Who does everyone see winning the East?

KeepinUpWithJones

I hate my username too
Everyone is picking Georgia to win the East it seems, but with as much talent as they lost last year, I think they will struggle early on in the season. South Carolina has them week 2 and I would not be shocked to see the Dawgs fall. I think you may see a UGA team that rests on their laurels to a certain degree. I think South Carolina wins the east. Their offense has the potential to be really good this season, and Muschamp on defense is usally very good. It will be interesting to see. I am really rooting against Georgia. I am so tired of all their loudmouth fans.

Who do y'all see winning the East?

Reactions: 3 people
Everyone is picking Georgia to win the East it seems, but with as much talent as they lost last year, I think they will struggle early on in the season. South Carolina has them week 2 and I would not be shocked to see the Dawgs fall. I think you may see a UGA team that rests on their laurels to a certain degree. I think South Carolina wins the east. Their offense has the potential to be really good this season, and Muschamp on defense is usally very good. It will be interesting to see. I am really rooting against Georgia. I am so tired of all their loudmouth fans.

I think Georgia easy, but you make a good point about Georgia resting on their laurels a bit. I know they are under a new regime with Kirby, but that is a program (and especially a fanbase) that has had a tendency over the years to rest on laurels, take their foot off the gas, lose games that they shouldn't, and generally perform below expectations and their talent level.

I don't know how reliable the mood of the fans is for gauging the mood of a team, but it seemed like they were setting themselves up for a massive upset when they acted like they had just won the national championship after beating Notre Dame last year. They got way too elated after that victory, but once they clubbed Miss St it was clear they were here to stay.

I could see them doing some laurel-resting at least early in the season, and if they do that's dangerous because as you said they get South Carolina on the road in Week 2. They are clearly more talented than South Carolina, but that will not be an easy game, especially if they aren't mentally ready to play.

Georgia.
The only team that I see even having a chance to beat them in the east is South Carolina. Then again, what do I know?! I thought Dormady was going to be a real star at Tennessee.

Reactions: 4 people
UGA and it is most likely not even close. Roster is still loaded despite their losses from last year. UGA still has a proven QB and depth everywhere. Do not really understand the love for SCAR. The VOLS were absolutely horrible last year and still gave the gamecocks a run for their money while UGA made us look like a FCS squad. If we had competent coaching last year we probably win that game at home against SCAR.

Reactions: 4 people
Winner of the GA-SC game. Give Fla a puncher's chance of stealing it if it falls to a 5-3 team.

Even if Georgia does lose to South Carolina, Georgia probably wakes up and don't lose another conference game after that, and I bet South Carolina isn't quite good enough to avoid a couple of slip ups.

South Carolina does play A&M and they play Florida in The Swamp, and the trip there is right after a trip to Ole Miss (2 road conference games in a row isn't easy). I could very easily see them losing to both A&M and Florida.

Reactions: 2 people
Even if Georgia does lose to South Carolina, Georgia probably wakes up and don't lose another conference game after that, and I bet South Carolina isn't quite good enough to avoid a couple of slip ups.

South Carolina does play A&M and they play Florida in The Swamp, and the trip there is right after a trip to Ole Miss (2 road conference games in a row isn't easy). I could very easily see them losing to both A&M and Florida.

There’s a good chance Auburn beats them again this year.

Reactions: 1 person
UGA and it is most likely not even close. Roster is still loaded despite their losses from last year. UGA still has a proven QB and depth everywhere. Do not really understand the love for SCAR. The VOLS were absolutely horrible last year and still gave the gamecocks a run for their money while UGA made us look like a FCS squad. If we had competent coaching last year we probably win that game at home against SCAR.

I get the love for South Carolina - "trendy" pick (it just looks more interesting when an analyst doesn't pick a big name team) and they didn't lose much outside of a TE and a LB off last year's team. Bring back experienced and really talented guys at QB, RB, and WR. Offensive line is solid as is the defense, which is Muschamp's baby. Also pulled a pretty good recruiting class.

I don't think they'll win the East, but I get why they might contend. On paper, I think they are pretty clearly the second best team in the division, although it is entirely possible Florida sees big improvement and actually is the second best team.

The Tennessee Volunteers of course. Who else would it be???

