2541 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Kiffin crossed the line on this one Page 4. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. I'm still amazed this statement is getting so much press considering it happened in February. I agree that he could ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Let's Hug it Out

I'm still amazed this statement is getting so much press considering it happened in February. I agree that he could have probably kept his mouth shut, but this article from AJC tells of the adverse effects of banning coaches:

Spurrier, Kiffin rock different boats in same sea | AJC College Sports Recruiting

And looking at this principal's website, I personally like his quote:

Quote:
My goal for Pahokee Middle Senior High School is for our school to become an "A" school as well as make annual yearly progress. I would also like for every student to graduate and go to college.
...just not the ones I don't want them to go.

http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/pahok...ial/alejo.html

Last edited by jcolli30; 05-13-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
UTK '93, '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgator1 View Post
Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.
It's a problem if it costs us recruits. That's it. He's a football coach, not the governor.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
RIP TN FB

Griff, I enjoy most of your stuff and I recognize that you write as a profession unlike 99.9% of us here on this message board - so I respect you mingling with the mob... but I think that you're off on this article.

Kiffin already apologized for his comments. Any further apologies would be pandering to the principal of the Pahokee high school... which is completely unnecessary, particularly given that principal's purported alleg<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->iances. And remember, Kiffin's comments were not intended for national media consumption. To that end he has something to learn, yes... he is always on stage now. But this is obviously coming back to the forefront because a member of our staff was recently unwelcome at Pahokee. The real issue here is a school official tampering with its student's right to receive a higher education.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

judging from the fact this principle is a florida grad AND the fact he has made this a national issue when it could have been settled in private is it really crazy to think he has actively been trying to get his kids to go to florida?

http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/pahok...ial/alejo.html

and take your bluetooth out for the school photo dude.
droski is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
If you asked Kiffin that right now, I am certain he would say that he didn't mean to mock the residents of the poor rural areas of South Florida. But it came across that way, it is inevitable that it would, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.
Shane Matthews.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
It's a problem if it costs us recruits. That's it. He's a football coach, not the governor.
Huh? You mean he doesn't represent everyone from the state of Tennessee?

That's crazy talk.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Bryant View Post
HOLY CRAP! Look at the article Griff calls everyone from Minnesota as being ignorant, rude and eliteist. Someone tell Griff to issue an apology to the people of Minnesota.
Exactly what I was thinking! Spot on. How about it Griff? Are you as a professional Journalist ready to publicly apologize to the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State>? If not you sir are a hypocrite! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
VolBeef88 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeepvol View Post
Shane Matthews.

That's an ugly thing for us. My guess is they will talk about it asome point for the good of the university.

Wonder if Kiffin will invite some poor folks from Pahokee over for a swim to make up?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

huh?

Quote:
Good article. Reality is that Kiffin does not think before he speaks, it is a major character flaw for someone in his position, and he needs to just hold his tongue a bit here and there.
That's so funny: a gator lawyer advising anyone to hold his tongue...holy ambulance chasers!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
That's an ugly thing for us. My guess is they will talk about it asome point for the good of the university.

Wonder if Kiffin will invite some poor folks from Pahokee over for a swim to make up?
Are you really implying that none of this is due to the fault of Pahokee? Are you that naive?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
He'll probably invite the ones who are good enough to play ball at Tennessee.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #57 (permalink)

I'll tell you one thing. You will not be seeing much of Kiffin in the news in future off seasons for matters such as these. It's pretty obvious that he needed some sort of boost recruiting-wise to help the garbage that Phil left him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
Something Feels Right

Quote:
Perhaps someday he can learn to lie like Urban does especially if it helps he get his way.

Now, let's be honest.

This is the kind of thing people do say. Geez... how many times are UT fans called Hillbillies and when are Hillbillies ever depicted wearing shoes?

Get over it.

You don't hear all this stuff coming from the good people who live in Pudahokee, so why is their such an outcry from Gator fans?

You know exactly why. It has nothing to do with anyone getting offended. It's all about the politics of whining that are so well-practiced by Gator fans who learn from their HC, the supreme Cry Baby of the Land.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
If you asked Kiffin that right now, I am certain he would say that he didn't mean to mock the residents of the poor rural areas of South Florida. But it came across that way, it is inevitable that it would, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I didnt take it that way at all. I took it that he was setting the environment in which they were recruiting and how tough it was to get anyting done with the biased Principle at the school and the tough economic situation these kids face.
Now go cry somewhere else.
VolBeef88 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #60 (permalink)

Cool UT Football coach

Three points here:
Number One: It's not about Lane Kiffin, it's about the person in the position of Tennessee head football coach

Number Two: The comment was made in a public forum, so for the apology to carry any weight, it needs to be made in a public forum as well

Number Three: Poverty is nothing to thumb your nose at. What we have, as individuals, and as a society, should not be taken for granted.

I realize not everyone is sensitive to other people, and I know that winning football games is a top priority for many people.

But this is Tennessee football, and this is a place where it is a part of our society. Whoever holds the position of head football coach at Tennessee should realize that, and not just pay lip service to it.

That's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

BTW, I am on twitter now, for those on it who are interested: @mgrif32
Writer32 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP