Am I missing something with South Carolina?

It seems a lot of people think they can compete for the East this year. I dont see it. What am I missing? Last year, I saw a South Carolina team that was slightly less sucky than UT in a year where the Vols were historically bad. If Pruitt is the guy we think he is, the Vols should be at least third in the East behind Georgia and Florida. I just dont see any reasons to believe that South Carolina is going to be relevant in the East this year. Thoughts?

Reactions: 8 people
It seems a lot of people think they can compete for the East this year. I dont see it. What am I missing? Last year, I saw a South Carolina team that was slightly less sucky than UT in a year where the Vols were historically bad. If Pruitt is the guy we think he is, the Vols should be at least third in the East behind Georgia and Florida. I just dont see any reasons to believe that South Carolina is going to be relevant in the East this year. Thoughts?

Didn't lose a ton of guys, bring back experienced and talented QB, WR, RB, solid O-line, solid defense.

On paper they are more talented than Florida, certainly more talented than Tennessee. They do get Georgia at home in Week 2.

Reactions: 3 people
Didn't lose a ton of guys, bring back experienced and talented QB, WR, RB, solid O-line, solid defense.

On paper they are more talented than Florida, certainly more talented than Tennessee. They do get Georgia at home in Week 2.
How can you be certain South Carolina has more talent? They barely beat us in our worst year ever.

Reactions: 14 people
You are not missing anything. They've lost four straight to Kentucky and barely beat the worst Tennessee and Florida teams in history last year. I'm not saying they won't win some games, but winning the SEC East isn't happening.

Reactions: 17 people
The east is so bad, so they resort to the least terrible team in the division. They’ll be good on defense but they have a new OC

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think you're missing anything. If the worst Tennessee team in history had caught that last pass for a touchdown and one of the worst Florida teams had beaten them, like they normally do, they would have been 3-5 like they normally are.

Butch never beat Will, now our fans are Skurt of Will. Make fun of me after SC wins the East, until then ...pfftt.

Reactions: 10 people

From 0 SEC wins to at least 3rd? You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he's going to turn it around that fast.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think you're missing anything. If the worst Tennessee team in history had caught that last pass for a touchdown and one of the worst Florida teams had beaten them, like they normally do, they would have been 3-5 like they normally are.

Butch never beat Will, now our fans are Skurt of Will. Make fun of me after SC wins the East, until then ...pfftt.

Who you callin skeerd! :eek:hmy: :aggressive:

Still.. its Muschamp

The east sucks besides UGA and UGA lost a bunch of players and a lot of great newbies coming in. We aren’t great but could possibly reach 3-4 if we get lucky and Pruitt does good.

Last edited:
I don't think they will really compete for the East because it's Georgia's to lose, but I don't think it's an absolute crazy idea to have them as a darkhorse. I mean they have improved under Muschamp and hardly anyone thought that was going to happen.

He's done better than I ever thought, I wasn't sure he'd make it to his 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 person

We’re gonna beat Florida this year and finish ahead of them in the East.

Reactions: 2 people
They have been recruiting fairly well. There only big loss from last year was TE Hurst.

I guess experience and weak conference schedule with Georgia at home, Tennessee at home, at Florida, home for aTm and at Ole Miss for crossover teams. Only Arkansas could make this a weaker conference schedule.

Getting Georgia early is a plus because they replaced a ton of starters on defense as well as Chubb and Sony and best WR.

I think South Carolina has a gritty defense and 1 good offensive player (Debo). But other than that....they are basically Vandy with a little bit more talent and a slightly better coach.

That’s my take anyways.

Reactions: 4 people
SC is better than us, but not so much better that I am marking that as a loss as some of the SEC Network crew did.

They’ll probably come in 2nd in the East. More talent than Florida and Tennessee and didn’t lose a lot if people

VN Store

Back