Interesting article on UT recruiting

FriendlyGator

Gator Fan in Clemson Land
Sorry if this is a dupe. Lane Kiffin has offered 187 kids for the 2010 season. With only room for 28 max schollies now, what happens if more than 28 kids decide to play for UT? I know coaches extend scholarship offers to more than 28 kids each recruiting season, but 187 sounds like a huge amount. Will this hurt recruiting down the road for you guys? What are your opinions?

The Tennessee Vols want You and You and You! | Gridironstuds.com Blog

We basically tell kids that either they can't play here or we tell them that there are only so many spots left and if they don't get on the boat now, they aren't getting on.

Plus a ton of them won't come here anyways.

This is the same approach that Ed O took at Ole Miss and it seemed to work for him there. This is a strategy that these guys have done before when they were trying to rebuild programs. Pure USC strategy and it served Ole Miss and USC well.

It is an interesting approach for sure. These guys know that we have to get our name out there because we have such a small pool of talent in state. They are going hard nationally to get some advertisement. This a tactic that is good not for this year, but it is good for future advertising to the 2011 class and beyond. Once the wheels have been greased for the recruiting machine, you might see that the offer list shrinks in the years to come to be a little "choosier" so to speak.

When you have this many offers on the table, all of the kids will talk to each other and it gives the appearance that Tennessee is anywhere and everywhere. That hype builds on itself making the recruiting more competetive as they communicate with one another. Interesting tactic.

40 of them have already commited elsewhere.

I have no idea what that article said. Once I saw that they spelled his name kiffen, I stopped reading and discredited anything the guy wrote.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have no idea what that article said. Once I saw that they spelled his name kiffen, I stopped reading and discredited anything the guy wrote.

The article was just commenting that we have a lot of offers on the table. Not a controversial article in the least.

This is the same approach that Ed O took at Ole Miss and it seemed to work for him there. This is a strategy that these guys have done before when they were trying to rebuild programs. Pure USC strategy and it served Ole Miss and USC well.

It is an interesting approach for sure. These guys know that we have to get our name out there because we have such a small pool of talent in state. They are going hard nationally to get some advertisement. This a tactic that is good not for this year, but it is good for future advertising to the 2011 class and beyond. Once the wheels have been greased for the recruiting machine, you might see that the offer list shrinks in the years to come to be a little "choosier" so to speak.

When you have this many offers on the table, all of the kids will talk to each other and it gives the appearance that Tennessee is anywhere and everywhere. That hype builds on itself making the recruiting more competetive as they communicate with one another. Interesting tactic.
It would have worked last season, also. The SEC just passed a rule stating that a team can no longer sign more than 28 players. The previous limit was 35.

SEC passes limits on football signings; limit is now 28 in a single class - Sports from the Press-Register - al.com

This is why I think this is interesting. By the way, the SEC is calling this new rule the "Ole Miss" rule since they've oversigned 4 out of the past 5 years. Recruiting is a game of relationships...and this has the potential to have some kids and schools really upset. Just throwing out my .02 but also interested in what y'all thought.

I think I just recently read where Michigan is doing basically the same thing.

It would have worked last season, also. The SEC just passed a rule stating that a team can no longer sign more than 28 players. The previous limit was 35.

SEC passes limits on football signings; limit is now 28 in a single class - Sports from the Press-Register - al.com

This is why I think this is interesting. By the way, the SEC is calling this new rule the "Ole Miss" rule since they've oversigned 4 out of the past 5 years. Recruiting is a game of relationships...and this has the potential to have some kids and schools really upset. Just throwing out my .02 but also interested in what y'all thought.

That's interesting. I didn't realize that there was a decrease in the allowable signees that you can have in a year. I wonder why they are doing that? Seems a little unfair to kids that want to go to college and get an athletic scholarship to help pay for theur education.

I am not sure how this will all sort out in the end. How will they juggle the recruits that want to commit in February? Not sure.

That's interesting. I didn't realize that there was a decrease in the allowable signees that you can have in a year. I wonder why they are doing that? Seems a little unfair to kids that want to go to college and get an athletic scholarship to help pay for theur education.

I am not sure how this will all sort out in the end. How will they juggle the recruits that want to commit in February? Not sure.

