Mr Finbaulm is too hard to through to i'll ask VN

10acvols

Just for some off season fun, but lets suppose being 4-8 last season was more about coaching and player development (or a lack there of) rather than a lack of talent. Make no mistake a lack of depth is hard to overcome, but my question is....

How far behind all these other teams are we?

I mean, before last season started, I thought we were closing the gap. We had beaten Florida and Georgia both in recent years. S. Carolina was in the same boat we were and we went to tA&M and gave them all they wanted.

I just can't see how we can be that far behind. Since everybody else has made there prognostications I'll take a crack at it. JMO. Don't forget i'm a homer :p

WV...........W......No pressure on us. If they get beat, there goes WG's heisman campaign.
ETSU........W..... No explanation needed.
UTEP........W..... See above
U.F. .........W..... Its Home, Its Florida. I give the home
team the toss up.
UGA..........L......They got too much talent.
Auburn......L......See above.
Bama........L......See above.
USC..........L......Even a home know a stretch like our last 4 takes a toll on a team with depth issues.
Charlotte...W.....Too bad we couldn't flip this game with the USC game.
UK ...........W.....Being at home really helps this one.
Mizzu........W.....See above.
Vandy.......W.....I could never see myself picking Vandy no matter how bad we are.

Reactions: 10 people
Please translate this first, "too hard to through to i'll ask VN.

Some editorial issues there, I'm sure: "Mr. Finebaum is too hard to get through to...". Otherwise, not too bad. I'll say, I dream of your predictions, but in my best dreams, SC jr is a W. On the other hand, in my worst nightmares SC, WV, and one or two others are L's.

Last edited:
LB play will be much improved
DL unknown but expect improvemet
CB's improved
Saftey's will be more prepared
QB play will be a lot better
OL Will be better
WR much improved
Tight End much improved
RB's a Push
Special team play worried about
Coaching very much improved
Conditioning very much improved

Barring injury your prediction could be spot on.
Mizzu will be tough win but 6 or 7 wins very possible.
8 Not a reach!

Reactions: 6 people
Those of you delusional enough to predict 8 wins (or more) might want to remove any firearms from your home before the season starts.

Reactions: 2 people
Last year our game plan was an open book test for the teams we played. Those with comparable talent beat us. Those with inferior talent beat us. Those we should mop the floor with talent gave us all we wanted.

It’s a new year fellas. Sure we have new schemes on both sides of the ball to have to master, but CJP has already said and shown(O&W Game) that although his base D will be a 3-4, we won’t be running base until we have the players to run base.

As usual for college football, it comes down to QB play, unless you have a veteran defense that can control the game. Under those circumstances a game manager for QB can win a bunch of games, but even then don’t expect championships.

The sky is the limit for the Vols this year. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball that has been mishandled.

Go back and look at the games we were competitive the 1st, 2nd and 3rd qtrs(Some till the final whistle.) last year. Imagine if you will, an offense that wasn’t predictable and a defense that wasn’t so predictable too.

Maybe we won’t set records for injuries, maybe our QB will show some spunk, maybe our defense can stop the run. That’s three big maybes.

I sure like our chances for improvement over last year.

Reactions: 12 people
<blue font> Oh gosh and gee willickers!!! Thanks for giving VN another opportunity to predict Ws and Ls for the upcoming season with this thoughtful thread!! How unique!!

Reactions: 1 person
CB's improved
OL Will be better
WR much improved
Tight End much improved
RB's a Push

8 Not a reach!

If we cut our injuries in half from the last two years, then we will be fine and win at least 3 more games than last season.

CBs is at best a question. They weren't tested last year due to porous run defense and we lost 3 CB starters including Gaulden.

I expect special teams to be improved except for Punting, it's hard to replace a top shelf guy like Daniel. But hey, we are Punter U!

Last year our game plan was an open book test for the teams we played. Those with comparable talent beat us. Those with inferior talent beat us. Those we should mop the floor with talent gave us all we wanted.

It’s a new year fellas. Sure we have new schemes on both sides of the ball to have to master, but CJP has already said and shown(O&W Game) that although his base D will be a 3-4, we won’t be running base until we have the players to run base.

As usual for college football, it comes down to QB play, unless you have a veteran defense that can control the game. Under those circumstances a game manager for QB can win a bunch of games, but even then don’t expect championships.

The sky is the limit for the Vols this year. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball that has been mishandled.

Go back and look at the games we were competitive the 1st, 2nd and 3rd qtrs(Some till the final whistle.) last year. Imagine if you will, an offense that wasn’t predictable and a defense that wasn’t so predictable too.

Maybe we won’t set records for injuries, maybe our QB will show some spunk, maybe our defense can stop the run. That’s three big maybes.

Pruitt usually doesn't run what looks like a true 3-4 all of his formations end up looking like a 4-3 before the snap.

