Ran into Charles Davis this weekend in Knoxville

Orlando Vol

My girlfriend surprised me for my 30th birthday and flew me up to Knoxville for the UT-Alabama game yesterday.

As we were leaving the hotel yesterday morning, we ran into Charles Davis in the lobby. I introduced myself, and told him that I live in the same town he does back here in Florida. He was genuinely nice to my girlfriend and I, and we went on our merry way to get down to the game early so we could score some Bruce Pearl bobbleheads.

At the game, they announced that he was there and that he had recently done the play-by-play for the BCS national championship game, etc... He received a nice ovation from the crowd.

Last night, as we found a seat to wait for our flight home, he was there again... He was on his phone, but he smiled and aknowledged us.

When he was done with his call, we chatted for a half hour or so. He was so nice, and just a great guy to be around.

I talked to him about our new staff, and he seemed to be pretty happy with the way things were going. He mentioned that he thought that Ed Orgeron was in a much better position as a position coach and recruiter than he was as a head coach at Ole Miss.

Asked him if it was hard to call the game with UF playing for a National Championship, and he said "No", but that it would be harder if they were playing UT.

I asked him how he ended up at UT, being from New York, and he said that he was born in Tennessee (Elizabethton), and that he knew all his life that he wanted to play for Tennessee.

Just thought I's share a positive experience I had with a former VOL, and a great ambassador for the University. :rock:

-Matt

Charles Davis is the man, he's on Nashville radio a lot. Does he still work for the Big 10 network?

He was in town to speak to the African American Athletic Association, and he mentioned that he had been dropped off in Knoxville instead of Orlando by his NFL Network charter... He mentioned that he was working for NFL Network now, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

I don't get NFL Network, but I think he is on a nightly show from LA. I believe he is still working for FOX, as he did the BCS National Title game...

He was in town to speak to the African American Athletic Association, and he mentioned that he had been dropped off in Knoxville instead of Orlando by his NFL Network charter... He mentioned that he was working for NFL Network now, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

I don't get NFL Network, but I think he is on a nightly show from LA. I believe he is still working for FOX, as he did the BCS National Title game...

He's been involved with just about all the draft and combine coverage on the NFL Network.

He would never remember me, but I was a walk-on at Tennessee when Charles was a Freshman I believe (Fall 1982). I met him at breakfast one morning at the old training table in Gibbs and he was the nicest guy (along with Willie Gault) that I met of the scholarship guys (they actually let walkons eat there prior to classes starting). Charles was a real student of the game...the guy watched tons of film and always had the sports section with him at meals checking out other sports news. That's partially why he was so successful as a college player and more so as an analyst today. I did not know he was originally from TN ... glad to see him doing so well.

Another cool tidbit...

My girlfriend played golf at UCF and graduated back in '04...

He seemed genuinely interested, and asked her "Who was your coach?"

She told him, and he replied "So, you were there before (Current UCF Women's golf coach)... She does a great job."

I was blown away that he was able to name both the current and former women's golf coach at a school that he doesn't even cover...

He is obviously a well-connected and sharp guy to pull that out of nowhere...

On a side-note: I don't even know what her coach's name was, or who the current coach is... :)

Another cool tidbit...

She told him, and he replied "So, you were there before (Current UCF Women's golf coach)... She does a great job."

I was blown away that he was able to name both the current and former women's golf coach at a school that he doesn't even cover...

On a side-note: I don't even know what her coach's name was, or who the current coach is... :)

He's the kind of person who will be successful at WHATEVER he does because he goes at it 100%.

Another cool tidbit...

Davis worked on the Golf Channel for a while - I know he did the Grey Goose 19th hole program. In fact, I'm not sure there is a sport or network that Charles hasn't worked.

Great post; I was at the game and thought he got a great ovation. I thought he did a fine job for the BCS game, his colleague that night not so much.

Davis worked on the Golf Channel for a while - I know he did the Grey Goose 19th hole program. In fact, I'm not sure there is a sport or network that Charles hasn't worked.

I wouldn't mind having that job..

My girlfriend surprised me for my 30th birthday and flew me up to Knoxville for the UT-Alabama game yesterday.

As we were leaving the hotel yesterday morning, we ran into Charles Davis in the lobby. I introduced myself, and told him that I live in the same town he does back here in Florida. He was genuinely nice to my girlfriend and I, and we went on our merry way to get down to the game early so we could score some Bruce Pearl bobbleheads.

At the game, they announced that he was there and that he had recently done the play-by-play for the BCS national championship game, etc... He received a nice ovation from the crowd.

Last night, as we found a seat to wait for our flight home, he was there again... He was on his phone, but he smiled and aknowledged us.

When he was done with his call, we chatted for a half hour or so. He was so nice, and just a great guy to be around.

I talked to him about our new staff, and he seemed to be pretty happy with the way things were going. He mentioned that he thought that Ed Orgeron was in a much better position as a position coach and recruiter than he was as a head coach at Ole Miss.

Asked him if it was hard to call the game with UF playing for a National Championship, and he said "No", but that it would be harder if they were playing UT.

I asked him how he ended up at UT, being from New York, and he said that he was born in Tennessee (Elizabethton), and that he knew all his life that he wanted to play for Tennessee.

Just thought I's share a positive experience I had with a former VOL, and a great ambassador for the University. :rock:

-Matt

Nice post. People like Davis are the reason I'm glad to be a Volunteer. He's been mentoring me for the past year now since we're in the same business. He embodies the Volunteer spirit and he has an excellent sense of humor. Finally meeting him in person this weekend was really a highlight for me. Even told me he hopes we can announce some football games together. Go VOLS!!!

He's on the radio with Coach Doug Mathews alot here in Nashville.

Seems like a real nice guy, & a REAL UT man

He liked UT after watching them against UCLA as a kid. He sent tapes to UT and Missouri (because he liked their QB - a future baseball player). UT recruited him as he was a qb they had 7 qb in that class. Only T Rob stayed at qb. I think all the dbs were qbs, I know Chris White and Andre Creamer (I think that was his name) was a qb.

VN Store

Back