Unless Georgia comes down with an epidemic of bubonic aids it would be pretty dumb to predict anyone else.

Second best chance is South Carolina IMO but even that is a long shot.

Reactions: 3 people
Georgia, no question. The rest of East will just beat each other to death. Kentucky has had South Carolina's number lately, but usually wets the bed against us and Florida; Florida plays LSU, and we have a good chance of beating them in Knoxville; I am not buying the South Carolina hype; we all know our situation.

I think Georgia cruises in the East at 7-1. Whoever is second is at 4-4 or 5-3.

Last edited:
I think if you're picking anybody except Georgia, you're just looking to be contrarian.

They're loaded with talent and the East is once again weak. I don't see any team in the east outside of Georgia doing better than 5-3, and I'd be hard pressed to find 3 losses in the conference for Georgia.

I get the love for South Carolina - "trendy" pick (it just looks more interesting when an analyst doesn't pick a big name team) and they didn't lose much outside of a TE and a LB off last year's team. Bring back experienced and really talented guys at QB, RB, and WR. Offensive line is solid as is the defense, which is Muschamp's baby. Also pulled a pretty good recruiting class.

I don't think they'll win the East, but I get why they might contend. On paper, I think they are pretty clearly the second best team in the division, although it is entirely possible Florida sees big improvement and actually is the second best team.

Good points. "On paper" UT has recruited just as good if not better than SC but they had better coaching last year. Hope CJP and CO. change this soon. SC is a pretender in my mind until I am proven wrong.

UGA will probably win it even if they do lose to South Carolina. South Carolina has a tendency to sh!t the bed in games they should win. Who knows? UT might be the ones to pull the upset and beat them....They've lost to KY three years in a row. You never can tell with SCAR.

Just to clarify on muschamps awesome scar team, the worst Tennessee team in history was one catch away from pulling out the victory against his defense.

UGA seems to be the pick, but I’ve saw crazy things happen in recent years as far as a new coach coming in, you just never know. If anybody recalls, Chizik went 3-9 in his last season at Auburn, then Malzahn comes in year 1 and makes the NC game. Not saying it’s gonna happen to us, but you just never know what can happen with a real coach and how the chips are gonna fall. Our recruiting hasn’t been on a Vandy level, it’s been right there with Auburn’s, so who knows. I’m thinking it’s gonna be UGA, but I can’t help but think Pruitt is a master motivator by the way the players are responding.

I would agree with the complacency about Georgia had they won, instead they still have a chip on their shoulder. They asked J.R. Reed about winning the SEC last year, he said it didn’t mean anything because they lost the championship game. Doesn’t sound complacent.

I do think this years team looks different, think it will be the offense that has to carry them, at least early. The biggest thing they have to replace is leadership, not talent. They are actually more talented as a team with 7 5-stars in this class alone and depending on formation, will have a 5 star starting at every position except Center and he is All-SEC. Biggest guy to replace is Roquan Smith imo. One guy can’t replace him or his stats. By committee.

They will lose an SEC game, everyone in the SEC does, including Bama but they normally don’t lose in the big games (minus AU), normally a normal game where Bama doesn’t bring their A game. If the same holds true, SC will lose 14+ to UGA, the line is around 12-14 points anyway and guys like Aheridan think it should be higher. McElroy says the same, basically should be a blowout. He says there is one player on SC’s roster that would start at UGA.

That said, not buying it, weird things happen in Columbia and it seems it is always close there. Since 2000, UGA QBs have only thrown 5 TD in WB stadium. So, if you are inclined to bet...

I do think Ga wins, not sure I’m buying covering that line. I think LSU bites them. I don’t see SC and UGA owns AU, THAT will be a blowout.

There’s a good chance Auburn beats them again this year.

Auburn is great at home under Malzahn. On the road, not so much. They had both UGA and Alabama at home last year. They face both on the road this year. Malzahn has never beaten UGA in Athens under Malzahn. Even when Richt was there.

Auburn is great at home under Malzahn. On the road, not so much. They had both UGA and Alabama at home last year. They face both on the road this year. Malzahn has never beaten UGA in Athens under Malzahn. Even when Richt was there.

Auburn is the strangest team in the SEC. Never can tell with them because they are so erratic. As someone posted earlier, 3-9 one year then playing for a NC the next.

VN Store

Back