We will be playing a base 3-4 this year but it's Pruitt's hybrid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Good post and I agree. Last years scheme on both sides of the ball lacked any imagination or the ability/willingness to adjust. Injuries were at a freakish level and the team buy-in looked gone after the UGA game...

Even with new schemes this year, and the lack of experienced depth at every position, I think this team will be prepared to play...and look it.

Pruitt is a worker...a fierce competitor. If this team takes on that same mentality(and they will), I see no reason we can’t win 7 games...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Pruitt usually doesn't run what looks like a true 3-4 all of his formations end up looking like a 4-3 before the snap.

We will be playing a base 3-4 this year but it's Pruitt's hybrid.

My expectation is our defense will force the QB to either change the play that was called, call a timeout, or get blasted by our aggressive defense. Last year they could call a play go to the line and see exactly what they studied film on. I honestly believe that is in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Those must be thick glasses OP. At first I was thinking a Vandy grad had took a wrong turn and was posting on VN.

We will win some, we will lose some. I really want to go to a bowl game somewhere warm, fun, and driveable.

It will be a successful season if we show the top recruits we are the place to go, coaching change reflects huge gains in performance, and yes...we go bowling.

Last edited:
Good post and I agree. Last years scheme on both sides of the ball lacked any imagination or the ability/willingness to adjust. Injuries were at a freakish level and the team buy-in looked gone after the UGA game...

Even with new schemes this year, and the lack of experienced depth at every position, I think this team will be prepared to play...and look it.

Pruitt is a worker...a fierce competitor. If this team takes on that same mentality(and they will), I see no reason we can’t win 7 games...

A big disappointment(One of many.) for me last year was even after Butch was gone there was no change in the game plan.

Sure it’s hard to retool a team, but to do the same ole same ole that got the HC fired was why BH couldn’t be taken seriously as a potential long team answer as HC. I don’t think he really ever had a shot at being the next HC, but the way he “stayed on course” of a fire HC was pitiful.

Those of you delusional enough to predict 8 wins (or more) might want to remove any firearms from your home before the season starts.

I think its safe to say we lose to..

Bama
Georgia
Auburn

Other than those 3, I don't see any team on our schedule that I would consider predicting a win over to be delusional.

I don't think we win 8 this year, but delusional is an awful strong word to describe someone with that prediction.

What say you Remy? :)

Reactions: 7 people
My expectation is our defense will force the QB to either change the play that was called, call a timeout, or get blasted by our aggressive defense. Last year they could call a play go to the line and see exactly what they studied film on. I honestly believe that is in the past.

Yup totally agree the same thing went for our offense as well.

It's going to be great being less predictible. West Virginia's terrible defense is in for a treat for sure.

Just for some off season fun, but lets suppose being 4-8 last season was more about coaching and player development (or a lack there of) rather than a lack of talent. Make no mistake a lack of depth is hard to overcome, but my question is....

How far behind all these other teams are we?

I mean, before last season started, I thought we were closing the gap. We had beaten Florida and Georgia both in recent years. S. Carolina was in the same boat we were and we went to tA&M and gave them all they wanted.

I just can't see how we can be that far behind. Since everybody else has made there prognostications I'll take a crack at it. JMO. Don't forget i'm a homer :p

WV...........W......No pressure on us. If they get beat, there goes WG's heisman campaign.
ETSU........W..... No explanation needed.
UTEP........W..... See above
U.F. .........W..... Its Home, Its Florida. I give the home
team the toss up.
UGA..........L......They got too much talent.
Auburn......L......See above.
Bama........L......See above.
USC..........L......Even a home know a stretch like our last 4 takes a toll on a team with depth issues.
Charlotte...W.....Too bad we couldn't flip this game with the USC game.
UK ...........W.....Being at home really helps this one.
Mizzu........W.....See above.
Vandy.......W.....I could never see myself picking Vandy no matter how bad we are.

I do not believe anyone really knows how this team will look until the season starts. Tennessee does not lack talent, it whether or not they are developed. The S&C seems to be coming along, they are starting to look like SEC players on paper. IF, and I mean IF the OL and DL/LB are playing well....I could see 8 wins and I could see UT beating USC at home.......so maybe 9 wins. The QB position is a huge unknown, how do you scheme against a team that has talent, but you have no idea what they are going to do? sure you can watch tapes from other teams, but one thing I know, Pruitt will have the defense ready to play, its the 3rd and 4th Qtr that will tell the tale.

Cornbread! Go Vols! :rock:

I think that's the best cast scenario in my opinion but I would love to see it! If we somehow reach 8 wins Pruitt should be in consideration for coach of the year.

CB's improved
OL Will be better
WR much improved
Tight End much improved
RB's a Push

8 Not a reach!

I'll take a stab at this too:

LB much improved
DL ??? Literally can't get worse
CB ??? See line above
Safety Improved will be position of strength

QB I expect modest improvement
OL much much better
RB maybe slightly worse
TE worse
WR much much better, strength of team

KR who knows