Is a 7-6 season a sucess?

is a 7-6 season a sucess

• Total voters

Urinal Mint

40oz To Freedom
Were Tennessee to lose the bowl game to Virginia Tech, would a 7-6 season still be considered a sucess? I'll hang up and listen...

Well with what Kiffin and these coaches had to work with i would say yes. This team did finish 5-7 last year and lost to wyoming at home. All the walk ons on offence line. And down to their 3 middle line backer and who knows what else not too bad. Plus this team stayed in all the games this year except the Ole Miss game. Came with a blocked field goal (twice) of beating Alabama in alabama

To answer this question, you have to keep in mind where we were coming from after last year, not the scope of history or where we want to be:

1. The depth is razor thin.
2. The talent level is down due to prospects not panning out, transfers, kicked off, etc.
3. Recruiting class of 2009 and 2010 is a part of the evaluation.
4. The progress of the team through the season.
5. The "quality" of the losses.
6. You can add whatever else, but these are some of my thoughts.

In my opinion, the losses to UCLA and Auburn are two of the worst because we could have had those games. Florida and Alabama were closer than most people thought. Georgia was a nice win but they have been down recently. South Carolina is always down despite their own hype. I'd rather not talk about Ole Miss. Kentucky thought it was a BCS game at their house and we still pulled it off.

Kiffin closed the last recruiting class fantastically and if we are to believe what our friends on here say, the reason we are losing recruits now is because they are being recruited over. So, it appears this class will be even better than the last.

With all of that being said, with a loss to a good VT team, this would still be a successful season, not by Tennessee standards, but within the realm of reasonable expectations for this season, considering the starting place.

What Gannon Said

Is 7-6 a success? This year, yes. Next year, I'm not sure yet. In 2 years, definitely no.

I think you have to throw the record out the window when thinking back on this season. I know i saw some things i liked, especially in the way they prepared, halftime adjustments, in game adjustments. The play of Crompton was surprising and the fact we didn't have a anemic offense. I think the first few games were rough, it was a feeling out process. Once they got it down they played pretty well, Ole Miss hiccup aside. 7-6 isn't what we want, but this year i just wouldn't be too upset about it.

Now we need to go out next week and get that Dome monkey off our backs.

I think you have to throw the record out the window when thinking back on this season. I know i saw some things i liked, especially in the way they prepared, halftime adjustments, in game adjustments. The play of Crompton was surprising and the fact we didn't have a anemic offense. I think the first few games were rough, it was a feeling out process. Once they got it down they played pretty well, Ole Miss hiccup aside. 7-6 isn't what we want, but this year i just wouldn't be too upset about it.

Now we need to go out next week and get that Dome monkey off our backs.

You took my answer. Well said.

Anyone rational will say yes, given the context.

And the "This is Tennessee" crap is about 10 years out of style, in case some haven't noticed. No reason to be delusional, even though we obviously want to get back to the top ASAP.

I would be in my book. i look for us to be in the cotton bowl or the sugar bowl next year.

Urinal - 7 wins and 6 losses would be identical to Alabama in Saban's first year 2007. Last I checked that seemed to be working out pretty well for those guys. I believe Urban Cryers first year was similar.

So I am going to call it a huge success. Plus our 5 losses were to bowl teams, including 2 BCS teams away from home. The team improved as the season progressed, two back to back top 10 recruiting classes, good play calling, plays arrive from the sideline on time, very few penalties, yes this is more than acceptable progress even if we end up 7-6.

By TENNESSEE standards its not a success .But after last year setting a home and watching other teams in bowl games it is .

VN Store

Back