Trey Smith named Preseason All-SEC First Team

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
unnamed-10.jpg

ATLANTA – Tennessee football sophomore offensive lineman Trey Smith collected preseason All-SEC First Team honors on Friday, the league announced following SEC Media Days at the College Football Hall of Fame.

Smith was the nation’s top freshman offensive lineman in 2017, starting every game for the Vols and capturing FWAA Freshman All-American Team accolades in addition to All-SEC Second Team and All-Freshman honors by the coaches and media.

The versatile Jackson, Tenn., native earned playing time at right guard, left guard, left tackle and right tackle last fall. He became the first Vol true freshman to start at left tackle in over 30 years when he protected the blind side against Southern Miss on Nov. 4. Smith led the Vols with 55 knockdowns and finished as the SEC’s top-rated freshman offensive player according to Pro Football Focus College.

Smith missed the spring with a medical condition, but head coach Jeremy Pruitt said on Wednesday he would be back for the start of fall practice.

Trey Smith Captures Preseason All-SEC First Team Honors - FreakNotes

Reactions: 8 people
Who started as a freshman at LT for the Vols 30+ years ago? Galbreath was a OG, I believe, around then.

He just might go down as the best OL in the history of the school. He’s got a good start so far.

He MAY, and I hope he does. That said, UT has had some stellar OLs through the years, too many, to make that claim now is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay premature IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Not a wet blanket attempt,, but he has not been cleared yet.. CJP said he "expects" both Smith and Peterson to be available. That's not the same as saying both "Have" been cleared. While CJPs comments are promising, they are not definitive..

Not a wet blanket attempt,, but he has not been cleared yet.. CJP said he "expects" both Smith and Peterson to be available. That's not the same as saying both "Have" been cleared. While CJPs comments are promising, they are not definitive..

He will be back.

Congrats, Trey Smith!

Best in the conference at your position is good recognition.

(Of course most of us already know you're the best in the country too.)

I was worried about this too. I request an official announcement.

Reactions: 1 person
Neither of those guys have truly proven to be elite level players on a consistent basis.

This is true but neither have several of the 2nd and 3rd teams picks that the media selected. Case in point, the DB from florida picked over Nigel Warrior? SEC Media is just a popularity poll after the 1st team selections.

WnRKI4S.jpg

Technically, nobody has been cleared to play by the medical staff as of today.:)

I would think a Head Football Coach wouldn’t be on record saying that he expects a player be cleared by fall camp, unless he knew. Of course, he is first year coach, we will see and hope for best results.

VN Store

Back