Slive’s reprimand to Kiffin now public

Tidal Surge

October 30th, 2009 5:20 pm
Posted By: MrSEC.com

This letter of reprimand from SEC Commissioner Mike Slive to Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin was obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request by Jimmy Hyams, sports radio host in Knoxville.

Dear Coach Kiffin:

This is with regard to your post-game statements concerning the officiating in the Tennessee at Alabama football game played in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on October 24th, 2009.

The actions and statements constitute public criticism of officials, contrary to the provisions of Bylaw 10.5.4 of the Southeastern Conference Manual, which reads, “coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from all public criticism of officials.” It is your responsibility as a coach to comply with the policies of the Southeastern Conference and to know the football playing rules.

As a result of your comments, I’m sending you this letter of reprimand. This reprimand will be made public.

Since it is clear from your public comments that you believe this letter “mean(s) nothing”, let me be equally as clear to you. The next time you, or a member of your staff, make public comments of this nature, you will be suspended from all coaching duties for one or more games, and the institution may be subjected to a substantial fine. I also remind you that this is your second public reprimand in your brief tenure as Tennessee’s Head Football Coach and on both occasions you were wrong about the applicable rules.

Sincerely,

Michael Slive

i actually think kiffin knew full well what the consequences of his actions were, he just didn't/doesn't care. oh by the way, who writes the "letters of reprimand" to our commisioner for not addressing whats obviously a widespread problem with SEC officiating? who signs his report card? Kiffin isn't the only one who's questioned it, and won't be the last this season-despite threats of suspension and "substantial" fines.

October 30th, 2009 5:20 pm
Posted By: MrSEC.com

This letter of reprimand from SEC Commissioner Mike Slive to Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin was obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request by Jimmy Hyams, sports radio host in Knoxville.

Dear Coach Kiffin:

This is with regard to your post-game statements concerning the officiating in the Tennessee at Alabama football game played in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on October 24th, 2009.

The actions and statements constitute public criticism of officials, contrary to the provisions of Bylaw 10.5.4 of the Southeastern Conference Manual, which reads, “coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from all public criticism of officials.” It is your responsibility as a coach to comply with the policies of the Southeastern Conference and to know the football playing rules.

As a result of your comments, I’m sending you this letter of reprimand. This reprimand will be made public.

Since it is clear from your public comments that you believe this letter “mean(s) nothing”, let me be equally as clear to you. The next time you, or a member of your staff, make public comments of this nature, you will be suspended from all coaching duties for one or more games, and the institution may be subjected to a substantial fine. I also remind you that this is your second public reprimand in your brief tenure as Tennessee’s Head Football Coach and on both occasions you were wrong about the applicable rules.

Sincerely,

Michael Slive
Dear comissioner Slime,
Redundant opening lines in a public reprimand leads the public to conclude you are an ignorant tool and shouldn't be the leader of our great conference. We fully expect to receive your letter of resignation post haste.
Hmanvolfan,
Volmeister extraordinaire

SLIME IS A POS!!! In his eyes the SEC stands for SLIVES ELECTED CHAMPS Gators and bammer

It will be curious to see how Kiffin's and Slive's relationship progresses once UT is pulling in all the dough for the SEC.

Mike (I love only Alabama and Florida) Slime's @$$-holiness factor has just been ramped up by an order of magnitude. What a snotty little twerp he is. He's publicly criticizing the coaches for criticizing the officiating corps he himself had to take action against for gross ineptitude. Is there anything the fan base can do to get him fired, like start a petition? How about a firemikeslive.com web site? I'm in lock, stock, and barrel. I'm sick and tired of this feculent, old, biased hypocrite and his idiotic proclamations from the ivory tower.

mlslive@sec.org

The least we can do is overload the old fart's email inbox with reprimands from the outraged UT fans.

Last edited:
Its actually a poorly crafted gloss of a letter. At the very least he could have pointed in particular to the comments he found out of bounds.

Dear comissioner Slime,
Redundant opening lines in a public reprimand leads the public to conclude you are an ignorant tool and shouldn't be the leader of our great conference. We fully expect to receive your letter of resignation post haste.
Hmanvolfan,
Volmeister extraordinaire

....he may have been clearing up any confusion as to location in Bama. Used to play these games in Birmingham. Sounds like a little legalese to ensure facts don't get messed up later.

Slive is bad at context clues. It is pretty obvious from Kiffin's statement that it was an expected letter from SEC refs which was considered to "mean nothing", not Slive's letter of reprimand. Now, he was wrong about the call so he didn't get a letter from the refs, but it doesn't change his intention with the "means nothing" comment.

Its actually a poorly crafted gloss of a letter. At the very least he could have pointed in particular to the comments he found out of bounds.

Slive was so upset over Kiffin's comments that he had his secretary fill out a canned letter. I wouldn't expect anything less from this weasel of a commish.

Since it is not a penalty to throw your helmet with a live ball on the field, then the whole UT team should take off their helmets after the first UT score on USC tomorrow night and throw them on the ground.

....he may have been clearing up any confusion as to location in Bama. Used to play these games in Birmingham. Sounds like a little legalese to ensure facts don't get messed up later.
Never thought of that... :crazy:

Since it is not a penalty to throw your helmet with a live ball on the field, then the whole UT team should take off their helmets after the first UT score on USC tomorrow night and throw them on the ground.
I like that.... :clap:

Dear Sliveball;
You need to slive out of that crimson bed from where you lie, and realize that you are a boil on the butt of all the other great member institutions of the SEC. Please go straight to he77, do not pass go, and do not collect any more bama money! :)

Where is the reprimand to Mullen and Petrino, their letters should be just as public as CLK's

VN Store

Back