Retired jersey question?

dyllisvol42

I was thinking today about the jerseys we have retired for the football program. White, Manning, Atkins etc. I was thinking it would be kind of cool to let certain seniors or players who have showed great leadership and character on and off the field wear these numbers. Kind of show respect to the great players we have had at Tennessee. What do you guys think or just keep them retired.

Honestly if we keep retiring jerseys, we may run out of numbers for players to wear lol

Lots of jerseys have been retired at UT, but very few numbers have been retired. As I recall the only numbers that are retired are the four WWII men. Big difference.

Reactions: 2 people
Lots of jerseys have been retired at UT, but very few numbers have been retired. As I recall the only numbers that are retired are the four WWII men. Big difference.

I thought 92 and 16 were retired, as well.

Reactions: 1 person

The WWII 4, plus Doug Atkins(91), Reggie White(92), Peyton Manning(16)

Reactions: 3 people
If it were up to me, the names and numbers would still be on the stadium like a ring of honor, but all the numbers would come out of retirement.

Reactions: 1 person
Kentucky basketball has like 867 retired numbers, LOL. Some of them more than once. I wish we would stop the practice. Honor the greats somehow and stop retiring #s and building friggin' statues.

To answer the original question, no. Retired numbers are meant to never be worn again.

The 4 numbers retired for giving their all in WWII are absolutely deserved. I don't think we could call ourselves volunteers if we didn't.

Beyond that, the University actually laid down criteria to retire any additional numbers. Basically you do have to be the GOAT. It's unlikely many more will happen any time immediately.

Tennessee Football & Basketball Retired Number Criteria - Rocky Top Talk

If it were up to me, the names and numbers would still be on the stadium like a ring of honor, but all the numbers would come out of retirement.

That is my opinion as well. Honor the guys but not retire the numbers

VN Store

Back