731 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Five burning questions about the SEC East. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. " Is Tennessee REALLY going to throw these rookie running backs into the fire right away? This much we know ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Five burning questions about the SEC East

"Is Tennessee REALLY going to throw these rookie running backs into the fire right away?

This much we know about Tennessee’s first team under Lane Kiffin: All season it is going to be a struggle between getting the team ready to play the next game and preparing for the long haul. That will again be the case when Kiffin and OC Jim Chaney decide how to use the highly-recruited running backs, Bryce Brown and David Oku. How much these guys actually get on the field, I believe, is up to the offensive line. If Tennessee had to play tomorrow, instead of Sept. 5 against Western Kentucky, it’s a pretty good bet the Vols would have five seniors starting up front. This is significant. If this group really jells, then Kiffin and Chaney can be a little bolder. If not, you stick with the proven players in Montario Hardesty and Lennon Creer and you spot play the freshmen. The toughest things for young running backs to learn are how to block (because the game is much faster) and picking up pass protection schemes. You wonder how much a highly-recruited kid like Brown was asked to block in high school."

Five burning questions about the SEC East | Mr. College Football
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just blame the flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDad View Post
"Is Tennessee REALLY going to throw these rookie running backs into the fire right away?

This much we know about Tennessee’s first team under Lane Kiffin: All season it is going to be a struggle between getting the team ready to play the next game and preparing for the long haul. That will again be the case when Kiffin and OC Jim Chaney decide how to use the highly-recruited running backs, Bryce Brown and David Oku. How much these guys actually get on the field, I believe, is up to the offensive line. If Tennessee had to play tomorrow, instead of Sept. 5 against Western Kentucky, it’s a pretty good bet the Vols would have five seniors starting up front. This is significant. If this group really jells, then Kiffin and Chaney can be a little bolder. If not, you stick with the proven players in Montario Hardesty and Lennon Creer and you spot play the freshmen. The toughest things for young running backs to learn are how to block (because the game is much faster) and picking up pass protection schemes. You wonder how much a highly-recruited kid like Brown was asked to block in high school."

He's back??? LOL,Wow, how long has it been since Creer left school?

Aside from that, good find VolDad...And yes Kiffin is going to play the young guys, sometime the youngsters are the best on the field and it not only pays off now but in the long run as well
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

looks like this sportswriter is a little behind...lol
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm the master of my fate

I stopped reading after he mentioned Creer. Do some fact checking. It's not that hard.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Spike Drinks, Not Trees

Just a mental slip on Tony's part, I'm sure. He's one of the best we have, of the old guard at least.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Just blame the flu

Mr. College Football
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
VN conasewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols8701 View Post
looks like this sportswriter is a little behind...lol
you dare question Mr College Football???
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Red Bulls and Wild Boys!

Mr. College Football 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolunteerHillbilly View Post
Just a mental slip on Tony's part, I'm sure. He's one of the best we have, of the old guard at least.
He responded in the comments:

"Thanks for the catch on Lennon Creer. Yes, he left the program. I meant to say Tauren Poole, who had a couple of decent games (9 carries vs. UAB, 11 carries vs.Wyoming) last season."
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kiffin is going to put the 11 young men on the field that gives us the best chance of winning. I firmly believe that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Technical Difficulties

Quote:
He responded in the comments:

"Thanks for the catch on Lennon Creer. Yes, he left the program. I meant to say Tauren Poole, who had a couple of decent games (9 carries vs. UAB, 11 carries vs.Wyoming) last season."
So he meant Poole when he was referring to proven players? Pretty bad either way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Drinking to cope

jells?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
RIP TN FB

Quote:

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
RIP TN FB

Many good examples here of why sometimes good old-fashioned newsprint, with EDITORS, is superior to blogs.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

I really do not believe for a second that this team had no talent last year or this year. I don’t think that they have been coached for several years and that is why there had to be a change at the top. Now will this new group go out and coach? I don’t know, we will have to watch and see.

All I can say is that I am excited about the start of the season for the first time in about 5 years as I now have hope that we won’t lose the ones that we shouldn’t on a consistent basis and might win a few we shouldn’t more than we have over the last several years.
Reply With Quote TOP