Johnny Majors' History

sptnut

I was pretty young when the whole Johnny Majors firing happened so I dont really know the specifics. Could someone explain to me exactly what happened back then? I know I saw Majors on WVLT tonight asking for his reaction to Fulmer getting let go, he had the "I could care less look"

I was pretty young when the whole Johnny Majors firing happened so I dont really know the specifics. Could someone explain to me exactly what happened back then? I know I saw Majors on WVLT tonight asking for his reaction to Fulmer getting let go, he had the "I could care less look"

I saw that too; when asked his reaction to what happened today, he very deliberately said "I have nothing to say about what happened today." By saying that he was, of course, showing exactly how he felt about it.

It was a story without heroes. Majors was a drunk and a jackass who pissed off enough important people that they were looking to get rid of him; Fulmer was a backstabber who took advantage of his boss's heart attack to elbow him aside. Not a pretty chapter in Tennessee history.

It was a story without heroes. Majors was a drunk and a jackass who pissed off enough important people that they were looking to get rid of him; Fulmer was a backstabber who took advantage of his boss's heart attack to elbow him aside. Not a pretty chapter in Tennessee history.

a teenager that read it in a book somewhere~~

I actually went to the hotel in Memphis to see Majors when he called the fateful press conference.

I'm curious about your statement about CPF being a backstabber. How did CPF "elbow him aside?" Not saying there's not truth to that- I just don't remember the facts, and I don't recall how he would have had that kind of power. I've been asked to take over when someone else was fired by the higher-ups. Never asked for it, but was willing to serve.

. . . and yet he had the basics pretty much correct.
That's what I was gonna say but you said it for me. Not to mention I wasn't a happy camper the way it came down at the time.

Majors' heart condition caused him to miss the first 3 games of the 92 season,a win over Georgia @ Athens and a home win in the rain vs Fla..this caused Majors to jump out of his sickbed fully healed and try to take the reins of the team back..this caused a rift in the staff and amongst the players, who immediately after Majors came lost 3 straight games to Arkansas 25-24, eventuall NC Alabama 17-10 and then the loss at USC 24-23,when ANY of the 3 would have won the SECE for the team...this was compounded by Majors demands for more pay ,as he was at the time in the middle of the pack in SEC coaches..a tirade at the team hotel in Columbia in front of Joe Johnson,Doug Dickey and a couple other giant boosters sealed the deal on Johnny..it was also thought that at the time Fulmer was undermining Johnny with the AD and boosters, but I would be surprised if the deal was done as soon as he showed his ass in Columbia...Majors was nevver a player's coach..Phil was..and that was that~~~

Last edited:
Majors was a complete drunk. My dad used to take me to watch golden gloves on friday nights. Majors would be completely wasted. I saw them literally carry Majors out on several occasions. (He would be ready for the games on Saturday though.)

that was beautiful :good!:

Majors crapped where he ate. and you can't do that.

i'm sure you can dig up the KNS story on Majors and why, according to Majors, he was let go, somewhere on the internet. it was within the last year or two i think.

And BTW...Johnny was known to slip over to Cherokee CC for a JD or 5 after practice~~~;)

a teenager that read it in a book somewhere~~

I'm 38. I was a UT student at the time.

IMO Fulmer behaved abominably, but by that time Majors had made himself into such a completely unsympathetic character that it was A) impossible to feel sorry for him and B) easy to see why so many people wanted him gone. I don't see how you could defend either of them.

I'm 38. I was a UT student at the time.

IMO Fulmer behaved abominably, but by that time Majors had made himself into such a completely unsympathetic character that it was A) impossible to feel sorry for him and B) easy to see why so many people wanted him gone. I don't see how you could defend either of them.

Then you'll remember Go Johnny Go & Take Devoe.

All that has been stated is accurate. The only thing I would add, is at the time when Johnny came back, he was drinking with the medication he was taking from heart surgery which caused him to be more irrational than normal. Fulmer indeed stabbed Johnny in the back and was far more liked by the players and students. Looks like we're full circle boys....

nuts in South Carolina...That part I KNOW..BTW,Not defending anyone here...I think I said Majors was what he was without calling him a name...As for Fulmer, a backstabber? I have no proof and if anyone has something other than heresay,then air it..It doesnt change a thing in what happended today to throw around baloney like that when someone asks a point blank question..Oh I forgot, this is the internet, you can say whay you want with no recourse~~

]

Heart medication is a funny thing..my mother reacted to it much the same way, although she doesnt drink...I think it was a blood pressure thing...Johnny DESERVED it IMO..

Then you'll remember Go Johnny Go & Take Devoe.

All that has been stated is accurate. The only thing I would add, is at the time when Johnny came back, he was drinking with the medication he was taking from heart surgery which caused him to be more irrational than normal. Fulmer indeed stabbed Johnny in the back and was far more liked by the players and students. Looks like we're full circle boys....

It never is simple but it seemed to me that Fulmer was an anchor in the coaching staff at a time when Majors was unstable. Some just hold to the Bowden Wyatt privilege.

Tennessee made a mistake not hiring Majors in 1970 at 32 instead of the 28 year old Bill battle. Clearly Majors best coaching was in the 1970's with Iowa State who never went to a bowl game and winning the NC at Pitt in 1976.

This guy needs to shut up and quit crying. It may be different for some of you "older" fans, but I am 23 Ever since I have been able to care about football really, Cach Fulmer has been the Coach. So as far as Majors ,at least Fulmer isnt acting ignorant he accepted the decesion, and agreed to help his replacement. Majors cries every time he is asked about Tennessee Football Now that is not a TRUE VOL to me.

Tennessee made a mistake not hiring Majors in 1970 at 32 instead of the 28 year old Bill battle. Clearly Majors best coaching was in the 1970's with Iowa State who never went to a bowl game and winning the NC at Pitt in 1976.

That has always been to me an fascinating "What if....?

Also, what if Dickey resisted the tempation to go back to Florida....?

I was NEVER a Doug Dickey fan. He should have stayed down in that crap hole which is Gainesville.

VN Store

Back