1146 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Tennessee Vs. Virginia Tech Rumor. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Guys didn't know if anyone else has heard this but this is a rumor I've been hearing around Johnson City ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Guys didn't know if anyone else has heard this but this is a rumor I've been hearing around Johnson City for nearly 2 years.....Any of yall that follow Nascar know about Bristol Motor Speedway up in Bristol, Tennessee right on the state border of...you got it.....Tennessee and Virginia. It seats 162,000 people and the folks at Bristol motor speedway said they would do whatever needed to happen to get these teams there to play a game. Could yall imagine 162,000 fans? My understanding is they would half up the tickets and play there every year, 81,000 of us 81,000 of them.....as Rabid as our fans are and their fans aint bad....that would be quiet a fun rivalry.....but the last I heard VA. Tech shot it down but one of my friends (Huge VA. Tech fan) said that we shut the idea down because why play there when could have 108,000 at Neyland......basically he said we were ducking them, I think the idea is ingenious and Tech and Tennessee play surprisingly similiar. Vols and Tech both are run first teams with shut down D's....What would ya'll think if this happened? I personally would love to see it...seeing as how I live in JOhnson City and it would take 15 minutes to get there but 162,000 people in ONE STADIUM!!!! :rocks: thats insane....gimme your thought if this were to happen and if ya'll ever heard anything about it

Congrats to Tennessee on the number #1 Class in the country in 2005
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
So soft and terrible

I live in Abingdon and have also heard these rumors before. How would that work though? Would the game count towards the season? When would they play it? I am only for it if UT was a shoe in to win. A loss to Tech would make life hard here with all the Hokies around. My father is a Hokie grad and he is always talking about how the Vols are scared to play Tech. Yeah right! Bring on the Chokies!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
GVF
Absolut Orange

The last I heard anything about this is that we turned down the home and home due to already brutal schedules. If we didn't have such a schedule in the SEC, we might entertain higher profile D1 schools. At the time I heard this we still had Miami on schedule, who has since been replaced by Notre Dame. Maybe someday it'll happen, but we will only take one high end D1 at a time. The otehrs are sub-D1 opponents. Then again, the ACC is definitely on the rise, and FSU still keeps Miami and FLA on their rotation, so I guess it's what you want to open yourself up to week after week.

I'll have some sweet "T" with my can of whoop a**
...Now that's high quality OrangeT.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bristol Motor Speedway started this talk about 10 years ago. Nothing ever came of it.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Demon Dog

I had a friend that worked in the Athletic Dept. a few years ago tell me that UT wouldn't do it b/c they want all the attendance records to stay at Neyland.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Is it just me, or do the logistics of playing football inside a race track seem odd to anyone else?

First off, I doubt the infield is perfectly level, with turf comparable to a quality football surface. Second, the straightaways are 650 feet, which is over 200 yards, PLUS the turns, PLUS 40 feet of pavement. That puts fans a long way from the field.

I don't know, it just seems like a dumb priority to see how many fans you can pack into an area for numbers' sake. I'd rather tailgate by the river and watch 'em play in Neyland, thanks.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Agent of Chaos

It's just a rumor...nothing else. Supposedly, Tech wanted UT to move their home game to Bristol, which will never happen.

"I was like, 'This game right now is bigger than the NFL,' " Mitchell said. "Even though we lost a game, even though we weren't able to go to a championship game, it's still living out a dream that was bigger than the NFL."-Jason Mitchell, Tennessee linebacker...a true Volunteer
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the idea is great....I mean that would be a big non conference rivalry for us.....but yall are also right......there so many freakin hokies here we'd never here the end of it if we lost.....Its nearly halfway between both schools and I think it would be a huge rivalry....the already established SEC against the up and coming ACC.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Agent of Chaos

As close as the 2 schools are, I'm honestly surprised they haven't played more.

"I was like, 'This game right now is bigger than the NFL,' " Mitchell said. "Even though we lost a game, even though we weren't able to go to a championship game, it's still living out a dream that was bigger than the NFL."-Jason Mitchell, Tennessee linebacker...a true Volunteer
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

UT turned down the idea to play a game at Bristol Motor Speedway because we would have to give up a home game to play a game at a neutral site. Basically, it all comes down to $$$.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Personally, I've always wanted to see us play the Tarheels of North Carolina. I checked my media guide,m and the last time we played them was 1961. It is just over the mountains from Tennessee, and we recruit North Carolina pretty hard every year. That's just a game I've always wanted to see on our schedule. Doubt that it will ever happen though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just an odd fact...but Tennessee is surrounded by 8 other states.....we only have so many football games a year...we literally could make local state-state rivalries out of Virginia, VA. Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Kentucky, Arkansas even Missouri I think lol........that was fun

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I always heard that Dickey nixed the BMS idea because it would have cost us a home game and he felt that it was unfair to the Knox businesses to lose the business
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nope, don't think it will happen....would be way more to the advantage of the Hokies.....we don't really need to increase our numbers....we have them.....they don't.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Um.. Uh...

BMS could make the field out of natural grass if they had to. Their facilities mgmnt are some of the brightest in the business.

But like ^he^ said, it would be a bigger benefit to the turkeys than it would to the Vols.

However, I think that since EA Sports does both NCAA Football and Na$car Cha$se for the Cup games, they should put a football field in BMS on NCAA 2006.

Speaking of NCAA by EAS, how come it doesn't have the "nuetral site" feature available anymore in the custom schedules for the teams in the dynasty mode? I loved playing Tennessee vs Vanderbilt at Nashville Colisseum.
Reply With Quote TOP