Auburn's Gus Malzahn joins Nick Saban in advocating for nine-game SEC schedule

They've been echoing each other's statements lately. Saban went off about the headset limit and Gus said the same thing a day or so later.

Yes and I’d like to see everybody get 2 permanent cross division rival to even it up a little.
Vols should have Bama and Ole Miss every year.
UGA should have Auburn and Arkansas or TAMU.
FLA should have LSU and MSU (because Mullen)

Last edited:
In the current CFB format, I do not think that it would be wise adding another conference game. Top teams in weaker conferences (Big 10 and Pac 12) already have it easy enough. By adding a 9th conference game, the SEC would make the path easier for teams such as Washington or Ohio State. What if UT was sitting at 9-1 with a Top 5 SOS and instead of playing MTSU, we had to go to LSU at night to play them while Washington gets to play Oregon State.

If the playoff goes to 8 teams with 5 conference champions, 2 wildcards, and the best non Power 5 team, I'd support a 9 conference game season more.

Reactions: 8 people
Saban wants no cupcakes and I agree. His argument is that more games would be interesting for the fans and a loss or two wouldn't hurt a team as bad. Also he said the fans pay so much for season tickets etc... they deserve good games every week. The fact is the bottom half of division 1 can't compete with the power 5 because the budget difference is too much to overcome.

Nine conference games means 4 at home & 5 away in some years - not gonna happen.

The solution? A six and fully rotating two will provide for every SEC team meeting every other SEC team at least once during the 4-year span of a student athlete's eligibility.

For the two pairs of East-West schools desiring to continue their annual rivalry (Auburn-Georgia and Alabama-Tennessee), they may schedule each other in those years the conference doesn't officially match them by utilizing one of the four remaining slots in their schedules - essentially an OOC game against a conference opponent.

With the P5 OOC requirement, these four schools would be signing up for 10 games against P5 opponents in those seasons when they're not officially paired by the SEC. Hey, if they want to do it, more power to them. Toss 'em a bone - Allow them an appeal to count each other as the OOC P5 in those years when availability of B1G, B12-2, PAC, or ACC opponent cannot be negotiated for the one of the three open dates.

What if more East-West pairs want to follow suit for their own annual rivalry? Let 'em. Who knows, maybe a 9-game conference schedule will come in the back door...

Reactions: 3 people
I would love this. 9 conference games and 1 P5 OOC and 1 cupcake.

Yes, but that’s only eleven
What you said but with two cupcakes (and one of those should be in state if possible for each state to help out their states smaller schools).

If I was in charge....

1. 8 team playoff (5 conference champs, 2 wildcards, and Top non Power 5 team)
2. Extra emphasis will be placed on Strength of Schedule for the 2 wildcard teams. I'm more impressed with a team going 2-1 against Bama, Auburn, and UGA than 3-0 against a bunch of Big 10 teams. Hell, Butch Jones went undefeated against the Big 10 West.
3. A 9 game conference schedule
4. An annual SEC - (Pac 12 or Big 10, etc. ) Challenge. Teams with 4 home conference games would have a home game in the Challenge. Teams with 5 home games will have a road game. Teams with legislatively mandated Power 5 nonconference games (UF-FSU; USC-Clemson; UK-Louisville, UGA-GT) can be excluded should they choose. A team must play a total of 10 Power 5 games each year.
5. 2 cupcake games. None against FCS schools.

Reactions: 1 person
While it would be great to see there's no way the SEC will do it since an SEC team has made it into the CFB playoff every year of its existence and not to mention they've also planned out the conference schedule till 2025 and they won't even consider changing it till that runs its course.

Yes, but that’s only eleven
What you said but with two cupcakes (and one of those should be in state if possible for each state to help out their states smaller schools).

Yes but I want an 8 team playoff.

Nine conference games means 4 at home & 5 away in some years - not gonna happen.

The solution? A six and fully rotating two will provide for every SEC team meeting every other SEC team at least once during the 4-year span of a student athlete's eligibility.

For the two pairs of East-West schools desiring to continue their annual rivalry (Auburn-Georgia and Alabama-Tennessee), they may schedule each other in those years the conference doesn't officially match them by utilizing one of the four remaining slots in their schedules - essentially an OOC game against a conference opponent.

With the P5 OOC requirement, these four schools would be signing up for 10 games against P5 opponents in those seasons when they're not officially paired by the SEC. Hey, if they want to do it, more power to them. Toss 'em a bone - Allow them an appeal to count each other as the OOC P5 in those years when availability of B1G, B12-2, PAC, or ACC opponent cannot be negotiated for the one of the three open dates.

What if more East-West pairs want to follow suit for their own annual rivalry? Let 'em. Who knows, maybe a 9-game conference schedule will come in the back door...

I would prefer the fully rotating process for the 2 western opponents. I like playing AL every year, but that limits our ability to play the other teams on a more frequent basis. For example, A&M joined the conference in 2012. We played at College Station in 2016, but A&M will not come to Knoxville until 2023. It should not take 11 years to cycle through home/away series. Using a 2-team rotational system, the time would then be cut to 7 years.

Gus needs to get his administration on board. Bama's president couldn't even get it up for a vote the last time it was proposed.

If we do not draw a hard line in the sand it will only be another decade or so and CFP's will be like march madness.

4 is a good number. If it must be expanded go-to 6 and give the top 2 a bye.

I would like 8 because I want the top 4 teams to play home playoff games, then move to traditional bowls. How awesome would it be if we were a top4 team hosting an Ohio State or USC in December? It would be cold, but Knoxville would be off the rails in anticipation and intensity.

I would like 8 because I want the top 4 teams to play home playoff games, then move to traditional bowls. How awesome would it be if we were a top4 team hosting an Ohio State or USC in December? It would be cold, but Knoxville would be off the rails in anticipation and intensity.

Good point. I hope I live to see that happen.

We still need to draw a hard line in regards to how many teams that make the playoffs.

That would mean we would get Alabama, Georgia, Florida every year plus the best 2 SEC West teams remaining in our yearly rotational.

It would be great for Miss St. Ole Miss, aTm and Ark as they would have their best season coincidentally with their Tennessee rotational game. Of course LSU and Auburn would be at their best when we play them too.

Typical Season:

Home:

#1 AL
#5 FL
#20 Mizzou
KY

Away:

#3 Aub
#2 GA
Vandy
#18 SCAR
#4 LSU