best quarterback in Vols history

MichaelKnoxII

who do you guys think is the best QB in Vols history. i know alot of ppl are going to say that peyton manning is the number one QB in Vols history, but i think andy kelly is the best QB in Vols history. when he left UTK, he held almost every single passing record at UTK.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

who do you guys think is the best QB in Vols history. i know alot of ppl are going to say that peyton manning is the number one QB in Vols history, but i think andy kelly is the best QB in Vols history. when he left UTK, he held almost every single passing record at UTK.

Andy Kelly had Anthony Morgan, Carl Pickens, and Alvin Harper. Peyton had Joey Kent, Marcus Nash, and Pearless Price. All 3 of Kelly's mates spent time in the NFL, only Pearless spent time, somewhat, in the NFL. All in all Kelly had more talent around him. Peyton is the best QB to EVER play on the hill.

Holloway is 2nd IMHO

You have got to be effin kidding me...

Yeah when Kelly left he held most of the records....then someone named Manning came along and obliterated them...

You must be a regular around here who has created a new account to mess with everyone...

Like I said in the best quarterback discussion we had a couple of weeks ago, Tony Robinson is the best overall college quarterback we have ever had IMO, with Peyton second. I was too young to remember Condredge, but from the highlights I've seen he would have to be up there near the top.

Peyton was awesome...but I'm gonna go with Tee Martin. He took us to an undefeated season! :)

What do you mean by best? Wins and losses? Leadership? Most wins with less talent around him?

Tee took us to a National Championship. Peyton holds almost every record, won the SEC but didn't win a national championship. Or in the case of Tony Robinson, are we talking about the QB that had the most talent?

Kelly made numerous plays that just wanted to make you bang your head against the wall. Those were rare with Peyton... Peyton was much better in all aspects of the game.

If Manning had Kelly's receivers, Pickens, Harper, Morgan, et al... we would have beat out the mid 90s florida squads fun n' gun for most feared passing game in the SEC.

I've seen a few of you take Tee over Peyton because of the championship but think about this:

1. If we're talking wins then Peyton is easily the winningest QB for us

2. If we're saying Tee led us to a championship then tell me...what hand did he play in Arky fumble, the pass interference against Syracuse, etc.

3. How did Tee do the following year when he didn't catch anyone off guard...you know...when he had a bullseye on his jersey the way Peyton did every year he was our QB

I'm not trying to discount Tee....there's just no comparison between the two

In all seriousness, there are generational gaps...a great QB in the 1950's might not match up well in the 1990's or 2000's...but I would have to think that the argument that Andy Kelly set all of the school passing records is bunk since Peyton shattered them. Don't get me wrong - Andy Kelly was obviously good...I think he holds several Arena Football passing records. But look at it this way - there is only one quarterback that really ever succeeded on an incredibly high level outside of UT, and that's Peyton...which shows he wasn't a product of a system, he was a product of his ability.

And not discounting Tee Martin...but he was more of a perfect cog in a well-oiled machine. I don't think Tee Martin would have won a National Championship without Peerless Price, but I don't think Peerless Price would have won one without Tee Martin...does that make any sense?

And not discounting Tee Martin...but he was more of a perfect cog in a well-oiled machine. I don't think Tee Martin would have won a National Championship without Peerless Price, but I don't think Peerless Price would have won one without Tee Martin...does that make any sense?

Yes but the Jim Bob Cooter reference made more sense:)

neither of them wins anything playing with the defenses that played with manning. The 1998 title was won by the defense and a solid running game.

I never saw him but Condredge Holloway needs to be in the discussion. This is based on my dad, granddad (a HS football coach for many, many years) and fellow VN posters opinions. I had the pleasure of seeing Manning, Shuler, Clausen I, Martin etc but they saw both and really don't think it's close.

neither of them wins anything playing with the defenses that played with manning. The 1998 title was won by the defense and a solid running game.

Agreed...and as I said before...Manning had a freakin bullseye on him from his sophomore year on...

Martin lost 3 games the one year he wasn't an unknown quantity coming in

...and all of those records were subsequently amended to say "Peyton Manning". Are you kidding me? Andy Kelly was a good college quarterback. However, the answer to your question is Peyton Manning, and it isn't even close. Anyone claiming otherwise (likely to be Hat) is simply trying to stir the pot.

Peyton is by far the best of all-time and Tee Martin second. But Casey Clausen is the most underrated PLAYER in the last 30 years. He had no talent around (except in 01), he was gutsy, and he played with a joke of an oc and a head coach that lost some of its fire (which fulmer basically said). Casey didn't win a title, i know, but that wasn't his fault. Listen to some of these stuff he did.

1. He beat Florida twice, on the road, never happen before.
2. Won 30 games
3. Was 14-1 on the road, 35-10 overall
4. Second in career yards, td's, completion %
5. Had no talent around him for 3 years

He had a tough job starting after Peyton & Tee, and even i thought he wasn't that good, but after looking back, he actually was pretty good. If he only one the 2001 SEC Title and have a shot at the national title.

Peyton is by far the best of all-time and Tee Martin second. But Casey Clausen is the most underrated PLAYER in the last 30 years. He had no talent around (except in 01), he was gutsy, and he played with a joke of an oc and a head coach that lost some of its fire (which fulmer basically said). Casey didn't win a title, i know, but that wasn't his fault. Listen to some of these stuff he did.

1. He beat Florida twice, on the road, never happen before.
2. Won 30 games
3. Was 14-1 on the road, 35-10 overall
4. Second in career yards, td's, completion %
5. Had no talent around him for 3 years

He had a tough job starting after Peyton & Tee, and even i thought he wasn't that good, but after looking back, he actually was pretty good. If he only one the 2001 SEC Title and have a shot at the national title.

Casey rarely lost games for us. I was watching the 2006 UT-Bama replay and Eric Ainge looked horrible. Then i started thinking of all the games that he did look bad in. His freshman year was unbeliveably good and then it was downhill from there.

VN Store

Back