So...How did Tennessee used to Play?

Somehow my mind went back to that bs game against Alabubba that year. Kicked them all over the field in the first half just to have a 9-3 lead at the half. They couldn’t stop Kelly to Pickens, Harper, and Morgan, so naturally Johnny shut down our passing game in the third quarter, let them steal the momentum, and lost once again to a another Bama team that we should have beaten!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Somehow my mind went back to that bs game against Alabubba that year. Kicked them all over the field in the first half just to have a 9-3 lead at the half. They couldn’t stop Kelly to Pickens, Harper, and Morgan, so naturally Johnny shut down our passing game in the third qua

He appeared to have a way of squandering games

Reactions: 6 people
He appeared to have a way of squandering games

Nobody loves the Vols more than me, but yes he did! That team had national title ability, and Johnny’s fair coaching ability. I really hope that we have finally found a guy who’s can be a GREAT coach this time. I know we are all dreaming for that day!

Reactions: 1 person
Somehow my mind went back to that bs game against Alabubba that year. Kicked them all over the field in the first half just to have a 9-3 lead at the half. They couldn’t stop Kelly to Pickens, Harper, and Morgan, so naturally Johnny shut down our passing game in the third quarter, let them steal the momentum, and lost once again to a another Bama team that we should have beaten!

How about the Fiesta Bowl that year vs Penn State?!?! It was the same thing. We were moving the ball at will in the first half and they were 3 downs and out on every series but we only had a 10-7 lead at halftime. They went on to win 42-17 off turnovers.

Fulmer was OC back then and deserved some heat (and got it). It wasn't just Majors' fault. Phil hated throwing the ball when we had the lead (however small) and red zone efficiency that year was atrocious... and Dale Carter fumbled too many punts and kicks and Andy Kelly threw waaaay too many interceptions.

Reactions: 2 people
I’m just reminded how deep our teams have been over the years. It takes a while to recruit to get back like that but hopefully CJP can get our numbers back. Got to recruit heavily in Georgia and especially the Atlanta area to achieve that which I think we can do.

How about the Fiesta Bowl that year vs Penn State?!?! It was the same thing. We were moving the ball at will in the first half and they were 3 downs and out on every series but we only had a 10-7 lead at halftime. They went on to win 42-17 off turnovers.

Fulmer was OC back then and deserved some heat (and got it). It wasn't just Majors' fault. Phil hated throwing the ball when we had the lead (however small) and red zone efficiency that year was atrocious... and Dale Carter fumbled too many punts and kicks and Andy Kelly threw waaaay too many interceptions.

OMG yes! Majors and Fulmer in action! If you remember (and I’m sure you do), we ran comeback routes the whole first half against them with massive success. All we had to do was stutter step and go right by their over aggressive db’s in the second half. Of course Joe Pa was the one with the adjustments and the route was on. That’s twice in just that season that we were massively outcoached.

I’m just reminded how deep our teams have been over the years. It takes a while to recruit to get back like that but hopefully CJP can get our numbers back. Got to recruit heavily in Georgia and especially the Atlanta area to achieve that which I think we can do.

LB C. Smith, #56, recruited out of Athens, GA...that's the way we need to get back to recruiting!

Reactions: 4 people

This was a Thur. night game as I recall (as students, we drove up to Louisville that day). The Cards were on the come, as I believe they had beaten some teams in recent years, and of course were touting J. Brohm and the air attack.
After watching the video highlights, a bit of trivia always stands-out to me about this team;
UT is one of two teams to place Offensive & Deffensive “ROY” in the NFL (in our instance it was Carl Pickens, and Dale Carter respectively). I believe the other was FSU
Very rare to put one ROY (like AK last year w/Saints), but to place both?
Also, for those that never got a chance to see him play, Carl Pickens used to look bored at times , while running to the end zone (he was truly a man among boys, in talent). We simply had the jimmys back in the day, and that mindset has arrived again thank goodness -

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

This post answers the original query perfectly. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but almost always did not.

Penn State seemed to always have our number in bowl games:ermm:

This was a Thur. night game as I recall (as students, we drove up to Louisville that day). The Cards were on the come, as I believe they had beaten some teams in recent years, and of course were touting J. Brohm and the air attack.
After watching the video highlights, a bit of trivia always stands-out to me about this team;
UT is one of two teams to place Offensive & Deffensive “ROY” in the NFL (in our instance it was Carl Pickens, and Dale Carter respectively). I believe the other was FSU
Also, for those that never got a chance to see him play, Carl Pickens used to look bored at times , while running to the end zone (he was truly a man among boys, in talent). We simply had the jimmys back in the day, and that mindset has arrived again thank goodness -

Back in those days, I saw the Vols play here in Baton Rouge vs. LSU. The Tigers scored and were roaring with momentum. On the ensuing kickoff, Pickens housed it, and totally took the wind out of their sails.

Pickens was on the '91 team. Harper and Morgan graduated after '90.

Still, it was a potent offense that sputtered at times.

I went to the UF game the week before then turned around and went to the Bama game a week later. Somehow I had more money as a student...:thud:

Reactions: 3 people
Back in those days, I saw the Vols play here in Baton Rouge vs. LSU. The Tigers scored and were roaring with momentum. On the ensuing kickoff, Pickens housed it, and totally took the wind out of their sails.

That was 1989. The last play of the first half too... LSU kicked it deep. Big mistake. Pickens was a play-maker.

Reactions: 3 people

The previous year they took bama behind the woodshed in the fiesta bowl.

If this year's D has just half the intensity of the team on this vid we'd contend for the East.

VN Store

Back