ESPN Aricle on Pruitt's defense

Fingers

Pruitt spent five years as a defensive coordinator at three different schools before being hired in December to head up the Volunteers' rejuvenation. In that span, Washington leads all Power 5 programs with 136 takeaways. But add up each of Pruitt's stops -- Florida State, Georgia and Alabama -- and he's got even more, 139. His defenses exceeded the Power 5 average in takeaways every season, and he ranked in the top 10 three times. At each new stop, Pruitt increased takeaways from the prior regime by an average of nearly 10 per season.

He can list off plenty of reasons. He's had great athletes. He stresses putting pressure on the quarterback, something that, as offenses increasingly add run-pass options to their playbooks, makes for even more takeaway chances. And he asks his defenses to be aggressive, to dictate the action rather than respond to it.

Those trends hold true at each of Pruitt's stops, which certainly is a credit to his defenses, though not necessarily attributable to strip drills, defensive backs with great hands or repeated team mantras about the importance of takeaways.

Perhaps that's right. Pruitt certainly believes in his philosophy, though this season will serve as its biggest test. Last season, Tennessee finished with just 15 takeaways, tied for 97th nationally. It was also playing from behind 58 percent of the time, faced passes on just 36 percent of its defensive snaps and faced the seventh-fewest third-and-longs in the country. Those numbers might prove far more daunting in the quest to up Tennessee's takeaway count.

Coaches and their everlasting quest to coach turnovers

Reactions: 27 people
I feel like I've seen a ghost. Must be getting closer to football if Fingers is starting threads.

Good read.

Reactions: 7 people
Practice videos in 3....2....

opSxNs8.gif

Article points out, "At each new stop, Pruitt increased takeaways from the prior regime by an average of nearly 10 per season."

I'll take that right now. That can change a game or two.

Reactions: 5 people
Having superior athletes and playing with a lead has massive amount to do with it but can’t argue with the improvement stat once he’s on board. If he can pull off miracle and land us in the 40-50 range on D, we will win some games.

Thanks for sharing that interesting article, Fingers.

Increased takeaways on defense working with decreased turnovers on offense can flip some could have been losses into wins this season.

I feel like I've seen a ghost. Must be getting closer to football if Fingers is starting threads.

Good read.

When Fingers starts a thread, it is well researched, well organized, and has a valid point. He doesn't just post a thread for every article he reads, or just because he has two spare minutes. Well done.

Reactions: 3 people
Sure he can recruit...just not at the manic level you need in the SEC.

Oh hogwash. Be honest butchna, you just didn't want us to get orange turf. Then again, neither would I. But since Washington hasn't installed purple, even that isn't a concern anymore.

VN Store

Back