This was just passed a few days ago. It was done to protect the kids coming in. Many of them have been burned (specifically Ole Miss). Ole Miss would sign them knowing they wouldn't make it in right away, or telling them to grey shirt or walk on and they'd get a scholy later (but never getting that scholly).

GaVol - Michigan may very well be doing this, I don't know. This new rule only applies for the SEC as of now. I'm sure other conferences will adopt it soon.

i thought i read that classes were limited to 28 only in throughout the early signing period.....

I think I just recently read where Michigan is doing basically the same thing.

If a bunch of schools start doing this, then doesn't it create a situation where there's a bunch of kids playing for their 2nd and 3rd choice teams? Or teams they don't even want to play for. Doesn't sound right to me.

Haha!...I pretty much did the exact same thing :lolabove:

THe best thing the article said was .............................."Rival programs can go nowhere and pursue no one without hearing the name Tennessee."

What matters if it will work or not... I couldn't care less if CLK is a scholarship "ho" or not.

I didn't think there was a limit to how many you could sign prior to this year. Just a limit of 25 to how many you could actually give scholarships to.

Regardless, I think this rule will severely reduce the offers to kids that are struggling to qualify. If an SEC school wants to bring in the max of 25 kids in a given year that only leaves them room for 3 nonqualifiers. I wonder how many kids were really getting burned? A lot of the oversigned kids were surefire nonquals so for those kids oversigning wasn't hurting them.

Sorry if this is a dupe. Lane Kiffin has offered 187 kids for the 2010 season. With only room for 28 max schollies now, what happens if more than 28 kids decide to play for UT? I know coaches extend scholarship offers to more than 28 kids each recruiting season, but 187 sounds like a huge amount. Will this hurt recruiting down the road for you guys? What are your opinions?

This approach is not any different than many other programs.

When your class is full then it is full. This is common sense really.

According to Volfan X, last season Fulmer's staff made offers to about 70 or so players at about mid spring. 187 sounds like a lot, but I have a feeling we are not the only school with 100+ offers out there and it will all work itself out...

I'm sure if it gets down to nut cutting time in mid-December, he will tell some kids to set up other visits.

Actually, I lied. The former staff actually did offer well over 100 players according to X...

The Edge on TonyBasilio.com

Now for 2009, Rivals records show that 196 total scholarship offers were made by Coach Fulmer and Coach Kiffin combined staff's. Of the total offers, 28 offers (or roughly 14 percent) were made to prospects from Florida and 19 (approximately 10 percent) offers were made to prospects from Georgia.

For the entire 2008 recruiting season or period, this is more telling in my opinion because this is solely Coach Fulmer’s staff; the UT staff offered a total of 168 scholarships. 22 of these scholarship offers were made to prospects in Florida and 16 scholarship offers were made to prospects in Georgia. That is 13% and 9.5% respectively of the total offers went to prospects in those two states.

Orgeron offered way more than this at Ole Miss. You have a clause in the offer saying that if a certain amount of players are taken at a position or a certain amount of time expires, they are no longer valid. There are all sorts of clauses they put in these offers to keep from overfilling the class.

Orgeron offered way more than this at Ole Miss. You have a clause in the offer saying that if a certain amount of players are taken at a position or a certain amount of time expires, they are no longer valid. There are all sorts of clauses they put in these offers to keep from overfilling the class.

The sad part is, that you have to bring this to peoples' attention.

This was just passed a few days ago. It was done to protect the kids coming in. Many of them have been burned (specifically Ole Miss). Ole Miss would sign them knowing they wouldn't make it in right away, or telling them to grey shirt or walk on and they'd get a scholy later (but never getting that scholly).

GaVol - Michigan may very well be doing this, I don't know. This new rule only applies for the SEC as of now. I'm sure other conferences will adopt it soon.

Hey Gator. Welcome aboard.

I've read most of your posts, I know you run a Gator board...I know you're a Gator fan (duh), blah, blah, blah.

I have no problem with you being here. You are quite a departure from the average Gator fan who shows up here.

I do have one small request: Is there any way you could teach lawgator just a smidge of the class you show on this board?

Thanks a ton.

Go Vols.

VN Store

Back