has 681 all purpose yards and 7 total touchdowns in 2 games.

You think a 4.5 40 is slow?

It depends on how legit that 4.5 is. 4.5 is by no means slow. We are used to what I would judge to be inflated 40 times.

Kid be doin' work. What's the over/under on him getting 300 all purpose yards next week?

It depends on how legit that 4.5 is. 4.5 is by no means slow. We are used to what I would judge to be inflated 40 times.

Kid be doin' work. What's the over/under on him getting 300 all purpose yards next week?

Think they play Smyrna. If so, way under.

I only took his 40 time off of combine results. I have seen 3 different times on him 4.5, 4.62, and 4.49 but I have watched this kid play and he is very fast. I would be surprised if he gets 300 all purpose yards against Smyrna. They are the #1 team in the state with a much better defense than he has seen so far. Also, I would be surprised if anyone will kick to him anymore this year. Lincoln county refused to kick anything to him and would not expect many if any teams to the rest of the year. Tullahoma did kick to him and got burned.

I saw this kid scrimmage Gallatin. We had a couple kids that caught up to him in the open field, but he definitely has speed. He looked better than Bryson (who we scrimmaged the week prior)

I saw this kid scrimmage Gallatin. We had a couple kids that caught up to him in the open field, but he definitely has speed. He looked better than Bryson (who we scrimmaged the week prior)

Saw Blackman vs Smyrna tonight. Itavius Mathers is not the player Jeremiah Bryson is. Not by a long shot.

Saw Blackman vs Smyrna tonight. Itavius Mathers is not the player Jeremiah Bryson is. Not by a long shot.

Mathers had 74 yards on 20 carries. He had 72 yards on 16 carries in the 1st half but only ran the ball 4 times for 2 yards in the 2nd half as Blackman was behind and passing the ball more. Smyrna has a very good defense and was a better team than Blackman. Smyrna's line play was better than Blackmans and was the difference in the game. I would take Mathers over Bryson any day. By the way, Bryson only had 58 yards rushing.

stats are misleading. Bryson lined up as a slot back for most of the night. I also said player not running back. Punt returns,receptions,interceptions,defense the whole thing. I do understand Mathers doesn't play both sides of the ball and I do think he is a good back but Bryson had two or three plays last night that blew me away. I thought Mathers was to straight up and doesn't have the same kind of moves Bryson does. But i'm no expert they will both be good college players. I'm very excited about both of them for the rest of the year.

I was sitting around alot of blackman fans and former players and they all said that they thought bryson was a better back. I think Mathers may be stronger but Bryson is more electric and hits the holes much quicker.

stats are misleading. Bryson lined up as a slot back for most of the night. I also said player not running back. Punt returns,receptions,interceptions,defense the whole thing. I do understand Mathers doesn't play both sides of the ball and I do think he is a good back but Bryson had two or three plays last night that blew me away. I thought Mathers was to straight up and doesn't have the same kind of moves Bryson does. But i'm no expert they will both be good college players. I'm very excited about both of them for the rest of the year.
Bryson is a great player, no doubt. He played a great game last night but he was also on the better team. Mathers doesn't play defense I assume because they want to keep him rested for offense but I have seen him play defense before and he is also very good on defense. I would say Bryson is quicker but Mathers is faster and stronger but they are both great backs. Mathers is also very good on punt and kick returns.

VN Store

Back