Vols picked 6th

gag.gif

Reactions: 10 people
We gonna prove ‘em wrong by gar. 5th place will show those dullards.

Full media predictions:

WEST

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas

EAST

Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Reactions: 1 person
I hope the media is once again wrong about the Vols. They botch their predictions the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: 3 people
i have no idea how we will do, il be at the first game in person (it will be a great environment to see how the Vols come out and play) and judge the team week to week....not even thinking bout where we will end up at end of the season.

Reactions: 2 people
miss state looses its offensive guru to Florida ( gets ranked 3rd ) Florida gains an offensive guru ( gets ranked 3rd) Texas A&M spends Forrest Gump type money on a Natty winning coach and moragages the farm to build the biggest stadium in the SeC ( gets ranked 4th) Missouri hires one of the worse Tennessee coaches ever that’s also never held an OC job gets ranked 4th) . WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE ?

Reactions: 11 people
Full media predictions:

WEST

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas

EAST

Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Jimbo and his $7.5 better not finish fourth in West, or there'll be some splainin' to do. LSU 5th won't go over well either.

FWIW, I think it'll be UGA/SC in top two, Vandy at the bottom, and a big cluster in the middle, but figure we'll be in the 4-5 range.

History proves media usually VERY wrong on 2-3 every year. This year, I think they swung and missed on LSU, Fl, UT, Miss St predictions.

I think we'll finish higher than UK. Also Florida is to high. I'd be shocked if we finished higher than 4th though.

Full media predictions:
EAST

Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

What I find funny about this is that excluding UGA, the other teams ahead of us really as far as total defense and offense standings last year goes weren't exactly world beaters.

We took at least three of those teams to the final minute of the game with a chance to win. The Missouri game is where I believe the team finally gave up on Jones.

Defense rankings last year were as follows

31. UF
44. SC
81. Vols
82. Mizz
91. UK

Our defense was bad, but a lot of that could be put on how piss poor our offense was. Seemed like the defense was on the field a majority of the games we played. Defensively though we're right in there with the rest of the group and with Pruitt's specialty being defense I think we'll see an increase in overall production.

Surprisingly our pass defense allowed only 161.7 ypg, which was third nationally. It's our rush defense that really let us down, we allowed 251.3 ypg, which set us at 125 nationally, and we all know the SEC is more of a running conference, if we can even get that ranking up to mid 60s will make tremendous change for our team.

Now lets look at offensive rankings.

8. Mizz
103. UK
108. SC
109. FL
124. UT

So other than Mizz, the rest of us all sucked on offense last year, and all of us except UK, who is also I believe the only team in the East starting a new QB with NO FBS experience, are bringing in new OCs. This is where I think we'll separate ourselves from at least three of the four above us. We also are bringing in an experienced QB who was pretty good at Stanford. Helton I believe is going to make a good OC, least better than what we had last season.

I get we sucked hard last year, but looking at it objectively there is not a whole lot separating these teams. We get three of the four at home, so I could see if we make even the slightest improvement on both Offense and Defense, mainly Offense, then we could finish as high as second, but I don't see us going no lower than fourth.

Reactions: 2 people
miss state looses its offensive guru to Florida ( gets ranked 3rd ) Florida gains an offensive guru ( gets ranked 3rd) Texas A&M spends Forrest Gump type money on a Natty winning coach and moragages the farm to build the biggest stadium in the SeC ( gets ranked 4th) Missouri hires one of the worse Tennessee coaches ever that’s also never held an OC job gets ranked 4th) . WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE ?

Or...

Mississippi State has (arguably) the best QB in the SEC and gets to draw UK from the East. Mizzou has (arguably) the best or 2nd best QB in the SEC and draws Arky from the West.

I don't see MSU 3rd in the West but they have as much of an argument to it as LSU or A&M does....

What I find funny about this is that excluding UGA, the other teams ahead of us really as far as total defense and offense standings last year goes weren't exactly world beaters.

We took at least three of those teams to the final minute of the game with a chance to win. The Missouri game is where I believe the team finally gave up on Jones.

31. UF
44. SC
81. Vols
82. Mizz
91. UK

Our defense was bad, but a lot of that could be put on how piss poor our offense was. Seemed like the defense was on the field a majority of the games we played. Defensively though we're right in there with the rest of the group and with Pruitt's specialty being defense I think we'll see an increase in overall production.

Surprisingly our pass defense allowed only 161.7 ypg, which was third nationally. It's our rush defense that really let us down, we allowed 251.3 ypg, which set us at 125 nationally, and we all know the SEC is more of a running conference, if we can even get that ranking up to mid 60s will make tremendous change for our team.

8. Mizz
103. UK
108. SC
109. FL
124. UT

So other than Mizz, the rest of us all sucked on offense last year, and all of us except UK, who is also I believe the only team in the East starting a new QB with NO FBS experience, are bringing in new OCs. This is where I think we'll separate ourselves from at least three of the four above us. We also are bringing in an experienced QB who was pretty good at Stanford. Helton I believe is going to make a good OC, least better than what we had last season.

I get we sucked hard last year, but looking at it objectively there is not a whole lot separating these teams. We get three of the four at home, so I could see if we make even the slightest improvement on both Offense and Defense, mainly Offense, then we could finish as high as second, but I don't see us going no lower than fourth.

With regards to our offensive time of possession last year, you’re right, it was bad. However, it was 28:09 per game, so we possessed the ball right at half of the game on average, and the statistic was badly skewed by the Georgia Tech where GT held the ball 41+ minutes vs our 18+ minutes. Also, we won time of possession by 4 minutes vs Florida but the defense gave up that inexplicable td pass at the end and we lost that game.

Amazingly, we also had more offensive time of possession than Missouri in that 50-17 beatdown loss.

Bottom line, yes, the offense was poor, but the defense was worse imho. They virtually never got off the field early by forcing 3 and outs or forcing a turnover. Teams just lined up and ran it down our throats. The argument can be made that the defense definitely cost us the Kentucky game by not being able to stop Ky on their last drive....they allowed the Wildcats to run it down their throats and score the game-winning TD last.....and obviously after giving us the lead on their previous possession, our offense cane up a yard or two short at the very end of winning the game. Imho, regardless of what the offense did or didn’t do, the defense, especially vs the run, was atrocious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

31. UF
44. SC
81. Vols
82. Mizz
91. UK

8. Mizz
103. UK
108. SC
109. FL
124. UT

Nice info there.

Here is who everyone drew from the West (preseason ranking). If you subscribe to the theory that the range between 1 and 2 in the East is wider than 2 to 7, this may explain some of the rankings.

USCe - 6th and 4th (Ole Miss and A&M)
UF - 3rd and 5th (MSU and LSU)
Mizzou - 1st and 7th (Bama and Arky)
UT - 1st and 2nd (Bama and Auburn)
UK - 3rd and 4th (MSU and A&M)
Vandy - 6th and 7th (Arky and Ole Miss)

And in the West

MSU draws 3 and 5 (UF and UK)
A&M draws 2 and 5 (USC and UK)
LSU draws 1 and 3 (UGA and UF)

Last edited:

VN Store