General Neyland vs Bear Byrant

SMVTT

Something or somebody is terribly wrong. I heard Coach Bryant say several times in reference to the General that he was never able to beat Coach Neyland and was certainly glad when the General retired. I've also seen remarks to the same made in both Tennessee & Alabama books on their FB history. I know for a fact neither Maryland nor Kentucky ever beat Tennessee under Bryant while Neyland was coaching. Bryant didn't become a HC until 1946 when he took the job @ Maryland. General Neyland retired after the 1952 season, thus there is no way he could have faced Bryant teams 16 times. The fact is Coach Neyland faced Coach Byrant 7 times and the General's record against Bryant stands as 5 wins, 0 loses & 2 ties.

IDK but maybe Bryant was also including his playing days @ Bama...Even so it would only add 4 more losses to Neyland..

Last edited:
Paul Bryant was the Head Coach at Maryland in 1945. He joined the Navy in December 1941. After serving in North Africa he returned to the US to become a football coach. He separated right after the surrender of Japan to take the job at Maryland.
There is a story that in order for a Maryland QB to play in the second half, Coach Bryant slammed his bent hand (as in broken) against the wall in order to straighten it. Maryland was running the Frank Thomas version of the Notre Dame Box. The QB mostly blocked in this formation.
I don't know where they get 16 times.

Been doing some checking and the record is: 7 meetings, Neyland won 5 Bryant won ZERO and they tied twice as previously stated... Thread over.

this was from Tennisguy in another thread! Thought it might get some action here?....Let the debating begin!!

I googled Neyland and found this. Wow, this is impressive if true. I didn't realize all of this.

General Robert Reese Neyland vs Paul "Bear" Bryant

They played each other 18 times. Neyland won 11 games, Bryant won 5 games, and they tied twice. Who is the better coach?

If that is not enough, he won 4 National Championships. Those came in 1938, 1940,
1950, and 1951. In 1939, Neyland's Tennessee Volunteers became the first and only team in NCAA history to hold ALL their regular season opponents scoreless.

In 1939, Neyland's Tennessee Volunteers became the first and only team in NCAA history to hold ALL their regular season opponents scoreless.[/B]

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of eeeearly Michigan teams that held their opponents scoreless in multiple seasons.

this was from Tennisguy in another thread! Thought it might get some action here?....Let the debating begin!!

I googled Neyland and found this. Wow, this is impressive if true. I didn't realize all of this.

General Robert Reese Neyland vs Paul "Bear" Bryant

They played each other 18 times. Neyland won 11 games, Bryant won 5 games, and they tied twice. Who is the better coach?

If that is not enough, he won 4 National Championships. Those came in 1938, 1940,
, and 1951. In 1939, Neyland's Tennessee Volunteers became the first and only team in NCAA history to hold ALL their regular season opponents scoreless.
wow 10 years without a nc? we just ran a guy off that won one 10 years ago. lol j/k ;) in between those years ut football didn't get as bad as it did between 1998 and now.

wow 10 years without a nc? we just ran a guy off that won one 10 years ago. lol j/k ;) in between those years ut football didn't get as bad as it did between 1998 and now.

The General wasn't there all those years. He was busy with WW2

He was serving his country in WWII from 1941-1945, so your comment doesn't hold water. You dare not compare Fulmer to General Neyland

FROM BEAR BRYANT'S BOOK

Bear personally set the record straight...

"Everyone thinks I'm the best damn coach in the country. But (Neyland) taught me everything I know."In seven attempts, Bear Bryant never defeated General Neyland."I never beat him," he said, "but I learned a lot from playing him."At General Neyland's retirement banquet, Bryant muttered "thank God the old guy finally quit."

from 'The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant'

FROM BEAR BRYANT'S BOOK

Bear personally set the record straight...

"Everyone thinks I'm the best damn coach in the country. But (Neyland) taught me everything I know."In seven attempts, Bear Bryant never defeated General Neyland."I never beat him," he said, "but I learned a lot from playing him."At General Neyland's retirement banquet, Bryant muttered "thank God the old guy finally quit."

from 'The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant'

That is a classy comment from a classy coach.

No one compares......

CPF came close... Someone is gonna come along to re-establish dominance. Count on it. Can't wait to see who it is...

Reactions: 1 person
Wish I could've seen Neyland coach. Definitely one of the greatest college coaches of all time

Neyland beat Kentucky and Bryant 7-0 in 1950. It was Kentuckys' only loss and denied them a NC.

Neyland beat Kentucky and Bryant 7-0 in 1950. It was Kentuckys' only loss and denied them a NC.

A lot of people say "Well the Bear was coaching at Kentucky of course he lost to Neyland!" But they fail to realize that Kentucky was actually good during those years

VN Store

Back