Who Is Our Biggest Rival

VolGirlinMaryvill

I frequently hear fellow Vol fans refer to Bammer as our biggest rival. I get that, with Florida, they one of the two teams we most want to beat. But how can we claim a team as our biggest rival who doesn't claim us as theirs? And no Bammer fan is ever going to clain UT as their biggest rival...that sorry honor goes to Awburn.

So, if Bammer's biggest rival is the team we play this week, and Florida's biggest rival is Georgia...who is our biggest rival?

For fans over 25: Alabama
For fans under 25: Florida
For this team: Florida
For the average UT fan: Every single school in the SEC.

If you fail to recognize alabama as our biggest rival, you should read up on your history.

I frequently hear fellow Vol fans refer to Bammer as our biggest rival. I get that, with Florida, they one of the two teams we most want to beat. But how can we claim a team as our biggest rival who doesn't claim us as theirs? And no Bammer fan is ever going to clain UT as their biggest rival...that sorry honor goes to Awburn.

So, if Bammer's biggest rival is the team we play this week, and Florida's biggest rival is Georgia...who is our biggest rival?
It's a shame, but rivalries change with time. It used to be tradition for the 3rd Saturday in October to be Bama but that rarely if ever happens on the 3rd Saturday anymore. It is also possible to be rivals with more than one team. Florida hates us with a passion and it is evident in their total consumption with everything VOL. Bama just doesn't want to admit we are their rivals because they feel it is beneath them. ie Bear Bryant era. JMO

I'd have to say that's not entirely true. There is a segment of fans that do consider Tennessee our biggest rival, although i'd say they are mostly the older fans. I do not however fall in this category and will definitely NOT be pulling for the barn this weekend. There was a post on TideSports a few weeks/months ago discussing this and there were more that considered UT our biggest rival that i thought there would be.

G.V. (for this week anyway) is about all i can muster up, but you get the point. I will break out the UT stadium cup i got last year to place above the tv to annoy our auburn friend that watches games with us.

We have been in a dogfight every year for a long long time with Bammer

I agree (with the sorry exception of last year). So there's lots of good history with Bammer. But doesn't it seem a bit strange to list a team as our biggest rival who lists us as their 2nd most important game at best?

Sort of like some 2nd-rate nation saying the USA is their biggest rival...while most of us here have never heard of them and have our attention on bigger things.

There are plenty of Bama fans that think of us as their biggest rivals especially with the Lane Train rolling now :p

I agree (with the sorry exception of last year). So there's lots of good history with Bammer. But doesn't it seem a bit strange to list a team as our biggest rival who lists us as their 2nd most important game at best?

as ht17 said above, you'd be surprised at just how many bama fans consider UT as the top rival

My father, mother, and brother who all attended UA will tell you that UT is their biggest rival, fwiw.

Before the split, it was bama.....without question. Now that we have two divisions, it is UF that we have to go through to get to the championship game. So yeah I would say
1. UF, 1a. Bama.

Sort of like some 2nd-rate nation saying the USA is their biggest rival...while most of us here have never heard of them and have our attention on bigger things.
They list us as 2nd at best because we have been 2nd best for a few years.

Before the split, it was bama.....without question. Now that we have two divisions, it is UF that we have to go through to get to the championship game. So yeah I would say
1. UF, 1a. Bama.

that's where you separate biggest rival from most important game

as ht17 said above, you'd be surprised at just how many bama fans consider UT as the top rival

That's surprising. Every Bama fan I've ever met would say that they looked forward to the "3rd Saturday in October," but that their season and success hinged on winning the Iron Bowl against hated Auburn.

Alabama. No question. I remember when they beat us 9 times in a row, or whatever it was. I remember the ridicule.

VN Store

Back