Is Slive talking about Tennessee?

KoachKrab127

"There are other secondary violations which are more serious, especially in the area of recruiting," Slive said. "A key aspect of our review of secondaries is to determine if there's a pattern beginning to emerge at an institution, within a sport or around a particular individual, be it coach, administrator or prospect. When trends are detected, the penalties and corrective actions become more severe."

In fact, Slive told reporters he's already doled out some additional penalties to conference schools as a result of secondary violations.

Those measures include stripping an entire coaching staff from making recruiting calls for "an extended period of time" and limiting coaches from all off-campus recruiting activities. Slive also said an institution has been prevented from any recruiting contact with prospects for an extended period of time and teams have also lost practice opportunities.

"The way we had gotten our point across was by doing the kinds of things that I indicated earlier," Slive said. "Those things that I indicated earlier, we have done. Those were not hypotheticals."

Asked for more details on those punishments, Slive simply said, "They've been done."

This is from govolsxtra.com

Is UT the school that got punished? Anyone know?

All I know is Kiffin needs to lay low for a while,we don't need problems while trying to rebuild.

If there was any kind of violation from Tennessee espn would be all over it. Havn't you heard lee corso(espn) hates Tennessee:the_finger:

Didn't UGA have a player go to a Broncos game when Cutler paid for the ticket? I'm thinking maybe that's what this "major secondary violation" is.

But then again, Slive might think that fog machines and saying a player's name on the radio is more serious than an NFL player giving a recruit money.

Didn't UGA have a player go to a Broncos game when Cutler paid for the ticket? I'm thinking maybe that's what this "major secondary violation" is.

But then again, Slive might think that fog machines and saying a player's name on the radio is more serious than an NFL player giving a recruit money.

good point. also posting on twitter/facebook that you're glad to get a commitment could possibly rank up there with the cardinal sins

Slive needs to be careful penalizing teams beyound NCAA punishment. Maybe getting to big for his title. There is a ot of money at stake with this new TV deal and handicapping teams with sanctions for secondary violations, seems like a good way to make us as weaker as a conference. Somebody needs to straighten his necktie for him. Looks like he is bragging a bit, maybe on a little bit of a power trip. He needs to save all his bullets for Kentucky basketball, the Squid and WWW will stack those up like flapjacks at a pancake eating contest!!!!

It sounds like several schools may have been penalized...I'm really wondering if our hands have been tied at all in our recruiting efforts...

Slive's a jackass. Did Roy Kramer ever try to pull crap like this?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Let him try to exceed NCAA requirements. I am sure UTs attorneys know how to deal with his napoleon complex.

This article in, where else, the Athens Banner Herald mentions Tennessee specifically.

Notebook: Slive tired of lax attitudes on secondary violations | Football | OnlineAthens.com

How in the HELL can Slive prove that violations are not accidental? "Kiffin intentionally named Bryce Brown on the radio." I heard that interview, and there is absolutely ZERO evidence that he did that on purpose. It sounded like a slip of the tongue to me...plus...it's just saying a name...is he seriously thinking that's grounds for penalizing a team by taking away practice time?

And the twittr thing, that wasn't even Kiffin. It was one of his graduate assistants that did it. That's obviously just a mistake, not something "intentional."

If Slive seriously takes away some fall practice time for UT because of secondary violations from something as tiny as saying a recruit's name, he needs to be fired RIGHT NOW. That is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously. You cant just make up new punishments and enforce them retroactively without warning. That would be like lowering the speed limit and giving everyone ever clocked at the new limit a ticket. Mike slime is gettin to big for his britches and the ESPN big money bigwigs will be happy to adjust them for him.

Slive needs to be careful penalizing teams beyound NCAA punishment. Maybe getting to big for his title. There is a ot of money at stake with this new TV deal and handicapping teams with sanctions for secondary violations, seems like a good way to make us as weaker as a conference. Somebody needs to straighten his necktie for him. Looks like he is bragging a bit, maybe on a little bit of a power trip. He needs to save all his bullets for Kentucky basketball, the Squid and WWW will stack those up like flapjacks at a pancake eating contest!!!!

I agree, I would think any school would fight this.

Seriously. You cant just make up new punishments and enforce them retroactively without warning. That would be like lowering the speed limit and giving everyone ever clocked at the new limit a ticket. Mike slime is gettin to big for his britches and the ESPN big money bigwigs will be happy to adjust them for him.

