CJP: Fall QB Decision To Be "Quick"

Of course it will be quick. He already knows it's JG. Gotta give Chryst a shot though, just in case he is better than he has ever been and shows something.

Reactions: 6 people
Of course it will be quick. He already knows it's JG. Gotta give Chryst a shot though, just in case he is better than he has ever been and shows something.

Don’t you think Helton would’ve known what they were getting when asking him to come on as a grad transfer? I’m not saying he should win the job, but they had a pretty good idea of what they were getting after scouting him and being in the same conference.

Reactions: 3 people
Music to my ears. With so many unknowns it will be nice to know who the starting QB is.

Reactions: 1 person
Don’t you think Helton would’ve known what they were getting when asking him to come on as a grad transfer? I’m not saying he should win the job, but they had a pretty good idea of what they were getting after scouting him and being in the same conference.

Given the Schedule, they probably wanted a solid back up who can play at SEC level. They probably weren't confident that Will McBride will stay through the season. So Keller makes obvious choice with a chance to compete for starting position.

Reactions: 7 people

Not sure what Helton/Pruitt thought, but I'm sure Chryst thought he'd have a great job of winning the starting job given this is his last year of eligibility. I figure he wouldn't even consider going to a school where he didn't think he'd have a great chance of starting.

Based on what I'm hearing/reading though, it sounds like it is most definitely JG's to lose. It's entirely plausible Chryst was brought on for depth because they were afraid McBride might leave.

Not sure what Helton/Pruitt thought, but I'm sure Chryst thought he'd have a great job of winning the starting job given this is his last year of eligibility. I figure he wouldn't even consider going to a school where he didn't think he'd have a great chance of starting.

Based on what I'm hearing/reading though, it sounds like it is most definitely JG's to lose. It's entirely plausible Chryst was brought on for depth because they were afraid McBride might leave.

I don't think it was the fear of McBride leaving so much as the lack of faith the coaches have in McBride to be effective if JG were to go down.

I don't think it was the fear of McBride leaving so much as the lack of faith the coaches have in McBride to be effective if JG were to go down.

I disagree with this. Pruitt said good things about McBride. Do I think that means anything? No, I don't. But if McBride does transfer, whatever school he goes to will have a great QB who will end up putting up some big numbers.

There is no way that JG starts the first game. KC wasn't signed to play back-up. And McBride was as effective as JG last year, which isn't saying anything.

Reactions: 2 people
There is no way that JG starts the first game. KC wasn't signed to play back-up. And McBride was as effective as JG last year, which isn't saying anything.

McBride I think was actually more effective then JG last year. He showed he could make decisions and wasn't afraid to get rid of the ball.

Did that bite him yes it did. But he made some good throws in there too as a "True Freshman" which shouldn't of had to happen.

Coach Pruitt knows he has to keep saying "it's wide open", but he already knows who will start...light'em up JG...:pepper::pepper:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Most people know it will come down to Guarantano or Chryst. Hopefully one separates from the rest.

Also, it’s amazing how much better a QB will play if we fix the O-line. Last year was not a good read on JG’s ability since he had a shaky, unpredictable pocket. Hard to be confident in throws with no blocking.

I agree that when McBride transfers he'll most likely be successful, with one caveat: As long as it's FCS or D2. That kid is nowhere near being a D1 QB. I appreciate him burning his shirt and stepping up, but he just doesn't have it for SEC level ball.

On Pruitt's comments, yes it could mean he loves him some Gitmo and wants him to be the guy, or it also could mean he's seen enough to know he's NOT the guy and is planning to sink or swim with Chryst. And recent history suggests a really good true freshman QB can be successful, just look at UGA & Bama. So it's possible CJP is leaning toward starting his year zero with a true freshman and see what happens. I still think he'd technically start an older player the first game, but get the freshman in early and see what goes.

I agree that when McBride transfers he'll most likely be successful, with one caveat: As long as it's FCS or D2. That kid is nowhere near being a D1 QB. I appreciate him burning his shirt and stepping up, but he just doesn't have it for SEC level ball.

On Pruitt's comments, yes it could mean he loves him some Gitmo and wants him to be the guy, or it also could mean he's seen enough to know he's NOT the guy and is planning to sink or swim with Chryst. And recent history suggests a really good true freshman QB can be successful, just look at UGA & Bama. So it's possible CJP is leaning toward starting his year zero with a true freshman and see what happens. I still think he'd technically start an older player the first game, but get the freshman in early and see what goes.

McBride will do great at Memphis. Should have stuck with them and Norvell.

Reactions: 3 people
I disagree with this. Pruitt said good things about McBride. Do I think that means anything? No, I don't. But if McBride does transfer, whatever school he goes to will have a great QB who will end up putting up some big numbers.

I'm confused by this. You used the fact that CJP said good things about him to prove why you disagree but then turn around and say that you don't think that means anything.

Keller chryst's intentions on why he came here holds no bearing on if he will start. Any player goes to a team expecting to play and make an impact, doesn't mean they will. Just like pruitt never would promise the job to JG when he showed up, he didn't promise the job or give assurances to chryst, that's not what a good coach does, that's some butch level stuff.

Reactions: 2 people
Keller chryst's intentions on why he came here holds no bearing on if he will start. Any player goes to a team expecting to play and make an impact, doesn't mean they will. Just like pruitt never would promise the job to JG when he showed up, he didn't promise the job or give assurances to chryst, that's not what a good coach does, that's some butch level stuff.

Thank you! Been preaching that on two different boards. :salute:

VN Store

Back