need help with General Neyland's maxims...

Brave Volunteer

#5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

What is he talking about here? What does he mean by "ball" and "oskie?"

Ok "oskie" = interception. Got it!

What about "ball?" I just find this maxim odd because it starts with the word "ball." Is ball a verb in this maxim? What's he talking about?

Ok "oskie" = interception. Got it!

What about "ball?" I just find this maxim odd because it starts with the word "ball." Is ball a verb in this maxim? What's he talking about?

ball is most definitely a verb in my maxims.:)

Players yell "ball, ball, ball" when the ball is in the air letting others know a pass is on it's way for the coveted "oskie"

Ron Burgundy: I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Attachments

• burgandy2.jpg
    burgandy2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 293
I'll say this for those maxims. If you coach high school ball or aspire to coach football, those are words to live by. When I coached at the high school level, the last school I worked for used these maxims. The kids must memorize them and say them as a team before each game. We altered a few words but the same still holds true, football is football.

This same subject was brought up on the radio here in KC yesterday. They also talked about the "PETER" call for when a punt takes a weird hop on the return. I guess I am glad that is not listed in the maxims. Oskie and Peter are both one of those things you learn in youth football through high school football and at the time of when you are playing you just never really think about the orgin.

I think one of my coaches in high school said that its is Eskimo for Interception, but we never took him seriously.

This same subject was brought up on the radio here in KC yesterday. They also talked about the "PETER" call for when a punt takes a weird hop on the return. I guess I am glad that is not listed in the maxims. Oskie and Peter are both one of those things you learn in youth football through high school football and at the time of when you are playing you just never really think about the orgin.

I think one of my coaches in high school said that its is Eskimo for Interception, but we never took him seriously.

Actually, Peter is called for a short punt to let players know to get out of the way before the bounce.

Actually, Peter is called for a short punt to let players know to get out of the way before the bounce.

This was explained to me by Daryl Dickey in a very short sentence several years ago: "Don't play with it."

He meant that the ball is bouncing on the ground and to get away from it before it hits you and turns into a turnover.

General Neyland's Game Maxims

To the best of my memory from several years ago....

1) The team that makes the least mistakes will win.

2) Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way you may score.

3) If at first the game or the breaks go against you, don't
let up. Put on more steam.

4) Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead, and our ball game.

5) Ball, oskie, cover, cut and slice, pursue and gang
tackle, For this is the winning edge.

6) Press the kicking game. This is where the breaks are
made.

7) Carry the fight to the enemy and keep fighting for 60
minutes.

Last edited:
General Neyland's Game Maxims

To the best of my memory from several years ago....

1) The team that makes the least mistakes will win.

2) Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way you may score.

3) If at first the game or the breaks go against you, don't
let up. Put on more steam.

4) Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead, and our ball game.

5) Ball, oskie, cover, cut and slice, pursue and gang
tackle, For this is the winning edge.

6) Press the kicking game. This is where the breaks are
made.

7) Carry the fight to the enemy and keep fighting for 60
minutes.

Pretty close.

Oskie is yelled when you intercept, it's origins are in an old pep yell from Cal,

Oski Wow-Wow!
Whiskey Wee-Wee!
Olee! Muckie-eye!
Olee! Berkeley-eye!
California! Wow!

No freaking idea how it went from a cheer to something you yell after a pick... probably migrated east from Cal...

Ball, as I understand it, was simply to focus on controlling the ball. Don't lose it, and when the other team has it take it away.

• The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
• Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.
• If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.
• Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
• Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.
• Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
• Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes

:huh: Dang guys. What do you yell on the baseball field when a pop fly is hit your way. Maybe it's different in other locales, but I've always yelled, "Ball, ball, ball!" Some teams yell "I got it", "Mine" or whatever. It means there's a ball in the air from one defensive player to another.

"Heads up!" just doesn't sound the same does it?

This was explained to me by Daryl Dickey in a very short sentence several years ago: "Don't play with it."

He meant that the ball is bouncing on the ground and to get away from it before it hits you and turns into a turnover.

:lolabove::eek:lol:

Oskie is an interception. I was taught growin up as it spelled OSGI = Oh Sh** I Got It!

Players yell "ball, ball, ball" when the ball is in the air letting others know a pass is on it's way for the coveted "oskie"

Also yell oskie if you make the pick to let your team know to block for the return.... "ball, ball, ball". "oskie, oskie, oskie"

VN Store

Back