Exactly. It's even in the constitution that you can't punish someone for a crime committed in the past that recently became a law. I know NCAA rules and the constitution are not the same thing, but you get my point.

I agree 100%. Who does he think he is trying to exceed what the NCAA has declared punishable. The taking away of practice time is unfair, but limiting a schools ability to contact recruits is CRAZY. You could damage a school for YEARS pulling a stunt like that!

Brilliant move Slive.

Next time my kid talks without raising his hand in class and gets in trouble with the teacher, I'm gonna make him leave his books at home for the week. That'll show him.

The reason Slive is trying to cut down on Secondary Violations is partly because of bad publicity for the conference as a whole. I'm sure he was sick of hearing about UT being talked about in the press about our SV's. I would like to think that Slive has tried to keep all SV's on the downlow and not let them leak to the public. So I bet there is a possibility that the more serious SV's that he's talking about have not been discussed in the media. So to assume he's busting balls because of a fog machine is naive. Also there are schools out there who have had more SV's than us by a long shot in the last few years. With that in mind, he may very well be talking about a few schools in particular, UGA, USCe, Bama. He did point out specifically that he was trying to find a pattern in violations. I don't think CLK has been around long enough to create a pattern of offenses. However Richt, Saban, and Spurrier sure have.

The reason Slive is trying to cut down on Secondary Violations is partly because of bad publicity for the conference as a whole. I'm sure he was sick of hearing about UT being talked about in the press about our SV's. I would like to think that Slive has tried to keep all SV's on the downlow and not let them leak to the public. So I bet there is a possibility that the more serious SV's that he's talking about have not been discussed in the media. So to assume he's busting balls because of a fog machine is naive. Also there are schools out there who have had more SV's than us by a long shot in the last few years. With that in mind, he may very well be talking about a few schools in particular, UGA, USCe, Bama. He did point out specifically that he was trying to find a pattern in violations. I don't think CLK has been around long enough to create a pattern of offenses. However Richt, Saban, and Spurrier sure have.

you make good points, however, it still doesnt explain why slive feels he can enact punishments on programs for past offenses that carried no such punishment at the time. Slive is trying to save face and wear is big boy pants but he's just coming off as having a god complex. If secondary violations are suddenly soooo important then why not petition the NCAA instead of disadvantaging the strongest conference in the country?? Also does he really think setting rules and punishments above and beyond those set by the NCAA is going to fly?

you make good points, however, it still doesnt explain why slive feels he can enact punishments on programs for past offenses that carried no such punishment at the time. Slive is trying to save face and wear is big boy pants but he's just coming off as having a god complex. If secondary violations are suddenly soooo important then why not petition the NCAA instead of disadvantaging the strongest conference in the country?? Also does he really think setting rules and punishments above and beyond those set by the NCAA is going to fly?

Oh I completely agree with you. I hope my post didn't come across as support for what Slive is doing with the conference. However my post was trying to point out that UT may not be one of the institutions he is speaking of for the more severe infractions. I'm sure we are one he watching though.

Maybe Slive will be the one who gets reprimanded by the NCAA. The question is Does he have the authority to go beyond what the NCAA rules are? I Also wonder what the phone conversations between the AD's have sounded like?

Can the conference com. actually tell teams they cant practice? Or they cant call recruits for a certain amount of time? This seems suspicious. Especially when certain ones have hard-ons for certain universiies.

wow, you guys are worse than a sewing circle.
it sounds like he's just trying to put out a flame before it turns into a wildfire. and from the general attitude on VN regarding secondaries ("who cares! no penalty from the NCAA, exposure to recruits and free advertising!"), I would say he's making a good move. Rules are in place for a reason- to be followed, not disregarded. Whether the penalties are too harsh is another question, but it doesn't sound like he's going to bury a program over a half dozen SVs, rather an established trend of a program giving the NCAA the middle finger. I think his idea sounds fairly reasonable.
I think we should hold our coaches and programs to the rules in place and have stricter rules than the NCAA, esp. since they don't seem to do anything over a bunch of SVs. I don't think it will send the SEC back into oblivion because I don't think every program has been cheating like hell to get to where we are today.
But if you all are so concerned about it, why don't you just petition your AD to leave the SEC and go independent? you could cheat like hell and just worry about the slap on the wrist from the NCAA. Hell, in theory that would get you back to the promise land quicker, right?
No? Didn't think so.
You guys are the only SEC boards bitching about this. Take a deep breath, relax, and let this thing play out. Until then, stfu.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back