our special shade of orange...what?

krankwave

local
With all this color talk and screaming about tradition could somebody please explain why our tradition is apparently based on our "special" shade of orange that we can't even seem to match between our helmets and unis? Which shade is the "special" one? I know this may sound silly but after hearing all the traditionalist talk about no black ( which we apparently played in before we played in white ) i would just like to know the deal with the orange discrepancy. If there is truly one special shade of orange then why does the university market any other shade? If it is the jersey orange then why do we see so much more of the more bold orange similar to the helmets? Why doesn't anybody cry foul on any other shade of orange that isn't the "special" one? I understand tradition and the big orange truly is one but how can you rail against the black background color when the primary color looks like it is in limbo every saturday at home? i'm just sayin.

We might want to keep that particular detail on the hush. Could really come back and bite us from trolls if we were to ever complain about anything again.

Those same trolls probably use colors found in the Pantone Matching System. I don't think it will be a problem.

The color itself (i.e. Pantone 151) does not change from manufacturer to manufacturer; e.g. between Adidas and Nike. The color discrepancy can be attributed to three factors:

1. Dye lots for fabric are notoriously different from run to run of fabric. The dye is rarely exactly the same, even for fabric manufactured for a single garment company. This is a common and persistent problem in the garment industry.

2. Different fabric textures reflect light differently, and thus can effect how we perceive certain colors, especially between shades of the same color.

3. UT fans, in particular, are very sensitive to perceived changes in our peculiar shade of orange. Other schools with orange in their colors are not nearly so sensitive to it as us, nor can they see it so clearly as the differences in shade are broken up by blue, black, and maroon (blech), for example.

And yes, I know I sound gay as heck, but my wife is in the fashion industry, so I hear about this stuff all the time. Sooo...

NO HOMO. :D

I get what the OP is saying. I can understand why I go to WalMart and see 4 different shades of orange shirts. But I can't understand why the official team allows the orange on the helmet to be a different shade than the jersey. It seems like the helmet stickers are the right shade, although I wish the shade of the jersey was accepted as the real orange, I like that shade much more.

The color itself (i.e. Pantone 151) does not change from ............
And yes, I know I sound gay as heck, but my wife is in the fashion industry, so I hear about this stuff all the time. Sooo...

NO HOMO. :D

paranoid much? LoL, just joking

I believe I heard that our color orange (PMS 151) can only be used by the university or by a product endorsed by the university. This explains why Wal-Mart would have 4 different colors, becuase companies make UT shirts without getting the NCAA or UT go ahead, hence the change in color. One thing is for sure, its a the best damn orange out there.

Which shade is the "special" one?

I've read that our special shade of orange was picked to match the common american daisy flowers which at one time grew on the hill. But the flowers look a little deeper orange than our special shade to me.

217454338_24b90d9783.jpg

I've heard that too volmania... does anybody have any pictures of players from the 70's... the color looks different in those old photos... did it change at some point?

VN Store

Back